Appreciation at Best Buy for Widescreen Wonka info!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by David Lambert, Aug 28, 2001.

1. David Lambert

David Lambert Executive Producer

At lunch I ran by Best Buy to pick up the few titles that I still needed for this week's street dates (the ones that noone broke street date on yet!). [​IMG]
    While there I told the media dept. supervisor, who has often helped me in the past, about the difference between the Wonka version they put out today and the Nov. 13th WS edition. She was grateful. Not only had she not heard about it from corporate or anywhere else, not only did she want to pass it on to customers, but she was also pleased that she could wait a few weeks for her personal WS copy!
    Then, on our way to check out, my wife and I saw two ladies picking up Wonka from the floor display. My wife says, "You gonna say something?", and I thought about it and said "Why not?".
    I asked "Excuse me, do either of you care whether your DVD's are widescreen, or do you want fullscreen, or does it matter to you?". They each responded different: the one on my left emphasized widescree, and the one on my right (her friend) said it didn't matter to her. The WS lady quickly explained why WS is better.
    I followed up by telling them about the petition and how WB decided to put out a WS version on Nov. 13, and if they want that version they could just wait a couple of months. They were excited and grateful for the info, especially the one on the left. She hadn't even realized it wasn't WS!!
    I was pleased that I could help. See, WB...you DID do the right thing!!! And we all appreciate it today!
    ------------------
    DAVE/Memphis
    Widescreen is Family Fun!
    [​IMG]

2. Sean Moon

Sean Moon Cinematographer

I went to my local Best Buy at 11 am today and they almst sold out of Wonka...shameful.
    ------------------
    [​IMG]

3. StephenT

StephenT Stunt Coordinator

I went to mine at lunch, and they had sold some Wonka VHS. However, the DVDs looked a lot less picked over. What made me mad was they didn't have Kramer vs Kramer. It was in their computer as being released today, but a copy couldn't be found on the shelves or in the back. I did pick up Forrest Gump though.
    ------------------
    Stephen

4. SteveA

SteveA Supporting Actor

I went to Wal-Mart during lunch today and they had a big Willy Wonka display set up - with a large percentage of the DVD copies already gone. What a shame.

5. William Ward

William Ward Supporting Actor

Anyone else want to get a bunch of circle stickers, write NOT WIDESCREEN on them and stick them to all the Willy Wonka's at Wal-Mart or other retailers???
    ------------------
    William
    Go Bucs!!
    MyDVDs

6. Dave H

Dave H Producer

The only thing that bothers me about all of this is many people don't realize that a widescreen is coming and they went ahead and bought the full screen edition. (People who prefer widescreen but are not anal about it like we are.) This will, to some degree, hurt widescreen sales since people will have already bought the full screen edition by November. Then, I can see Warner using their "research" to say something to the effect: "See...we told you so...more people bought the full screen, blah, blah, blah." Do you see where this might lead?

7. Joshua Clinard

Joshua Clinard Screenwriter

Joshua Clinard
  8. David Lambert

After work I swung by Circuit Shitty to see what was going on there.
    I took a different route there. I took the only copy of Wonka I saw (not sure if it was selling that good or if they simply ordered low...not sure if I want to know!) to the ladies at the cashwrap.
    Keep in mind that I've seen these two ladies before; they don't care for me and I don't care for them either. Why not? I ask them questions and they never know the answers. Questions like: "How much is this item that is missing the price tag?". Y'know...questions that really make them think hard! [​IMG]
    So I asked them a whopper today. Like I said, I showed them the Wonka copy they had and asked them "Is this available in Widescreen?"
    "It's the only way we got that movie today."
    "I bought a widescreen TV from you last week for over $2000; is there going to be a version of Willie Wonka that uses the widescreen, or am I stuck with a mangled version of this film?"
    "You can buy THAT version of the movie that you're holding!"
    "No I can't. I'll go put it back. Thanks."
    Apparently, noone at corporate has passed word down the line that they will get a widescreen version of this movie on Nov. 13th. So, they're telling their WS customers to buy the MAR version. Shit.
    WB has done us up correctly by agreeing to make the OAR version of the film. But now they need to get their retailers to COMMUNICATE this info to the customers!
    Otherwise, like someone posted above, many folks will buy the fullframe version instead, and then just be pissed when the WS version hits, and not be able to exchange their open copy of today's edition...or else never notice that there's a difference and think they've got the only version they need. Either way, Warner's sale figures will erroneously prove "them" right and "us" wrong. Double-shit.
    ------------------
    DAVE/Memphis
    Widescreen is Family Fun!
    [​IMG]

9. Jan Strnad

Jan Strnad Screenwriter

At this point, it's out of our hands.
    J6P will buy the full screen Wonka, as we knew he would.
    What remains to be seen is how many True Enthusiasts will NOT buy Wonka but will wait until November.
    Let's keep our fingers crossed that we make a difference!
    ------------------
    http://www.mindspring.com/~atombrain/risenintro.html
    Jan Strnad
    author of Risen and
    "The AtomBrain Guide to Letterboxing"

10. Jeff Ulmer

Jeff Ulmer Producer

Well, I also told the manager at my local DVD outlet about the widescreen issue, and he said he was going to do some signage up about it.
    ------------------
    Zardoz Online | Burt Lancaster is The Swimmer | dOc

11. Keith Plucker

Keith Plucker Screenwriter

Keith Plucker
    I almost posted a thread about this, something titled like "Full Screen Wonka...damage already done?".
    I believe what Dave H mentioned earlier will be the case. Many people will be purchasing the full screen version of WW based on its new release and store promotion. I doubt any retailer has a disclaimer on the display saying "This is a full screen version modified to fit your TV. If you want the movie in widescreen, wait till Nov." I also feel that this will hurt the widescreen release of the new DVD and that WB Home Video will then have the sales numbers it needs to justify its pan & scan family movie policy.
    There are just too many average consumers in the DVD market today for the enthusiast to overcome. I feel many of these average Joes would purchase a widescreen version just as readily as they would a full screen version, but since the full screen version came first and got the promotion, that is what they will end up buying in the largest numbers.
    I hope I am wrong.
    -KeithP

12. GlennH

GlennH Cinematographer

Glenn
    First of all, David, did you really think that some flunky at the lowest rung of the Circuit City corporate ladder would be on top of information that was only released from Warner two business days ago? This in a store that handles thousands of products? Did you expect they would have an emergency de-briefing on this crisis? I think we have to step back and realize that the general populace and even the retailers just aren't on top of every detail and nuance of this stuff like all of us DVD nerds are. It just doesn't matter to them, as much as we'd like it to. [​IMG]
    As to the damage already being done, I think that's true to an extent. On the other hand a lot of folks don't rush right out and buy right away. Tons more DVDs will be sold after Nov 13 when the holiday buying season is in full swing. So the WS version may have a chance then.
    Really, this is no different that when a fullframe and WS version are released simultaneously, but a particular store only puts one on the shelf, or a casual buyer only notices one. I have a friend who has a couple hundred DVDs, usually prefers widescreen, but isn't fanatical about it. He bought "Remember the Titans" -- I was going to borrow it till I asked him which version it was. He didn't know there were two. Turns out it was the fullframe one. I passed on borrowing it. He never bothered to return it for the WS version. It's things like that that make me wish they would offer movies ONLY in OAR.

13. Patrick Scott

Well how about this. When you go into a store and treat the employees like shit how do you expect them to react? Glenn is correct in his observations, that being the Willy Wonka in it' correct OAR should be priority number 1 for your average store clerk, hell most of them dont come to this board nor do they care about it being OAR, now we can call them J6P to make ourselves feel better about our hobby, but in the end are we not all really J6P in one field or another. Every day I get in my truck and drive to work, that is mostly what my truck is for. Now somewhere on this great world wide web is aforum dedicated to tricking out trucks and those who pursue that hobby can not fathom why someone would not feel the same way about the hobby of customizing trucks. Get my point. To someone else we are J6P, so what, life goes on.
    One other thing of note, I am one of those flunkies that work at Wal-mart here in Albuquerque NM. When I set up the Willy Wonka display this morning I put a little sign up that said full screen, widescreeen available Nov 13th. I will also tell you that on the whole display there was a total of 8 Willy Wonka DVD's. Now want to here something really interesting?!! On the Willy Wonka Pallet display was See Spot Run. There were about 20 of those DVD's and every single one of them was WIDESCREEN!!!! Go figure.
    scott
    spmstudios.com

14. Justin Lane

Justin Lane Cinematographer

People who truly care about OAR should have the sense to read the DVD they are going to purchase to see the aspect ratio it will be presented. If they are true to their convictions they will not be purchase the film, plaun and simple.
    If someone just wants to buy the film for the film, and could give a rats ass about OAR why should any of us harass these people to buy another version of a film?
    Or why should any of us act rude like David, clearly lying about his knowledge to employees at the store to make a point that they could care less about?
    Preach education on OAR all you want, but in the end there are people who still do not care. Call them Joe Six Packs if you want, but in the end they are movie lovers just like the rest of us. It just does not take OAR to please them. For them the content of the film itself is enough. I think I just discovered a dirty little secret we here on the HTF continually try to hide....films can be enjoyable when they are not OAR..shhh...don't let the word out.
    J
    ------------------
    Don't be a luddy-duddy! Don't be a mooncalf! Don't be a jabbernowl!

15. David Lambert

16. GlennH

GlennH Cinematographer

Glenn
    I think you should just boycott CC altogether anyway. I don't think the statute of limitations on punishment for the whole DIVX fiasco is up quite yet. [​IMG]
    I respect your knowledge and background in retail; I've never worked in that arena. But I know that if I walked into my local BB or CC and quizzed the sales associates (better term than "flunkies"?) about aspect ratios or any other semi-technical aspect of DVD I would expect at least 75% of them to give me a blank stare and most of the rest to make something up that was totally wrong. Like the time I made some comment at BB about a DVD player having "progressive-scan" capability and the salesdude went off on a completely uninformed speech about it. I just smiled and shook my head yes and chuckled as I walked away.

17. Joe McCabe

Joe McCabe Second Unit

Well, as of 8:30 pm last night, my local Best Buy (Wilmington DE) had TONS of Wonka left.
    They had a big cardboard display, that looked as if maybe 10 were removed. In the new release section, there was a FULL rack of Wonka.
    And in the "Family" section there was an almost full rack.
    Now, I can't say whether this was a result of a recent re-stock, but I doubt it.
    By the way, ALL of the Forrest Gump discs were gone!!!
    Hopefully, they'll get some more in, while they're still $17.99.

18. Thomas_A

Thomas_A Second Unit

Went in to CC as usual for Tuesday...We had to hunt down the wonka's...no big display at all..they had 3 out. A freind I aquainted shopping there was like..I'm gonna get it.. but I told him of the widescreen version comming out later..and he wisely put it back. I did not buy it either.. rather have the Oar...
    No body at that store new about it...but they are all waiting now [​IMG]
    Isn't life great!?
    ------------------
    So far, So good, So what
    http://members.cardomain.com/bugers
    http://thomas2307.homestead.com/thomasworld.html

19. Scott Wong

Scott Wong Second Unit

They didn't have many Wonka's left at my local Best Buy yesterday when I was looking around. [​IMG] The copies that were left, I removed from the shelf and hid at various locations around the store while walking around. heh heh... [​IMG]
    Scott.
    ------------------
    Scott's DVD List

20. Steve Tannehill

Steve Tannehill Ambassador

Steve Tannehill
    Well my Best Buy had an interesting display of contrasts.
    There were two standee/cartons back-to-back with two different Warner "Family Entertainment" movies. One was Wonka and the other one was some dog movie with Jeff Daniels.
    The dog movie was in anamorphic widescreen. I am befuddled to explain how Warner could decide to make one of their family releases anamorphic widescreen, and the other full frame. It defies logic.
    At least we get Wonka in Widescreen in a couple of months.
    - Steve
    ------------------
    [​IMG]
    Got Remo?