What's new

Apply thermal paste (1 Viewer)

Jeff

Supporting Actor
Ok, thermal paste seems to be the last frontier of computers that I'm not knowledgable in...Well I'm sure there is much more. :)
Anyway on to the dumb questions. One thing I have noticed is that when I apply the paste to the CPU and fasten the heatsink...If I happen to pull the heatsink off again there is next to no paste on the CPU, it's all come off. I'm assuming this is not the case when the heatsink remains fastened.
Also, should the thermal past only be applyed to the CPU? Should it also be applied to the proper area of the heatsink?
Is there a link to a tutorial that anyone can leave for me?
Thanks,
Jeff

Camp

Senior HTF Member
Go here: http://www.articsilver.com/arctic_si...structions.htm
Even if you're not using Artic Silver (which you should 'cause it's great) these instructions are helpful.
The biggest mistake most people make is applying too much compound. BTW, when you apply and later disassemble your HSF from your CPU you really need to totally clean the old compound and re-apply from scratch.

NickSo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick So
Yeah, the arctic silver tutorial is great... Im building my computer soon, and im glad i stumbled on their tutorial.
Ohyeah, for anybody looking for a good deal, SVC has some good prices on Arctic Silver thermal paste:
http://www.svcompucycle.com/thermalgrease.html
A tube of Arctic Silver 3 for $4.99USD free shipping.
I bought myself a small tube of Arctic Silver Alumina for $2.95 with free shipping (choose the FIRST CLASS shipping method).

AllenD

Second Unit
Alright, you guys got my attention. I've been just peeling off the blue tape on the HSF and neglecting the thermal compound. Is that a no no? I don't have any heat issues at all. CPU temp is between 40-42C. How much cooler will my CPU be w/thermal compound?

Correction: I just rebooted and found CPU is at 46C.

GaryAR

Agent
Is that a no no?
it's certainly not best practice. you may be able to get away with this if you have an intel cpu, but if you're using amd or celeron you will most likely run into problems.

if your computer ever does strange stuff, like hanging without a blue screen or instantaneously shutting off/rebooting, now you know why.

-gary

NickSo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick So
I assume the blue tape stuff is a thermal pad. If you pulled that off and have the heatsink sitting right on the processor, then its not transferring the heat very well. There's GOT to be SOME thermal compound to transfer the heat from the processor to the heatsink...
I'd recommend getting some, the link above has really good prices (free shipping as well) on Arctic Silver products and great service. I ordered a tube yetserday and it has been shipped to its destination today. :emoji_thumbsup:

Brett DiMichele

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brett
When I apply thermal grease to a CPU or Bridge or any other
item that requires an interface material I always clean the
core and HSF with Laquer Thinner and then Isopropyl Alcohol.

For my P4 I measured the P4's IHS and masked that size area
off on the HSF and I gently "rubbed" Arctic Silver II into
the base of the HSF. I then applied a little more to the
HSF and spread it evenly and did the same with the core.

I use a piece of plastic wrap over my finger so that the
oils in my finger tip do not contaminate the paste.

Another tip is to polish (or lap) the base of your HSF
with varying grits of sandpaper all the way up to 2000
grit if you want the absolute smoothest surface. No surface
will ever be free of valleys, even a 2 Micron Polish which
in the machining world is about as good as it gets, still
has valeys. That's why "rubbing" the Arctic Silver is a good
iead. That way you work the particles into those valleys
ensuring an even thermal contact.

AllenD

Second Unit
NickSo,

There's some sort of paste which is left behind after peeling back the tape.

NickSo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick So
Yeah, you gotta clean that off before applying the thermal compound.

The arctic silver tutorial above is great. I believe it tells you to clean off all the residue with acetone or like rubbing alcohol.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks