What's new

Apple's new "Mighty Mouse" (1 Viewer)

Ray Chuang

Screenwriter
I'm surprised nobody has talked about Apple's new Mighty Mouse (poorly named, though :thumbsdown: ) mouse pointer.

Read about the mouse pointer here

I actually went to the Apple Store to try out that mouse and frankly, I'm not impressed. As one who is used to the feel of the Logitech MX500 and Microsoft Intellimouse Explorer mouse pointers with their clearly defined buttons and scroll wheels, high pointing accuracy and built like a tank reassuring quality, the Mighty Mouse feels flimsy and the "button" definitions take too much to get used to. :thumbsdown:

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
I realize Apple built it's entire reputation on the fact that their computers were so easy to use that the mouse only needed one button, but I really wish they'd give it up and embrace a better 2-button mouse. This is a step in the right direction, but I don't think they need to stick to this motto.

I really don't think most would think it was a 'sell-out' technique, especially considering how much Microsoft has ripped off from Apple.

Ken Chan

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken
The idea is that if you force developers to design for one-button mice (with more buttons as an option) then the programs are easier to use, and not just for people who only "get" one button.

The OS and many programs have supported multi-button mice for some time. And many people have their preferences on that front; buy whatever you want. So the only real change is that they've come out with one of their own, which has some interesting ideas like the 360-scroll and the per-user configuration.

Seth--L

Screenwriter

This is the business world, not art. If someone else has a good idea, steal it.

David Williams

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Williams
The one question I've had about Mighty Mouse and not one article has tackled it: Is Apple going to start bundling this in with every computer (except Mini, of course)? I'm not exactly holding my breath on this after seeing the price.

I'm still trying to figure out why this thing is $50 when you can buy something like the Kensington Optical Elite (5 buttons, scroll) for $20. The new technology involved doesn't seem like it's worth an extra 30 bucks, though it's hard to resist the siren song of a new Apple accessory.

Ken Chan

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken
It might depend on some of the touch-sensitive technology that was developed for the iPod recently.

Chris Bardon

Senior HTF Member
Interesting point with forcing developers to design with one button in mind-how successful were they?

Not a big apple fan, but the idea of having a 360 degree scroll wheel is kind of interesting. Might take some getting used to, but it could be useful.

Thomas Newton

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Newton

Most Mac programs work just fine with a single-button mouse, even if you never use the "Control-click" function. You may lose access to shortcuts, but you don't lose access to essential functions. In the GUI bundled with LinuxPPC, if you had a one-button mouse, you were screwed. So I'd say Apple's guidelines have been a success.

That's not to say that you should limit yourself to a one-button mouse. Once you get accustomed to right-button menus, "Control-click" feels clunky.

Thomas Newton

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Newton

I'm surprised nobody has talked about Apple's new Mighty Mouse (poorly named, though) mouse dinner.

My cat actually went to the Apple Store to eat that mouse dinner and frankly, was not impressed. As one who is used to the crunch of tiny mouse bones, the texture of mouse flesh, and the tang of mouse blood, she thought that the Mighty Mouse was hard to chew, and had no flavor. Furthermore, there were no air holes in the mouse packaging, depriving her of the pre-dinner hunt and chase that she had so eagerly anticipated.

If you think this is for real, there's a bridge in Brooklyn that you might want to buy.

Kimmo Jaskari

Screenwriter
I'm not a big Apple fan (except their design department, they sure know how to make things look good) but this really is a big yawn.

"We've finally added more buttons to our mice after 20 years of the single button!". Meanwhile, in the PC world, multi-button mice have existed for ages.

There is no excuse for Apple not to have had at least a scroll wheel added years ago. That alone adds enormously to the ease of navigating a web page, for instance.

I'm sure it's a nice mouse, but it's just a multibutton mouse. It's not like they just cured cancer.

Steve Deacon

Stunt Coordinator
Hard to believe it's taken until now for Apple to come up with some sort of scroll device on a mouse.

I think the single most useful addition to pc mice has been the scroll wheel, to the point where I simply can't use a mouse without one. My finger just starts rubbing the area where it should be.

RichP

Second Unit

Perhaps you should ask Xerox why they chose to give their technology away to Apple willingly. Because that's exactly what they did. This is very well documented in multiple books about the history of personal computing.

Apple didn't "steal" anything from Xerox. Unfortunately the same cannot be said with regards to Microsoft and Windows.

Joseph S

Senior HTF Member

I absolutely can't stand scroll wheels. My trackball has a scroll ring which is leagues better.

NickSo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick So

haha, they treated the 'shuffle' function of the iPOD shuffle the same way, as if it was a huge revolutionary breakthrough music listening.

PeterTHX

Senior HTF Member

Right. Sorry, but it goes BOTH ways. Gates took the same tour of Xerox. Gates also gave tips to Jobs on the Apple GUI. MS has contributed quite a bit to Apple and vice versa.

"Stealing" is a strong word. Agreeing a concept is appealing and incorporating it into your own product is something BOTH companies have done.

Ken Chan

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken
That implies that the give and take has been approximately equal. I would guess that many would argue it is not.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks