What's new

Apple Watch Series 4 Buyers and Owners thread (1 Viewer)

Cranston37+

🇺🇸
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick
I ultimately stopped using the sleep tracker in favor of Beddr. It showed great possibility for sleep apnea.

A great person to ask about sleep apnea if you don't want the cost of a regular doctor is your dentist. When mine did one of those 3D head scans he said he could tell enough about my airways to say it wasn't a problem for me.

Last edited:

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
So does Beddr tell you you have apnea? Why not just go to your doctor? I understand if your insurance doesn’t cover it, but if it does: I got diagnosed with sleep apnea and was professionally seen in a sleep clinic and given my CPAP for the price of a copay which is about 1/7th of the cost of Beddr.

This included testing if I had apnea and then a second overnight where they hooked me up to a cpap and a tech adjusted the airway pressure.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
So does Beddr tell you you have apnea? Why not just go to your doctor? I understand if your insurance doesn’t cover it, but if it does: I got diagnosed with sleep apnea and was professionally seen in a sleep clinic and given my CPAP for the price of a copay which is about 1/7th of the cost of Beddr.

This included testing if I had apnea and then a second overnight where they hooked me up to a cpap and a tech adjusted the airway pressure.
My CPAP changed my life for the better. I sleep well with it.

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
I would like for Podcast and Music app to not be active on my phone. If I’ve been in my car playing music from my iphone, hours later I’ll look at my watch and the first thing I see is the music app. A similar thing happens with the Podcast app even though I’m not using it. I use Overcast and that shows up on my watch too even though it’s not installed on the phone. I guess the Podcast app is doing it.

How can I stop them taking up screen time on my watch?

Speaking of Overcast (and Podcast when I used it), when it finishes one podcast I’d like it to play the next one in chronological order. Say I’ve started a podcast that hast 50 episodes and I start on number one. I’d like two to play automatically after finishing one.

For Overcast, Play Next By Priority is turned off and continuous play is on. I don’t see any other options to accomplish what I want.

thanx.

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
How can I stop them taking up screen time on my watch?
Either on your watch or on the iPhone Watch app, navigate to General --> Wake Screen and turn off Auto-launch Audio Apps.

For Overcast, Play Next By Priority is turned off and continuous play is on. I don’t see any other options to accomplish what I want.
I have a playlist created for the content I listen to and it sorts and plays by date. If you have a particular podcast that you want to listen to, say, the last 50 episodes of in order, you can always create a playlist for only that podcast and include the last 50 episodes. It's a little tedious but I don't really know any other way to accomplish what you want.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I wanted to buy my wife a new Watch for our anniversary (in a couple days). But I checked MacRumors and was reminded that new watches have been coming out in the fall. Sigh. I can’t buy a new watch three months before new ones are announced. The downsides to being a tech nerd: gift-giving thwarted!

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Either on your watch or on the iPhone Watch app, navigate to General --> Wake Screen and turn off Auto-launch Audio Apps.

I have a playlist created for the content I listen to and it sorts and plays by date. If you have a particular podcast that you want to listen to, say, the last 50 episodes of in order, you can always create a playlist for only that podcast and include the last 50 episodes. It's a little tedious but I don't really know any other way to accomplish what you want.
Thanks for the ideas. The idea of playing the next in order seems so natural to me. Why that’s not a basic option, I don’t know. But then I grew up with LPs and they played one track after another. I’ll try the playlist.

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell

I just created a playlist in Overcast. It appears the only episodes that can be added to the playlist are downloaded playlists. Do I have that right?

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Speaking of Overcast (and Podcast when I used it), when it finishes one podcast I’d like it to play the next one in chronological order. Say I’ve started a podcast that hast 50 episodes and I start on number one. I’d like two to play automatically after finishing one.

thanx.
On the iPhone app that’s easy. Go into a podcast’s folder, Sort by Unplayed and then play the first to get started. It will play in order.
88CE0CFC-4596-47F0-8A85-B70C99CDA22E.jpeg

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
On the iPhone app that’s easy. Go into a podcast’s folder, Sort by Unplayed and then play the first to get started. It will play in order.
View attachment 59920
Does it actually do that for you? What happens to me is that when finishing a podcast it will play a started, but not finished podcast. Now when I look at the Unplayed list, all are played and I wonder why they remain in the unplayed list? Also, the unplayed list doesn’t include all unplayed. I just opened, but have not played any episodes, a new podcast. In the unplayed list are two episodes from season 2. Tried another podcast of only 4 episodes on in Unplayed is the last.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Does it actually do that for you? What happens to me is that when finishing a podcast it will play a started, but not finished podcast. Now when I look at the Unplayed list, all are played and I wonder why they remain in the unplayed list? Also, the unplayed list doesn’t include all unplayed. I just opened, but have not played any episodes, a new podcast. In the unplayed list are two episodes from season 2. Tried another podcast of only 4 episodes on in Unplayed is the last.
What do you have set for the Delete option? I've got my set to "When Completed" so podcasts are deleted immediately on completion and they don't stick around. Sounds like you've got it set for Manually, so they never go away and remain in your playlist and screw up your play order.

In Overcast, I also have Play Next By Priority turned on. After a podcast finishes, the next podcast it plays is always the top playlist in the current list. In Playlists, I tend to have them sorted by Oldest to Newest. If I play a podcast in the middle of the playlist, when it ends it goes to the top of the list, playing the oldest one. Within a Podcast list, I also have them normally sorted oldest to newest (Unplayed pointing up). When a podcast finishes, it automatically starts playing the podcast at the top of the list (the oldest, in my case).

Now, I don't listen to podcasts from my watch, so I don't know if that's the issue.

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
What do you have set for the Delete option? I've got my set to "When Completed" so podcasts are deleted immediately on completion and they don't stick around. Sounds like you've got it set for Manually, so they never go away and remain in your playlist and screw up your play order.

In Overcast, I also have Play Next By Priority turned on. After a podcast finishes, the next podcast it plays is always the top playlist in the current list. In Playlists, I tend to have them sorted by Oldest to Newest. If I play a podcast in the middle of the playlist, when it ends it goes to the top of the list, playing the oldest one. Within a Podcast list, I also have them normally sorted oldest to newest (Unplayed pointing up). When a podcast finishes, it automatically starts playing the podcast at the top of the list (the oldest, in my case).

Now, I don't listen to podcasts from my watch, so I don't know if that's the issue.
Your right, I had manual delete on nor was play next by priority on. I made those two updates and I’ll see how it works. My preference is not to have a playlist but just to use the podcast list. If I do that, will it play the next one in the list (sorted by oldest to newest) even if it’s not downloaded?

Cranston37+

🇺🇸
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick
Your right, I had manual delete on nor was play next by priority on. I made those two updates and I’ll see how it works. My preference is not to have a playlist but just to use the podcast list. If I do that, will it play the next one in the list (sorted by oldest to newest) even if it’s not downloaded?

Maybe I'm reading what you're trying to accomplish incorrectly but wouldn't selecting "continuous playback" do what you're looking for?

ECEB1874-BD21-4681-B629-48ED7EE1E5B4.jpeg

Last edited:

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
My preference is not to have a playlist but just to use the podcast list. If I do that, will it play the next one in the list (sorted by oldest to newest) even if it’s not downloaded?
If you’re playing in the All tab, I think so. But I use Unplayed and only listen to downloaded podcasts, so I can’t say for certain. (I use both Playlists and Podcasts.)

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
I’ve been trying to upgrade my watch to the new version but it won’t let me because I need iOS 13 which my iPhone 6 can’t do.

Is that right?

Is there any other way?

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I’ve been trying to upgrade my watch to the new version but it won’t let me because I need iOS 13 which my iPhone 6 can’t do.

Is that right?

Is there any other way?
Yes, that's correct. No there is no other way. (Had to search this, I hadn't really paid attention to the WatchOS upgrade process.) Perhaps future versions of the watch will be independent devices. But as Apple took a number of years to wean the iPhone off the Mac, so it's taking a while to make the Watch wholly independent of the iPhone.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204641

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
About a month ago, I saw this add (on Facebook, I think) for a Milanese band for the Apple Watch. I believe it had a day of the dead motif and was quite well done. Not so garish as some art in that theme could be. I liked it, but didn’t buy and now I’d like to find it again.

Anyone run across this band?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation155
Recent bookmarks