What's new

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
The only reason not to enable match dynamic range would be if your display doesn’t do HDR, right?
No, that’s not the only reason. My projector “does” HDR, but it doesn’t do it well. As I said, this is relevant to projectors and low nit displays that may technically “do“ HDR, but do it poorly. Proper tone mapping of HDR is required in order for it to be displayed properly.

If you have a projector that isn’t the latest generation which has built in dynamic tone mapping (like the current generation of JVC) you will be looking for solutions for handling HDR. The Panasonic UB820 UHD disc player has decent tone mapping for discs and some streaming apps, but it’s not dynamic. And its streaming apps are limited (no Disney+, Hulu, HBO Max, etc…). Expensive video processors like the Lumagen or MadVR Envy will handle all HDR tone mapping well. That’s the way I’m going soon, but for now I’m still trying to deal with HDR with the best options available to me.

My JVC RS600 is an excellent projector and while it technically does HDR it was released before HDR content was actually out. So the way they implemented HDR handling is quite poor. The latest generation of JVC projectors have built in dynamic tone mapping and they handle HDR quite well. I chose to not upgrade and skipEd this generation of JVC because while they updated to native 4K panels (as opposed to the “e-shift” 4K of my projector) and have good HDR handling, they took a step back in contrast because of the new 4K panels. I find the quality of my projector to be so good that I’m waiting until a subsequent generation gets the contrast back to where it is with mine. So while 4K looks excellent on my projector, HDR needs to be “dealt with”.

If the AppleTV4K, when selecting 4K SDR, provided a native 4K SDR stream or tone mapped the 4K HDR source for an ”SDR” output that would be excellent. But it looks like they are likely just giving you the 1080p SDR source and upscaling it to “4K”. Not a huge deal for me because I am going to be pursuing a video processor solution, but I’m still curious to know exactly what Apple is doing.

compson

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Robert
No, that’s not the only reason. My projector “does” HDR, but it doesn’t do it well. As I said, this is relevant to projectors and low nit displays that may technically “do“ HDR, but do it poorly. Proper tone mapping of HDR is required in order for it to be displayed properly.

If you have a projector that isn’t the latest generation which has built in dynamic tone mapping (like the current generation of JVC) you will be looking for solutions for handling HDR. The Panasonic UB820 UHD disc player has decent tone mapping for discs and some streaming apps, but it’s not dynamic. And its streaming apps are limited (no Disney+, Hulu, HBO Max, etc…). Expensive video processors like the Lumagen or MadVR Envy will handle all HDR tone mapping well. That’s the way I’m going soon, but for now I’m still trying to deal with HDR with the best options available to me.

My JVC RS600 is an excellent projector and while it technically does HDR it was released before HDR content was actually out. So the way they implemented HDR handling is quite poor. The latest generation of JVC projectors have built in dynamic tone mapping and they handle HDR quite well. I chose to not upgrade and skipEd this generation of JVC because while they updated to native 4K panels (as opposed to the “e-shift” 4K of my projector) and have good HDR handling, they took a step back in contrast because of the new 4K panels. I find the quality of my projector to be so good that I’m waiting until a subsequent generation gets the contrast back to where it is with mine. So while 4K looks excellent on my projector, HDR needs to be “dealt with”.

If the AppleTV4K, when selecting 4K SDR, provided a native 4K SDR stream or tone mapped the 4K HDR source for an ”SDR” output that would be excellent. But it looks like they are likely just giving you the 1080p SDR source and upscaling it to “4K”. Not a huge deal for me because I am going to be pursuing a video processor solution, but I’m still curious to know exactly what Apple is doing.
I think most people who have purchased a display with a wider color gamut will choose to take advantage of it. Nonetheless, I turned off “match dynamic range” and looked at the Developer HUD on several movies. Most (including old movies like Animal House and Rear Window) were in 4K. The Hunt for Red October was not.

Mike Frezon

Premium
I can't find a better thread in which to ask these questions, so I'll guess I'll ask it here.

I've got a first gen Apple 4k TV Model A1842 (32gb). I just went into settings to check things out (after not having done so since I got it). I recently upgraded my display from a plasma to a TCL Series 5 4k set.

Under Video/Audio settings, I cannot "Enable Dolby Vision." Does this mean I need a newer/better HDMI cable? It DID allow me to upgrade the Chroma to 4:4:4. I get DV when I playback 4k discs on my Oppo-203.

I also want to be sure I am getting Atmos audio. We watched Encanto last night on Disney+ and while D+ said the movie was offered in Atmos, my Denon 3600 "sees" it as DTS NewIX. Its display reads "Atmos" when I'm playing an Atmos disc in my Oppo-203. Could that ALSO be a problem with the HDMI cable between my Apple 4k TV and receiver??

I guess I wasn't paying enough attention to all this stuff when you early adopters were going through it all years ago! :D

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Real Name
Robert
I can't find a better thread in which to ask these questions, so I'll guess I'll ask it here.

I've got a first gen Apple 4k TV Model A1842 (32gb). I just went into settings to check things out (after not having done so since I got it). I recently upgraded my display from a plasma to a TCL Series 5 4k set.

Under Video/Audio settings, I cannot "Enable Dolby Vision." Does this mean I need a newer/better HDMI cable? It DID allow me to upgrade the Chroma to 4:4:4. I get DV when I playback 4k discs on my Oppo-203.

I also want to be sure I am getting Atmos audio. We watched Encanto last night on Disney+ and while D+ said the movie was offered in Atmos, my Denon 3600 "sees" it as DTS NewIX. Its display reads "Atmos" when I'm playing an Atmos disc in my Oppo-203. Could that ALSO be a problem with the HDMI cable between my Apple 4k TV and receiver??

I guess I wasn't paying enough attention to all this stuff when you early adopters were going through it all years ago! :D
Mike, Do not "Enable Dolby Vision" because everything will have Dolby Vision activated including your screens. Use the following settings:

Format: 4K SDR 59.94Hz
HDMI Output: YCbCr
Chroma: 4:4:4
Match Content: Match Dynamic Range: On Match Frame Rate: On

With those settings, whenever Dolby Vision or HDR is detected, your ATV unit will show them with that process.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Supporter
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John

Robert provided the best settings, but you still might need a better cable. I believe Atmos has to be enabled in the audio settings.

edit: on settings, I set it to output everything at 4K, because the ATV up scaling is better than my Vizio TVs.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Thank you, gentlemen. Very much.

Weirdly, my device was already set to 4k SDR 60 (59.94Hz). I COMPLETELY trust the two of you to know best but will admit I'm surprised to learn that setting is preferable to 4k HDR 59.94 or 4k DV 59.94. It just seems counterintuitive (like Standard rather than high def).

As I noted I had already upped the chroma to 4:4:4 and the others were already set to Robert's suggested settings. So I guess I'm good to go.

Regarding the audio, I have "Change format" set to Off and Dolby Atmos is set to "On." Yet I don't think I am getting Atmos on Encanto via Disney+. Yet Disney+ says it is offering Encanto in Atmos. Like I said, my 3600 always displays "Atmos" when I'm playing a disc with an Atmos track. But I'm not seeing that off the Apple 4k TV. Instead, I see DTS Neu:X

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Supporter
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I’ll check Encanto later on my setup.

If you set output to HDR, it sends everything in HDR, even when it isn’t. Setting Dynamic Range to “Match” enables it only when the source has it.

I’m pretty sure I have audio set to “highest quality”.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Real Name
Robert

Weirdly, my device was already set to 4k SDR 60 (59.94Hz). I COMPLETELY trust the two of you to know best but will admit I'm surprised to learn that setting is preferable to 4k HDR 59.94 or 4k DV 59.94. It just seems counterintuitive (like Standard rather than high def).

As I noted I had already upped the chroma to 4:4:4 and the others were already set to Robert's suggested settings. So I guess I'm good to go.

Regarding the audio, I have "Change format" set to Off and Dolby Atmos is set to "On." Yet I don't think I am getting Atmos on Encanto via Disney+. Yet Disney+ says it is offering Encanto in Atmos. Like I said, my 3600 always displays "Atmos" when I'm playing a disc with an Atmos track. But I'm not seeing that off the Apple 4k TV. Instead, I see DTS Neu:X
I just checked and with those audio settings, my Marantz is playing Encanto in Dolby Atmos.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield

Robert's settings are indeed correct, although they do seem counter intuitive -- I screwed them up initially when I bought an Apple TV 4K, too. If I recall, Roku has a similarly odd setup for this on their Ultra streaming box. If you are still having issues getting 4K, HDR10 or Dolby Vision to work properly, it could be a setting on your AVR if you are passing the video signal through one. I had to change a passthru setting on my Denon to allow for this. Or, it could be the cable, as you need a proper HDMI cable certified for 4K.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Supporter
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John

Yep. I checked it also. My audio settings are the same as stated above. The "Highest Quality" setting for audio might have been something else,as the ATV doesn't have that.

Tested Encanto and got DV and Atmos.

Mike Frezon

Premium
I also did NOT get the little DV notice that pops up on my screen (like when I play a DV 4k disc) during Encanto.

I wonder if the absence of that and the lack of Atmos when streaming means I should upgrade the cable between the streaming device and receiver. Since I get DV and Atmos (when appropriate) when playing discs, I would guess those cables are okay (although, honestly, I would have thought most of my HDMI cables were of the same vintage. Maybe I should just upgrade them all.

Thanks to you both for helping me sort this out.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
I also did NOT get the little DV notice that pops up on my screen (like when I play a DV 4k disc) during Encanto.

I wonder if the absence of that and the lack of Atmos when streaming means I should upgrade the cable between the streaming device and receiver. Since I get DV and Atmos (when appropriate) when playing discs, I would guess those cables are okay (although, honestly, I would have thought most of my HDMI cables were of the same vintage. Maybe I should just upgrade them all.

Thanks to you both for helping me sort this out.

IF you suspect the HDMI cable, maybe you should swap them to see if that fixes it before actually buying new ones...

_Man_

Mike Frezon

Premium
IF you suspect the HDMI cable, maybe you should swap them to see if that fixes it before actually buying new ones...

_Man_

Too late, Man! I had already ordered a set of new cables by the time I saw your suggestion. :D

Here's my report.

I replaced all four HDMI cables in my HT. They connect my Oppo 203, Arris Cable Box (Spectrum), and my Apple TV 4k to my Denon 3600X and my Denon to my new TCL 4kTV (55S535).

Everything works great and maybe even "shook hands" just a little bit quicker! :D

In terms of my question about not getting Atmos from Disney+ (and not getting any DV notices on my TV screen, I am noticing two changes on that front. First, I now get the little "DV" rectangle appearing on my TV screen when watching DV material on D+. So I feel good about that. But my Denon display is still not showing me "Atmos" when playing Atmos-enabled D+ material. I tried the last Star Wars film (Rise of Skywalker) and the display started with "DTS Neu:X" and then would switch to "Direct Enter." I put my 4k disc of the same film into my Oppo and "Atmos" displayed immediately.

So I don't know what's up with that. Regarding the audio, I have "Change format" set to Off and Dolby Atmos is set to "On" on the Apple 4k TV unit.

When I saw the DV notice appear on my TV screen from Disney+ after the change in cables, I thought I was going to be good-to-go.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Real Name
Robert
In terms of my question about not getting Atmos from Disney+ (and not getting any DV notices on my TV screen, I am noticing two changes on that front. First, I now get the little "DV" rectangle appearing on my TV screen when watching DV material on D+. So I feel good about that. But my Denon display is still not showing me "Atmos" when playing Atmos-enabled D+ material. I tried the last Star Wars film (Rise of Skywalker) and the display started with "DTS Neu:X" and then would switch to "Direct Enter." I put my 4k disc of the same film into my Oppo and "Atmos" displayed immediately.

So I don't know what's up with that. Regarding the audio, I have "Change format" set to Off and Dolby Atmos is set to "On" on the Apple 4k TV unit.

When I saw the DV notice appear on my TV screen from Disney+ after the change in cables, I thought I was going to be good-to-go.
Mike,

You might have already tried this, but switch "Change Format" to "On" and Dolby Atmos is "disabled" then change them back again to "Change Format" to "Off" which will "enabled" Dolby Atmos.

Also, make sure "Audio Mode" is set to "Auto". Finally go to "Systems" to "Restart" the unit.

DaveF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
My AppleTV keeps grabbing the input on my new Denon AVR-S760H. Has anyone seen this, know a fix?

I chose the TiVo activity and the Denon‘s input is set to CBL/SAT (for TiVo). And a second later, the Denon changes itself to the Media Player (AppleTV) input. The remote isn’t sending the command. The Denon is somehow decided on its own to switch to the AppleTV. I also see this sometimes when changing to TV Audio (eARC from Sony TV), it will toggle itself over the AppleTV input.

I don’t know if this is a Denon problem or an Apple problem or an eARC thing?

I use a Harmony remote to control the system:
Denon 760
Sony 950H TV
AppleTV HD

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
My AppleTV keeps grabbing the input on my new Denon AVR-S760H. Has anyone seen this, know a fix?

I chose the TiVo activity and the Denon‘s input is set to CBL/SAT (for TiVo). And a second later, the Denon changes itself to the Media Player (AppleTV) input. The remote isn’t sending the command. The Denon is somehow decided on its own to switch to the AppleTV. I also see this sometimes when changing to TV Audio (eARC from Sony TV), it will toggle itself over the AppleTV input.

I don’t know if this is a Denon problem or an Apple problem or an eARC thing?

I use a Harmony remote to control the system:
Denon 760
Sony 950H TV
AppleTV HD
Do you have CEC turned on, either on the Denon, Sony TV or Apple TV 4K?

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
HDMI control is turned on Denon, so I can use eARC to send audio from Sony TV to Denon. AppleTV it’s turned off.
Try turning HDMI control off, but leave ARC turned on. I just checked, and that is possible with my Denon X3300W. Not sure if that works with your model. Mine is an older model with ARC, but not eARC.

Personally, I have both HDMI control and ARC turned off. I could not get ARC to work reliably with my Denon. I ran a digital optical cable for audio from my Vizio display, but I rarely need it. I use Roku and Apple streaming devices instead of the apps on the TV.

DaveF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Try turning HDMI control off, but leave ARC turned on. I just checked, and that is possible with my Denon X3300W. Not sure if that works with your model. Mine is an older model with ARC, but not eARC.

Personally, I have both HDMI control and ARC turned off. I could not get ARC to work reliably with my Denon. I ran a digital optical cable for audio from my Vizio display, but I rarely need it. I use Roku and Apple streaming devices instead of the apps on the TV.
Thanks for the idea. I found and toggled settings that should do that. I’ll see how it goes. :)

Mike Frezon

Premium
Mike,

You might have already tried this, but switch "Change Format" to "On" and Dolby Atmos is "disabled" then change them back again to "Change Format" to "Off" which will "enabled" Dolby Atmos.

Also, make sure "Audio Mode" is set to "Auto". Finally go to "Systems" to "Restart" the unit.

Thanks, Robert. Just did as you recommended, but no change. Frustrating. I think its time to pick up the unit and whack it a couple times. ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thegekko77
Recent bookmarks