What's new

Appliantology 101: Ionic Breeze - any good? (1 Viewer)

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Does anyone here own an Ionic Breeze, and if so, what are your thoughts on it? I have one of the Bionare things, but the filters are pretty expensive.

Mike Lenthol

Second Unit
Don't own one, they are way overpriced for what they do ;)

But from what I know about the technology it uses, it's not nearly as good as a traditional filtration system. In addition, I'd imagine it produces insane levels of ionized air, and that can't be good for home theaters :D

Jordan_E

Senior HTF Member
I was looking into getting one of those units, until I walked into the store selling it and caught a whiff of the ozone it produced, knowing I couldn't live with that 24/7.

Lee L

Supporting Actor
I have 2 that I got for "free" using American Express reward points and can heartily recommend them for that price. The retail price from Sharper Image is high for what they are.

Mine seem to work well and I have to clean the build up of dust pretty often. They do work best in the open since they do not have any fan and rely on electrical charge to move air. Mine are just behind chairs that are in corners so the air moves out the side but I'm sure I would get better performance in the middle of the room but my wife does not like them visible and I tned to agree with her.

One is in the bedroom and the other in the living room (way across the room from all my HT stuff) and the ozone smell is not very noticable to my wife and I in either location. At first, you will probably notice the smell but it went away after a few days either because we got used to it or maybe it is more prominent when new.

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
It's sold on TV in infomercials by "The Sharper Image".

Isn't that enough information to completely disregard it as overpriced junk? It is to me.

Don Black

Screenwriter
From Consumer Reports:

"The other electronic-precipitator model, the Sharper Image SI637 Ionic Breeze Quadra Silent Air Purifier, proved unimpressive in our tests. Ads for this unit tout its silence and miserly power consumption. Both are attributable to its lack of a fan. But so is its disappointing performance; we found almost no measurable reduction in airborne particles."

Sharper Image SI637 Ionic Breeze Quadra Silent Air Purifier:

Score: Very Poor (dead last out of the 15 or so air cleaners reviewed)

Dust High Speed: Poor
Dust Low Speed: Poor
Smoke High Speed: Poor
Smoke Low Speed: Poor
Noise High Speed: Excellent
Noise Low Speed: Excellent
Ease of Use: Good

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks