Appleseed!

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Dennis Pagoulatos, Feb 3, 2004.

1. Dennis Pagoulatos

Dennis Pagoulatos Supporting Actor

Dennis
    Jeez...this stuff just gets better and better. Prepare to be floored. Finding Nemo this ain't!! [​IMG]

Check it out

HERE!

Try both trailers at the largest size your bandwidth can handle. One is a quickie 30 second spot, the other is a mind blowing 2 minute trailer.

When does this get a release HERE!?

-Dennis

2. Edwin-S

Edwin-S Producer
    Supporter

I have seen the teaser, but this is first time I've seen the full trailer. This film definitely looks wild. I hope the story matches those visuals, and yeah, I would like to see this get released over here.

As far as I'm concerned the Japanese are getting to be the masters when it comes to combining traditional animation with CGI.

3. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

Oakenfold during the 30 second spot. Nice.

Looks really good. I'd be interested in seeing this.

4. Dennis Pagoulatos

Dennis
    Update...I found a better link for the longer trailer (apple.com's Japan website!)

In glorious quicktime, here it is:

ENJOY!

From what I've found out, the entire film is actually CGI, including the characters!!!

There have been a lot of films recently that combine CG and hand drawn animation, but this may be the first 100% CG film that attempts to retain the hand drawn style of anime.

I find it hard to believe that it's all CG, actually...can anyone confirm if that's true...because if it is....VERY impressive work! (Very impressive regardless, actually.)

-Dennis

5. ThomasC

ThomasC Lead Actor

[​IMG][​IMG] Definitely looking forward to seeing this. I don't see how it couldn't be CG.

6. Edwin-S

Edwin-S Producer
    Supporter

It could be all CG. The more a person looks at it, the more it looks like the characters were CG done, but it really is quite a piece of work. I wonder if the rest of the film measures up to that trailer. If the characters were CG'd then it is some of the smoothest animation of realistic human movement yet done. I'm sure there is lots of motion capture work, but the characters appear to move even more naturally than the ones in Final Fantasy.

It would be nice to see the show on a big screen.

7. Scott Weinberg

Scott Weinberg Lead Actor

Sign me up. [​IMG]

8. Edwin-S

Edwin-S Producer
    Supporter

I sure hope the story does justice to Shirow's original manga. The last Appleseed[/q] anime adaptation was pretty mediocre.

9. George Banks

George Banks Extra

It's all CG but with fantastic cell shading. I hope this come to the theaters here(in limited release most likely). Would love to see this on the big screen. I also hope the story is good to do the look and animation justice. Otherwise you have another Final Fantasy on your hands.

From what it looks like, the story could be adapted from Appleseed's second book.

10. Chuck Mayer

Chuck Mayer Lead Actor

Chuck Mayer
    It looks beautiful. Completely beautiful.

Thanks for the QT link...very nice.

Take care,
    Chuck

11. Jerome Grate

Jerome Grate Cinematographer

That SOOOOO ROCKED. Played it twice, count me in on this one. But it looks likes a April release, I'd love to see it.

12. Steve Felix

Steve Felix Supporting Actor

Definitely CG, definitely the best cel shading I've ever seen.

13. Dennis Pagoulatos

Dennis
    But what's up with the second part of the soundtrack...I had a flashback to "The Pointer Sisters" for a second there... [​IMG]

The one thing we don't see anywhere is any of the characters speaking. I want to see what the mouth movements look like. If they are simple and "anime-ish" I guess that's excusable in this case, since the film is being done in an anime style. However, the primitive mouth movements in "Final Fantasy" are what really prevented me from really feeling anything for the characters...they seemed so limited in their expressions, ie, great looking in stills, not so hot when speaking...because the rest of it looked fantastic, that always stuck out as below par in that case. Again, by the look of "Appleseed" though, the style is definitely anime; they're not really going for photorealistic human characters, so it'll probably work.

BTW, this is being released in April in Japan. No word on any release date here...who knows when that might happen (or IF).

-Dennis

14. Paul_Sjordal

Paul_Sjordal Supporting Actor

I never read the manga, never saw the anime, but that trailer looks freakin' amazing!

15. Paul_Sjordal

Does anyone have any information on when and if this will be released in the U.S.? According to the trailer, it will be released on 4/17. I assume that's only in Japan.

16. Dennis Pagoulatos

Dennis
    As far as I know...Japan first...perhaps it will be released in the U.S. at some point, but I haven't a clue who would handle distribution over here. It all depends on how well it does in Asia.

-Dennis

17. Paul_Sjordal

Hmm… I caught the tail end of a story about Appleseed on CNN's Headline News the other night. Did anyone else see that one? Did it mention an American release?

18. Pete-D

Pete-D Screenwriter

Man... I have to admit I want to see this and that live-action/CGI Japanese film Casshern more than any other "big" Hollywood summer movie (sorry Spidey).

The Japanese are simply on a different level. Insane.

19. ThomasC

ThomasC Lead Actor

20. Brian Thibodeau

Brian Thibodeau Supporting Actor

It was only a matter of time before they adapted the technology WITHOUT perverting the beauty of anime forms, backgrounds and characters.

I really think this movie could signal the beginning of a whole new era in anime, since the cost of doing things this way will ultimately come down in price - particularly if the Japanese talent have anything to do with it. I've been away from anime for a few years now and this has my interest piqued in a really cool way.

I can't wait to see more works done in this style. The possibilities now seem endless for the anime industry.