What's new

Applying simple economics to widescreen/director's "intent" debates (1 Viewer)

Sam R. Aucoin

Stunt Coordinator
Over the past few years, I have noticed (and participated in) several threads that have dealt with pan&scan, movies edited for content, etc.
The overwhelming majority has essentially stated that, at the very least, if a film is to be released to the public for renting or ownership, then the film should be released in the same format at was presented for the original theatrical release. This, obviously, includes the "pro-OAR" groups (such as this forum, and of which I include myself as a "member"), as well as those who are against tampering, of any kind, with a movie once it has been theatrically released.
But I have also noticed a select group (which I believe I can safely call a "vocal minority") that even objects to DIRECTORS coming back and making changes to "original" versions of theatrical movies. The best known example is, of course, the initial Star Wars Trilogy. Others include E.T., Close Encounters of the Third Kind, Blade Runner - obviously the list is finite, but it is substantial.
After reading my post so far, many of you may be thinking, "Okay, I probably agree with what he is saying, as his statements are basically assertions of fact, and can probably be supported with empirical evidence. But what in the hell does all that have to do with this "economic" business he says in his title?"
Well, this is what I mean :)
If directors are as passionate about their movies at they generally claim, and they thoroughly detest the fact that their movies are later edited for whatever reason (be it pan&scan, removal or overdubbing of cursing to show films on television in prime time on non-cable channels, etc.), why don't they ALL get together (or at least a sizeable, very influential majority, including the likes of Lucas, Spielberg, Cameron, Scorsese, et al.) and tell the studios: "We have decided that we will no longer make any more movies unless you, the studios, agree to show/release all movies made by us in their original theatrical release format".
Before you laugh, consider the following:
1. I know (or know of) many, many people who are so passionate about their work that they would do this very thing when it came to THEIR "art". The venerable Mike Knapp is just one such example - he told me in one thread that he EXPECTED that none of his art would ever be modified, in any way, by any of his clients, EVEN AFTER THE ART WAS SOLD. Now, by citing Mike, I am NOT soliciting comments on his ethics or decision - I cite him ONLY as an example of the first sentence I made in this numbered paragraph.
2. All of the directors I just mentioned are fabulously wealthy by, I think, any definition used by the average American. In other words, I seriously doubt that any of them needs to make any more movies for their livelihood.
3. We, the general public, do EXACTLY what I proposed the directors SHOULD do (whether intentionally, or as Adam Smith said, with a collective "invisible hand"), except we do it on the buying end. Generally, we buy those things we like, and don't buy those things we don't like. If a sufficient number of people buy something, it succeeds and continues to be available; if not, it goes away (ala "New Coke"; although it is still available, it is so in very limited markets, and for all practical purposes, it is "gone").
So, as "we" continue to go along bashing "Joe Sixpack" for "causing" the release of pan&scan/edited-for-content-movies, I think we also need to look at the makers (that is, directors) of the product as well.
Wal-Mart cannot sell a movie that does not get released by a studio for public consumption. A studio cannot release a movie for public consumption until it has a movie to release. A movie cannot be made without a director. And finally, no one forces directors to make movies (unless they are contractually obligated to do so, and I think this would be a very small number).
If Mike Knapp can feel as passionately as he does about his work to the point that he would attempt to buy back his work if he gets wind that it is about to be changed from his original design, why can't a Scorcese do essentially the same thing by saying, "I will make the film, but only if you agree to not distribute it in ANY format other than the format of its original theatrical presentation"?
Just some thoughts . . .

Damin J Toell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Damin J. Toell
2. All of the directors I just mentioned are fabulously wealthy by, I think, any definition used by the average American. In other words, I seriously doubt that any of them needs to make any more movies for their livelihood.
why can't a Scorcese do essentially the same thing by saying, "I will make the film, but only if you agree to not distribute it in ANY format other than the format of its original theatrical presentation"?
Some directors, while perhaps not needing any more money for their personal wealth, need money from studios and other investors to make movies. Those who control the purse strings are in the position of power. If Scorcese makes such a demand, he simply won't get a budget. The Gangs of New York issue shows who has the real power: the studios.
DJ

John_Berger

Senior HTF Member
The Gangs of New York issue shows who has the real power: the studios.
Please elaborate. I'm not familiar with this issue.

However, on the opposite side, did not the Wachowski brothers refuse to allow "The Matrix" in pan-and-scan on DVD even though the studio wanted it?

John Berggren

Senior HTF Member
I know that Michael Bay, for all his drawbacks, is a staunch OAR advocate. You'll see this in all video releases of PEARL HARBOR, which the mouse would LOVE to release in squareMAR.

I would love to see other directors do the same. I thought Speilberg did for a while, but he caved even with the company he OWNS!

Glenn Overholt

Senior HTF Member
From what I have read here, the directors sign a contract that gives them no say whatsoever on any video releases. It is all up to the studios.

I do agree with you, though. It woud be nice if a director refused to sign a contract unless it stipulated that any/all video releases shall only be in their OAR, but to date I don't think that has happened.

If I can dream, I'd love to have a movie get started that the public would really be clammoring to get released, only to have the director insist on OAR only, the studio turning him/her down and then the director goes public with it.

I'm crossing my fingers.

Glenn

John_Berger

Senior HTF Member
Guess who is winning that battle.
Oh.
I'm quite disappointed that Mr. Scorsese's desires are apparently not even being considered. I really don't understand these kinds of battles, particularly with the seamless branching functions of DVDs. They can still have both cuts of the movie on the same disc.
I guess that that would make sense though, wouldn't it? :frowning:
Out of curiosity, what are the running times that are in dispute?

Sam R. Aucoin

Stunt Coordinator
"If Scorcese makes such a demand, he simply won't get a budget."

But Damin, my point exactly - who needs whom, more? Does Scorcese need the studio to make his movie more than the studio needs a director like Scorcese to make the movie?

Damin J Toell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Damin J. Toell
But Damin, my point exactly - who needs whom, more? Does Scorcese need the studio to make his movie more than the studio needs a director like Scorcese to make the movie?
Scorcese needs the studio more. Much, much more. If Scorcese doesn't get money, he doesn't make movies. If a studio doesn't get Scorcese, they can get one of thousands of other eager filmmakers looking for work. If Scorcese never makes another film again, no studio will suffer a cognizable loss.

DJ

Peter Kim

Screenwriter
Scorcese needs the studio more. Much, much more. If Scorcese doesn't get money, he doesn't make movies. If a studio doesn't get Scorcese, they can get one of thousands of other eager filmmakers looking for work. If Scorcese never makes another film again, no studio will suffer a cognizable loss.
This would only be true if the Hollywood community existed in a vacuum and consisted of one studio. In other words, a monopoly. Yet, this does not exist. Why Scorcese can and does wield power...Scorcese, and more importantly, the studio in contention, are keenly aware of the competing studios' interest in Scorcese. In other words, there are a line of suitors waiting outside the porch.

Simply, free agency exists and flourishes in the directorial plane. Sam's scenario of a union of directors, flying a common banner of OAR-only, would work since studios as a collective is rare, and instead much more vigilant when it comes to the bottom line. And, where this vigilance triggers a free-for-all. So if that bottom line can potentially receive a boost by the signing of a 'visionary' director, despite his demands, any of the other studios would bear the risk.

And the brotherhood that could command this respect and dictate demands to the studio? Those that have a history of box office bonanzas and to a lesser degree, those who are universally critically acclaimed, in spite of tenuous BO receipts - Spielberg, Scorcese, Cameron, and Lucas.

If this Fearsome Four anchored a shared immovable artistic flag of integrity, while some might balk and yield, there is sure to be a studio that would concede to their demands in order to lay exlusive claim to these most bankable of directors.

So, while free agency is used as a tool by the directors, greed would prevent the studios from ever colluding. Thus, leaving musical chairs as the only game that the studios can play. And what a scramble it would be, where the studio left without a chair is dealt a conspicuous and cognizable loss.

Damin J Toell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Damin J. Toell
GONY said:
Spielberg already runs his own studio, and even they don't do OAR-only releases. It's a dream that will never happen, due to both the directors and the studios. Both sides are simply much more realistic in their approach than what has been suggested here.
DJ

Peter Kim

Screenwriter
What line of suitors is there to give any director, even Scorcese, the big budgets they want and the right to have video AR control? If this line existed, why haven't they been beating down anyone's door, offering a ton of money and absolute control?
I'm only suggesting what could arise from a new solidarity. Scorcese alone,...perhaps not. But a bunch of the A + filmmakers, both bankable and those with a critically acclaimed opus, bound together in an inextricably intertwined solidarity, could forge a definite and indelible control over AR.

Mine is only an agreement to Sam's solution to a hypothetical scenario. Isn't that the well from which this 'discussion' springs from? As far as GONY,...can you point to any factual presentation of the evolution of the final cut? It would be interesting to hear Scorcese publicly confess that he acceded to Weinstein's demands.

Peter Kim

Screenwriter
The directors unwilling to play by the studios' rules, however, are left out in the cold.
I have a hard time believing that mavericks like Lucas, Cameron, or Scorcese would ever be left out in the cold, regardless of any unwillingness to play by others' rules.

I do believe that studios recognize that it's exactly that maverick quality which separates these great directors from the rest.

Damin J Toell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Damin J. Toell

Damin J Toell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Damin J. Toell
I do believe that studios recognize that it's exactly that maverick quality which separates these great directors from the rest.
The studios recognize that making and owning films makes money for them. Directors who can make them money are a good thing to have. Directors who wish to diminish their control (and, in their eyes, their money), however, are not looked upon glowingly.

DJ

Peter Kim

Screenwriter
And many directors, even those with true power (such as Spielberg), have shown little interest in crusading forcefully for OAR-only policies.
Isn't this getting off-track from the initial spirit of this discussion? Sam essentially asked what could force the studios to genuflect on the issue of AR? Since they've rarely, if ever done before, it would take something that's never been attempted.
A historic, never-seen-before collaboration of 4 of the most respected and bankable directors could imaginably force the studios into submission. Not one or two, but 4 - 6 of the most visible and successful directors could blaze a new trail. Isn't that what pioneers are for, or are they passe?
Now, if the question is if this is feasible or even possible, well that's the question. Creative megalomaniacs aren't renowned for their collaborative efforts. And if solidarity were really that indelible and invincible, Mussolini would still be in power. ;)

Damin J Toell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Damin J. Toell
How many production companies were behind Cameron's Titanic? And did only one reap the rewards?
You tell me. Also, what's your point?

When studios are in a situation where they can minimize their own risk, riskier propositions are more likely to be taken in concert. And did Cameron have the power to dictate that all video releases be in OAR, anyway?

DJ

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zionaesthetic
Recent bookmarks