What's new

Apple TV & Yamaha home theater issue // No 5.1 audio (1 Viewer)

edgaramaro

Auditioning
Real Name
Edgar Amaro
Hello, im new to this so from the start i would like to apologize from the beginning in case many of you get mad or annoyed if this is a repeating issue
i have:
1. Yamaha RXV471BL Digital Receiver - 5.1 Channel, 525 Watts Total, HDMI, USB, HD Audio Encoding, Black
http://www.compusa.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=89604&Sku=Y23-4364
2. Apple TV
3. Xbox 360
my xbox and apple tv are plugged in into the home theater receiver. The xbox 360 utilizes the surround system but when i use the apple tv, only the front 2 speakers work. the same thiing happens if i plug in my laptop to the home theater receiver (sony vaio, windows 7)
my questions are. Do i need to buy and optical audio cable to connect my apple tv to the receiver? and for my computer to work, would i need to buy another audio cable to connect it to my receiver?
im very confuse and would appreciate if any of you guys could help me with this issue

Dave Upton

Audiophile
Reviewer
Real Name
Dave Upton
Are you connecting the Apple TV to the receiver with HDMI? If you're using RCA cables (Stereo LR) then yes, you'll need optical for multichannel audio.

Users who are viewing this thread