What's new

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
It might not even be that something was wrong with it - some receivers have different functionality for different inputs with some not equipped to handle the more advanced functions.

Well, that particular HDMI Input is labeled "GAME" by Denon..but I wouldn't think they would want to limit audio capabilities of that input...would they?

The input into which I moved the cable was labeled "MEDIA PLAYER" by Denon.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Season 7 Reaction GIF by The Office

Sister Act Reaction GIF

Got it. Thanks to everyone for weighing in. I thought Clinton's suggestion was going to turn the tide as I realized I had mistakenly set up my reflecting Atmos speakers as "front heights" rather than "Dolby Atmos." You can only imagine my consternation when nothing changed after I reconfigured everything (and now I get to re-run my Audyssey program tomorrow! :laugh: ).

It was Robert who gave me the idea that worked.

I moved the Apple 4k TV cable into a different HDMI input and...voila! I was quickly able to get Atmos to appear on BOTH Disney+ and Paramount+.

So the moral of the story is there's something wrong with that particular HDMI input on my receiver. Who woulda thunk it?

Thanks to all who weighed in to lend a hand! I always appreciate the knowledge and support.

200.gif
Well, that particular HDMI Input is labeled "GAME" by Denon..but I wouldn't think they would want to limit audio capabilities of that input...would they?

The input into which I moved the cable was labeled "MEDIA PLAYER" by Denon.
Frankly, I should have made that suggestion much earlier as I have encountered similar issues beforehand regarding one input versus another.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Here's one other point to consider...when I was having my issues, about half the time I'd select/look at a film like Encanto and in the description it would show as having Dolby Atmos. But the other half of the time it show as having just 5.1. Was driving me crazy.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Here's one other point to consider...when I was having my issues, about half the time I'd select/look at a film like Encanto and in the description it would show as having Dolby Atmos. But the other half of the time it show as having just 5.1. Was driving me crazy.
Last week, I observed that too in the description, but even when I played back Encanto with 5.1 in its description, it would play back in Atmos.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Interesting...

Now I generally see Atmos in the descriptions of the appropriate films all the time it seems.
Mike,

It was strange because I saw two different Disney+ listings for Encanto. One touting Atmos, the other 5.1 audio. Both of them played back in Atmos.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Well, I went ahead and got a Gen 2 ATV 4K, though I already have two of the Gen 1 models and will replace one of those. It was partly impulse, wanting to see if there's any noticeable difference. Also, the remote on one of my Gen 1s got wonky and it's unusable on the occasion I need to use it instead of the Harmony Elite. The new remote costs $60, which just annoyed me for a stinking remote. So, once I realized the Evil A has them for $10 less, plus another 5% back, I figured what the hell.

I haven't hooked it up yet.

Has anyone gone from a Gen 1 4K to a Gen 2? I don't do any gaming.

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
Well, I went ahead and got a Gen 2 ATV 4K, though I already have two of the Gen 1 models and will replace one of those. It was partly impulse, wanting to see if there's any noticeable difference. Also, the remote on one of my Gen 1s got wonky and it's unusable on the occasion I need to use it instead of the Harmony Elite. The new remote costs $60, which just annoyed me for a stinking remote. So, once I realized the Evil A has them for $10 less, plus another 5% back, I figured what the hell.

I haven't hooked it up yet.

Has anyone gone from a Gen 1 4K to a Gen 2? I don't do any gaming.
Other than a better remote, there is no functional difference. I have two of the 1st gen 4K boxes and two of the 2nd gen 4K boxes and can only tell the difference because of the remote.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Other than a better remote, there is no functional difference. I have two of the 1st gen 4K boxes and two of the 2nd gen 4K boxes and can only tell the difference because of the remote.
I thought it might be a little quicker, but the Gen1 4K is no slouch. In the past, once a new ATV came out, the previous model had gotten noticeably sluggish.

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
The speed difference between my 3rd gen HD versions and my 1st gen 4K versions was appreciable. There might be a slight speed difference between the 1st and 2nd gen 4K versions for gamers but for non-gamers, you’d be hard pressed to tell it.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
Hoping to pick up the new 4k Apple TV in the next few weeks. I have the older unit purchased in March of 2020.

Hoping to see the video upgrade mostly.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Hoping to pick up the new 4k Apple TV in the next few weeks. I have the older unit purchased in March of 2020.

Hoping to see the video upgrade mostly.

Video upgrade? IF you already have the 1st gen ATV4K, there should be no upgrade at all video-wise AFAIK....

_Man_

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
This thread reminds me I'm watching for another sale on AppleTV 4k. Need one for my living room. Unfortunately everything's back to normal pricing again.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Is the new ATV4K actually ever on (meaningful) sale to wait? I don't recall seeing any (other than maybe $10 off or similar).

I did see the 1st gen ATV4K on some better sales, but still nothing quite that special nor quite that often...

You might be better off looking for occasional deals on Apple GCs instead and then using them to buy a ATV4K from Apple -- if you follow the GC deals tracked by CheapCharts for instance, they often enough show deals for Apple GCs that aren't only specific to iTunes...

_Man_

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I got it for $150 around Christmas. It drops once and a while.

I might just buy it at the current price of $170. I’m kinda ready to finish the living room 4K upgrade and stop thinking about it.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Another option is get it from B&H and save the equiv of sales tax IF you actually already have their Payboo credit card (or would be interested in applying)... That might save you ~$10 on the ATV4K I guess (and more if you like shopping w/ them for other stuff)...

I actually bought mine (64GB) from them during release week and saved ~$18 that way (though I was forgoing whatever modest CC cashback/rewards points I'd otherwise get elsewhere)...

_Man_

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
BTW, I have a Gen 1 AppleTV 4K that has a messed up remote I'm selling for $85 shipped HERE. I always used it with a Harmony remote, but that's why the price is low.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation554
Recent bookmarks