What's new

DaveF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Not that I really want to buy one of these, but the new version better have whole integer frame rate compatibility and audio bitstreaming this time.
I’ve read tvOS supports integer framerates (24, 60 FPS) — should work on current Apple TV’s.

Don’t hold your breath for bitstreaming Atmos for HTPC use. That would be great, but doubtful.

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
You can use Airplay to access itunes extras on the Roku, but it's a bit tricky- you have to play the movie on your iphone, turn it sideways and then an Extras button will be at the bottom of the screen. Hit that and you can play the extras from there and hit the Airplay button to view on the Roku.

I've become a big fan of Airplay for a number of reasons (main one being that I can get around several services that have annoying interfaces), wondering if I should spring for an Apple TV eventually- though there's still some apps I use on Roku that aren't available on it.

DaveF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I've yet to hear a compelling reason for integer frame rate. Fill me in?
Same reason as being able to do 23.976 and 29.97 correctly: to show content correctly in its native format.

Some shows are integer frame rates, and AppleTV judders because it can't play them correctly.

Last edited:

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
Same reason as being able to do 23.976 and 29.97 correctly: to show content correctly in its native format.

Some shows are integer frame rates, and AppleTV judders because it can't play them correctly.
I always wondered why Netflix-produced movies would stutter about every 40 seconds. So the new OS fixes that?

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial
I see it a lot using the Apple TV with my projector.

I do (did) as well. I upgraded to the new firmware and the issue on Netflix seems to have went away. However, Amazon Prime still has an audio sync problem.

I've stopped using my Apple TV 4K for Netflix and Amazon Prime (actually, to be fair, I never started, so I'm not really stopping). As sad as it is, my PS3 continues to be the absolute king for streaming Netflix and Amazon (but it sucks for Disney+).

Actually, the Apple TV 4K is also deficient when it comes to streaming Disney+, as it automatically forces everything into the Atmos wrapper, even if the source isn't carrying Atmos height information. This forced wrapping prevents you from employing upscaling with Dolby Surround or DTS Neural-X. Part of the blame lies with Disney here, since it seems that if you are streaming a 1080p feed (not 4k) then it strips out the height information, effectively sending only the DD or DTS 7.1 "naked" audio, yet calling it "Atmos" and preventing you from upscaling. This is an issue when you have a 1080 display device connected to an Atmos-capable audio system.

The only things that the Apple TV 4K runs flawlessly is Apple TV+ (which I would hope would be the case...) and, post firmware update, Netflix. I still use it for Disney+ since it's better than my PS3 despite the audio problem.

A few weekends back I spent an entire Saturday comparing all the streaming services as delivered across all my devices. I reached the above conclusions after much testing. However, since then I've added a PS5 and Xbox Series X to the mix. I've also added a Panasonic UB9000 (picked up on Friday). My text task is to expand my testing to include streaming delivery across the new devices.

I'm scared I may never be able to retire my trusty old PS3, which continues to be a reliable workhorse.

Right now, after many hours of testing, I'm streaming as follows:
  • Apple TV+: Apple TV 4K
  • Netflix: Apple TV 4K or PS3 (which ever device is on)
  • Amazon Prime: PS3
  • Disney+: Apple TV 4K (reluctantly)
Is it too much to ask that a device do the following:
  1. Deliver a 4K or 1080p signal as dictated by the display device AND pair that with the audio format of my choosing, including Atmos? Neither the streaming device nor the service should decide how I watch and listen. If I want to watch on a 1080 display and an Atmos system then so be it.
  2. Display at the correct/native frame rate as mastered and/or coded into the video stream.
  3. Sync the audio with the video. How can it be 2021 and there still be lip sync issues? Didn't we solve this with...DVD?!

Real Name
Steve
i don't get what the interest is in apple tv. I have it for free for one year. But, I have yet to find an interesting show. While Disney+, Netflix, Amazon and Vudu seem to offer a plethora of entertaining content. what am i missing?

-steve

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
i don't get what the interest is in apple tv. I have it for free for one year. But, I have yet to find an interesting show. While Disney+, Netflix, Amazon and Vudu seem to offer a plethora of entertaining content. what am i missing?

-steve

Ummm... this thread is primarily about the (new) AppleTV 4K streaming device (being released very shortly), not the AppleTV+ subscription service -- most of us would agree w/ you that there's not much interesting about the latter (the service).

Maybe you're confused by the previous poster's mention of using the service on his devices? That plus Apple's choice to name both so similarly do sometimes confuse people -- there's also the AppleTV app, LOL, that is even available on some other non-Apple devices, including Roku.

_Man_

DaveF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave

compson

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Robert
My new ATV4K arrived today. I had to download and sign in to all my apps. Kind of a PITA. I recently got a Wifi 6 modem/router, and this is my first Wifi 6 device, so I was hoping to be wowed. I wasn’t. Speed is horrible. Maybe I’ve missed some necessary step on one of the devices, but my 5G speed to my (non-Wifi 6) iPad is great. In any case, I actually use a wired ethernet connection to my Apple TV anyway, so not a big deal, but still. I activated my free 12-month subscription to Apple TV+ and plan to check out For All Mankind.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Real Name
Sam Posten
I opened my phone and everything transferred. Ez pz.
2B7D1BCF-7B02-4AF1-8A83-AF2BBD3D327E.jpeg

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Real Name
Clint
Mine will be available for pickup Monday. I’m mostly excited that all four of our TVs will now be able to stream CBS/Paramount, Disney, HBO, and YouTube. Currently, only two of ours can and the other two are 3rd gen boxes that can only stream Hulu, Netflix, and Prime and one of those boxes tends to crash and reboot randomly on Hulu.

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
Can anyone clarify what exactly the ATV4K does when you select 4K SDR as the output format (without enabling match dynamic range)?

For 4K HDR sources it “seems” to output 4K SDR, but I have a hard time believing that it is actually tone mapping a 4K HDR BT2020 source to 4K SDR rec709. Proper tone mapping of HDR sources for projectors and low nit TVs is a huge deal and there is ZERO promotion of this from Apple as a feature and there doesn’t seem to be much discussion amongst users either.

So I suspect that when you select 4K SDR as the output they are just streaming you the 1080p SDR source and upscaling it to 4K.

I plan on purchasing a Lumagen Radiance Pro in the near future for proper tone mapping of all HDR sources, but I’d still like to know what the ATV4K is actually doing with this.

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
Can anyone clarify what exactly the ATV4K does when you select 4K SDR as the output format (without enabling match dynamic range)?

For 4K HDR sources it “seems” to output 4K SDR, but I have a hard time believing that it is actually tone mapping a 4K HDR BT2020 source to 4K SDR rec709. Proper tone mapping of HDR sources for projectors and low nit TVs is a huge deal and there is ZERO promotion of this from Apple as a feature and there doesn’t seem to be much discussion amongst users either.

So I suspect that when you select 4K SDR as the output they are just streaming you the 1080p SDR source and upscaling it to 4K.

I plan on purchasing a Lumagen Radiance Pro in the near future for proper tone mapping of all HDR sources, but I’d still like to know what the ATV4K is actually doing with this.
I think it depends on the title. They're definitely not stripping out the HDR. For some, they may be outputting a 4K SDR version. For others, upscaling 1080p. I know for a fact that some titles, like Fatal Attraction, The Hunt for Red October, The Mummy (1999) and I'm sure many others, if you're not playing back the HDR version, it defaults to the older master.

compson

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Robert

The only reason not to enable match dynamic range would be if your display doesn’t do HDR, right? There are complaints on line that such images are darker than they were with the 1st generation ATV4K, so the Apple unit is doing something.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
boreli
Recent bookmarks