1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Apple Watch Series 4 Buyers and Owners thread

Discussion in 'Apple' started by Carlo Medina, Sep 17, 2018.

Tags:
  1. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

Dave
    Series 3 and later are waterproof.

https://www.apple.com/apple-watch-series-4/

Johnny Angell likes this.
  2. Clinton McClure

Clinton McClure Casual Enthusiast
    Supporter

Clint
    I had no plans to upgrade from my Series 1 to a Series 4 watch. My watch still kept a good charge for close to 24 hours and worked (and looked) like new.

Today, I was out doing yard work and came back in the house to discover that a dog my wife took in from her parents a few weeks ago (don’t get me started on that) had found my watch on the night stand and absolutely destroyed the band. The heart rate sensor on the back was also loose and had tooth marks in it where he had tried to chew on the watch body itself. I figured that as long as it still charged that maybe I could live with the watch a while longer but when I tried to get the remnants of the band off, the watch slipped from my fingers to the kitchen floor and you can guess the rest. 7EBB5E23-072E-4636-89D1-A06AEAB276E1. Needless to say, the watch is now 2.5 years old and beyond repair. All I could do was contact Apple for a shipping label to send the remains to a recycling center and go get a new 44mm silver aluminum GPS model. It is currently installing WatchOS 5.2.1. I’m actually more pissed about the band being chewed up than the watch getting broken because that band is now obsolete and Apple no longer sells that particular color. My new watch came with a white band that is going to be replaced by a blue band tomorrow.

3. Johnny Angell

Johnny Angell Played With Dinosaurs Member

Johnny Angell
    You have me deep sympathies for the loss of your loved one. It was for too young to pass that way. The good news is that there must be a million band choices out there. Enjoy your new loved one, but keep the memory of you old watch close to your heart. :D

Clinton McClure likes this.
  4. Nelson Au

Nelson Au Executive Producer

Sorry you lost your Series One Watch. I’m sure you’ll love the Series 4!

About the band, maybe you can find one in that color from other sources.

5. Clinton McClure

Supporter

Clint
    I could find the same color by 3rd party manufacturers on amazon but the reviews point to mostly poor quality and manufacturing defects. After wearing the white band today, I decided to keep it for a while. I may replace it later on but the white grew on me really quickly.

I have noticed the Series 4 is much, much faster than the Series 1 when I scroll through apps or unlock it using my passcode rather than unlocking my iPhone.

And I absolutely love the infograph face.
    ABF55D73-A8FB-4FFC-A472-AC9E5CB107EA.

DaveF likes this.
  6. Clinton McClure

Supporter

Clint
    Oh, and Johnny - Here’s the guilty party: his name is Chance and he’s a one year old
    Havanese.
    D9A32B83-B839-4D8C-BB05-7006C2ECE929.
    Can’t stay mad at him, though, because he’s just a toddler and it was my fault for leaving my watch where he could reach it if he put his mind to it.

When we got him, we became his fourth home in a year. We thought he would be a lot of trouble and possibly bully our other dogs since he’s 16lbs and they’re all smaller than him but he immediately took up with our two year old Cavachon, Chloe. Now they’re inseparable partners in crime.
    00D6F7B3-6372-405C-9AF3-1F4BDDB6B881.

7. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

Dave
    We almost bought a Havanese, ten years ago. While researching and looking for a good breeder, we realized that we were looking for a cat-like dog. So we cut-out the middleman, as it were, and adopted two cats. :D

Sorry for the watch, glad you love the new one. I've got a new-to-me (slightly used) S3 and the battery is great. It can get through a day or two without recharging of normal use. A full day plus some if I go to the gym. My wife wants a S4 but her S3 is pretty new so is postponing a new purchase. maybe next Spring with the presumed S5 release.

8. Johnny Angell

Johnny Angell
    Is there a cat-like dog?

9. Johnny Angell

Johnny Angell
    What are the top left and right complications? BTW, why are they called complications? If I’m going to have surgery, I don’t want complications. Why do I want them on my watch?;)

Clinton McClure likes this.
  10. Nelson Au

Nelson Au Executive Producer

In the horological world of wrist watch collectors, the complication is known as added functions on a mechanical watch. The date function is one added complication. More gears inside to make the date change daily. A chronograph can have a stop watch function with hours, minutes and seconds, more complication and mechanical requirements.

I still love wearing my older and newer mechanical watches. So it’s a hobby of mine.

Johnny Angell and DaveF like this.
  11. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

Dave
    Havanese and Pugs are "cat-like" (for example), which is to say: small, cuddly, lap-dogs that don't require lots of outdoors room. But in this process of looking for the perfect dog, my wife realized that she actually wanted a cat. :)

12. Dennis Nicholls

Dennis Nicholls Executive Producer

Dennis
    Little Dukie is a dog-like cat. Always wants to play, and does his little Snoopy-dance at dinner time.

DaveF and Johnny Angell like this.
  13. Message #233 of 263 May 27, 2019
    Last edited: May 27, 2019
    Ted Todorov

Ted Todorov Producer

IMG_6416. Lucy, our dog-like-dog (no cat involved) miniature schnauzer regularly plays by biting my hand or forearm, including my Apple Watch, but far from damaging it in any way, she has earned having her picture on it. (It and the strap are both stainless steel, maybe that has protected it from the damage she might cause to pillows and shoes. The strap is from my gen 0 Apple Watch, my current Watch one is a 3).

Not sure about this idea that small dogs are indoor/lapdogs. Our schnauzers get over an hour off the leash in Central Park every day, and are certifiably outdoor dogs - they sprint, play, meet & great many of their friends, wrestle, want to stay out all day in the case of a blizzard and assert their opinions (Lucy will growl & bark at anyone smoking a cigarette, Max barks* at bad art):

*Note that I'm only half joking - when I videoed this Max had *never* barked, (this was on Thanksgiving in Riverside Park - we had to avoid Central Park due to the Thanksgiving parade) - he was at that point 10 months old, and we thought we had the dog that was never going to bark. Since them he has only barked for two reasons - art criticism or saying to other dogs "play with me". (Which means he may not bark for weeks on end - Lucy OTOH barks like a typical schnauzer - full defense dog - anyone walking upstairs, or "talking" to people or other dogs. And I am absolutely not joking about smokers. She also barks at anyone walking like they are drunk or stoned.)

14. Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon Moderator

How different your lives might have been!

DaveF likes this.
  15. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

Dave
    In the Mirror Universe, Evil Dave has a goatee and owns a dog. :D

16. Johnny Angell

Johnny Angell
    I do you make a photo into a watch face?

17. Ted Todorov

Ted Todorov Producer

iPhone Watch app: General/Enable Screenshots

18. Ted Todorov

Ted Todorov Producer

I’ve had a goatee for decades before I got a dog. IIRC I beat David Bowie et al. to growing a goatee, but unlike the ponytail (which I definitely had before Jaeger and Bowie) I’ve stuck with the goatee until now.
    I’m apparently not big on selfies - this one is from 2014, pre-Apple Watch (though I got the equivalent strap and wear it the same way).
    http://ted-todorov.com/contact

DaveF likes this.
  19. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

Dave
    So you’re saying *this* is the Mirror Universe? And in the Prime Universe there’s a clean-shaven Ted who owns cats?!?! :D

I need to be more evil if I’m actually the alternate me!

20. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

Dave
    And to be clear, I think it’s great there are awesome dog owners here. I want all the doggos and kittehs to have great guardians. :) My family has Swissies and Golden’s and mini Dachshunds and a Lowchen. I like dogs. But I’m happy to be a cat owner. Better fit for our lifestyle. :)