What's new

Mike Frezon

Premium
full

Okay, does Audio Output have your Default Audio Output “TV Speakers” checked mark?

full

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Real Name
Robert
Mike,

Go to Disney* settings and make sure “Automatic” is checked mark to ensure you’re streaming in the highest quality available up to 4K UHD (7.7 GB/hr).

Mike Frezon

Premium
FWIW, I just checked an Atmos movie on Paramount+ and the audio display is coming up the same way:

"DTS Neu:X" before switching over to "Direct"

Mike Frezon

Premium
Can't find anything out of the ordinary.

I have the Apple 4k TV hooked up to HDMI 4 (Game). HDMI is the only input source possible. It allows you to check the input to make sure you've got the correct device connected to the correct input (which it obviously is)...and that's about it. It seems pretty straight-forward (and fool proof). But, then again, I might just be a fool in this situation...

Mike Frezon

Premium
I just did a ton of Google research on this subject. And it turns out this is (was) a thing. About a year or so ago, a ton of people showed up on the internet saying the same thing, that they could no longer get Dolby Atmos from Disney+ via Apple 4k TV. They could get it fine using the app via their smart TV, but not via the A4kTV.

But I didn't find any more recent posts...leaving me to assume that Disney did something on their back end to fix things. FWIW, my A4kTV is a first gen model (not 2nd gen). But I wouldn't think that's the problem.

So since it seemed like a problem with the way D+ and A4kTV played together, I deleted the app from my A4kTV and reinstalled it.

There has been another change to report. NOW, whenever I play an Atmos movie from D+ via my A4kTV, the audio display on my Denon 3600 reads "DTS Neu:X" while on the menu, but when the movie starts to play the display switches to "Multi In."

I have also "closed" the D+ app on my A4kTV. Turns out this is a process similar to closing all the open apps on your iPhone. This was in concert with turning off/on Atmos in the A4kTV settings. No changes.

There is a significant thread on the AVS forum in which people suggested Disney is reducing the bitrate of their output so Atmos doesn't reach us (but, these are year-old posts). A lot of these complaints are from overseas. And many of these complaints speculate its a Covid lockdown thing. But the thread died...leading me to think this has not been a problem since then.

I am trying another thing now. A manual update of my A4kTV's software from 15.1.1 to 15.2.

Mike Frezon

Premium
I am trying another thing now. A manual update of my A4kTV's software from 15.1.1 to 15.2.

Accomplished nothing.

I'm starting to get pissed. I've spent a ton of time on this over the last few days and this is, apparently, not a problem for other people. I'm not sure why this isn't working for me as I seem to have all the settings correct. :angry:

Mike Frezon

Premium
Now I'm back to "Direct" on the display...rather than "Multi In." It seems like I've taken a step backward.

But, either way, it ain't right.

DaveF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
There is a significant thread on the AVS forum in which people suggested Disney is reducing the bitrate of their output so Atmos doesn't reach us (but, these are year-old posts). A lot of these complaints are from overseas. And many of these complaints speculate its a Covid lockdown thing. But the thread died...leading me to think this has not been a problem since then.
I bought a new 4K aTV and have watched at least one D+ movie in Atmos and tested one other. So I don't think it's that specifically.

Hope you you can shake the bugs loose from your system, Mike!

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Real Name
Robert
Can't find anything out of the ordinary.

I have the Apple 4k TV hooked up to HDMI 4 (Game). HDMI is the only input source possible. It allows you to check the input to make sure you've got the correct device connected to the correct input (which it obviously is)...and that's about it. It seems pretty straight-forward (and fool proof). But, then again, I might just be a fool in this situation...
I would temporarily try a different HDMI input to see if you can replicate the same problem.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Also make sure you didn’t accidentally disable your atmos height speakers in your receiver. My Denon reported “Multi In” from my Apple TV 4K before I hooked up and enabled my Atmos bounce speakers.
My Denon displays "Multi-in", too, with the ATV4K. I do not have any height speakers (still on my "to do" list).

Mike Frezon

Premium
Season 7 Reaction GIF by The Office

Sister Act Reaction GIF

Got it. Thanks to everyone for weighing in. I thought Clinton's suggestion was going to turn the tide as I realized I had mistakenly set up my reflecting Atmos speakers as "front heights" rather than "Dolby Atmos." You can only imagine my consternation when nothing changed after I reconfigured everything (and now I get to re-run my Audyssey program tomorrow! :laugh: ).

It was Robert who gave me the idea that worked.
I would temporarily try a different HDMI input to see if you can replicate the same problem.
I moved the Apple 4k TV cable into a different HDMI input and...voila! I was quickly able to get Atmos to appear on BOTH Disney+ and Paramount+.

So the moral of the story is there's something wrong with that particular HDMI input on my receiver. Who woulda thunk it?

Thanks to all who weighed in to lend a hand! I always appreciate the knowledge and support.

200.gif

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
So the moral of the story is there's something wrong with that particular HDMI input on my receiver. Who woulda thunk it?

It might not even be that something was wrong with it - some receivers have different functionality for different inputs with some not equipped to handle the more advanced functions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thegekko77
Recent bookmarks