What's new

Appreciation for "Truman Show" (1 Viewer)

Chris

Senior HTF Member
We were talking the other night with friends about all the reality TV shows, and how outrageous they continue to get. The discussion came out of reviews/comments about "The Swan" and others..

At the end, after talking about it, we were thinking about what flick to watch and popped in "The Truman Show" to somewhat go along with the conversation.

I hadn't seen the movie in quite a while, but it surprises me at this moment how relevent this movie is today.. not so much for the setting/etc. but what I find more interesting about it is how people watching it (within the movie) accept it and justify it "it's OK" to those who campaign against it "when will it end"

What hits me about that is in reference to the swan and other shows, you've got people now starting to campaign "we're going too far" while others sit back and accept it and play along.

I certainly hope at some point, they'll come up with an enhanced DVD of this movie, something better then what was issued. :)

Chris

Senior HTF Member
We were talking the other night with friends about all the reality TV shows, and how outrageous they continue to get. The discussion came out of reviews/comments about "The Swan" and others..

At the end, after talking about it, we were thinking about what flick to watch and popped in "The Truman Show" to somewhat go along with the conversation.

I hadn't seen the movie in quite a while, but it surprises me at this moment how relevent this movie is today.. not so much for the setting/etc. but what I find more interesting about it is how people watching it (within the movie) accept it and justify it "it's OK" to those who campaign against it "when will it end"

What hits me about that is in reference to the swan and other shows, you've got people now starting to campaign "we're going too far" while others sit back and accept it and play along.

I certainly hope at some point, they'll come up with an enhanced DVD of this movie, something better then what was issued. :)

Steve Felix

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Steve Felix
I agree that despite the unusual AR of this film we need an anamorphic version.

We're standing right at the edge of the reality of The Truman Show. TV won't be able to take the next step of completely taking over a life (I hope) but what we have now is more mean spirited and distasteful, if not as deeply immoral.

And speaking of the prescience of writer Andrew Niccol, this quote from the New York Times' version of this story sounds right out of Gattaca:

Steve Felix

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Steve Felix
I agree that despite the unusual AR of this film we need an anamorphic version.

We're standing right at the edge of the reality of The Truman Show. TV won't be able to take the next step of completely taking over a life (I hope) but what we have now is more mean spirited and distasteful, if not as deeply immoral.

And speaking of the prescience of writer Andrew Niccol, this quote from the New York Times' version of this story sounds right out of Gattaca:

Fred Bang

Stunt Coordinator
I agree that Truman Show is one of the best and intelligent movie I've ever seen. Its also funny how the movie is built to make us wonder what the hell is going on in the first half , and then is supposed to surprise us in the middle when we learn Truman is on on live-TV

Its a shame that the trailer sold the whole concept (which is understandable from a marketing point of view)

Fred Bang

Stunt Coordinator
I agree that Truman Show is one of the best and intelligent movie I've ever seen. Its also funny how the movie is built to make us wonder what the hell is going on in the first half , and then is supposed to surprise us in the middle when we learn Truman is on on live-TV

Its a shame that the trailer sold the whole concept (which is understandable from a marketing point of view)

Nathan Eddy

Second Unit
I absolutely love Truman Show. I love the existential themes of revolting against the apparent meaningless of one's life, revolting against the social/historical role we find ourselves thrown into. I like the idea that Truman is ultimately responsible for his predicament by not trying hard enough to "break out" of the imposed boundaries on his existence. In the end, he refuses this world that was created for him, refuses the social role he is expected to play, and refuses to accept that his life is meaningless.

Really, we are all in our own little Truman Shows. The only difference is fewer people are watching ours. But they're all watching. Our being-in-the-world is constituted in part by our being-with-others. To be human is to be a in a relationship with others, to exist under their scrutiny.

By recognizing and rejecting what everyone else quietly, meekly takes for granted, Truman is a true existential hero. His decision to go after the girl, to go to Fiji, to face his biggest fear, these are all just smaller parts of his decision to challenge his world-view, his ontology, the structure of his being. In doing so, he fully realizes himself and takes control of his life. There is more under our control than we dream possible, quietly taking for granted that our problems are to blame on the government, the Democrats, the Republicans, corporations, CEOs, white men, our parents, our friends, and never ourselves. Truman shows us otherwise.

Oh yeah, and there's the parallel to a few TV shows currently on the tube. I think whether or not people are interested in plastic surgery is much less interesting than why people meekly accept the unhappy lives they find themselves in.

Nathan Eddy

Second Unit
I absolutely love Truman Show. I love the existential themes of revolting against the apparent meaningless of one's life, revolting against the social/historical role we find ourselves thrown into. I like the idea that Truman is ultimately responsible for his predicament by not trying hard enough to "break out" of the imposed boundaries on his existence. In the end, he refuses this world that was created for him, refuses the social role he is expected to play, and refuses to accept that his life is meaningless.

Really, we are all in our own little Truman Shows. The only difference is fewer people are watching ours. But they're all watching. Our being-in-the-world is constituted in part by our being-with-others. To be human is to be a in a relationship with others, to exist under their scrutiny.

By recognizing and rejecting what everyone else quietly, meekly takes for granted, Truman is a true existential hero. His decision to go after the girl, to go to Fiji, to face his biggest fear, these are all just smaller parts of his decision to challenge his world-view, his ontology, the structure of his being. In doing so, he fully realizes himself and takes control of his life. There is more under our control than we dream possible, quietly taking for granted that our problems are to blame on the government, the Democrats, the Republicans, corporations, CEOs, white men, our parents, our friends, and never ourselves. Truman shows us otherwise.

Oh yeah, and there's the parallel to a few TV shows currently on the tube. I think whether or not people are interested in plastic surgery is much less interesting than why people meekly accept the unhappy lives they find themselves in.

Nathan Eddy

Second Unit
A couple of my favorite Truman Show quotes:

“The prisoner likes his cage.”
“We accept the world with which we are presented.”

Nathan Eddy

Second Unit
A couple of my favorite Truman Show quotes:

“The prisoner likes his cage.”
“We accept the world with which we are presented.”

Chris

Senior HTF Member
One of the things I noticed while watching it again were the shirts worn by the crew.

"Love Him
Protect Him"

You have to think in the minds of the characters they were "protecting him" from harm or serious injury, theft, crime, etc..

But in the darker side of the film, they were "protecting him" from reality, the truth, the ability to grow..

Chris

Senior HTF Member
One of the things I noticed while watching it again were the shirts worn by the crew.

"Love Him
Protect Him"

You have to think in the minds of the characters they were "protecting him" from harm or serious injury, theft, crime, etc..

But in the darker side of the film, they were "protecting him" from reality, the truth, the ability to grow..

Steve Felix

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Steve Felix
I agree, the shirts reveal the audience and crew as a type of misguided parent. I haven't seen the movie in a while but I don't remember any overt indication that the crew wasn't well intentioned, albeit blind. The primary deviation of the movie's prediction from today's reality show wasteland is that "The Truman Show" is good natured, as I alluded to earlier. Combine this movie with the darkness of Network and you have a pretty sharp picture of modern television.

Steve Felix

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Steve Felix
I agree, the shirts reveal the audience and crew as a type of misguided parent. I haven't seen the movie in a while but I don't remember any overt indication that the crew wasn't well intentioned, albeit blind. The primary deviation of the movie's prediction from today's reality show wasteland is that "The Truman Show" is good natured, as I alluded to earlier. Combine this movie with the darkness of Network and you have a pretty sharp picture of modern television.

Jim Dalton

Stunt Coordinator
One of my all-time favorite movies. I'm still waiting for a special edition with a whole bunch of extras and would gladly double-dip for it.

It's funny though. Me and the misses were watching EDtv the other night and the next day, I watched the Ron Howard commentary to it. GREAT.

Jim Dalton

Stunt Coordinator
One of my all-time favorite movies. I'm still waiting for a special edition with a whole bunch of extras and would gladly double-dip for it.

It's funny though. Me and the misses were watching EDtv the other night and the next day, I watched the Ron Howard commentary to it. GREAT.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation482
Recent bookmarks