What's new

Apple TV+ Apple TV+ Video Service - Exclusives, Shows and Subscribers discussion (1 Viewer)

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member
All this is good, but my concerns are two (assuming Apple succeeds):
1) you cord cut your TV subscription - what happens to your (same) Internet provider? If you save money from the cord cut, they’ll just jack up the price of your monopoliesed Internet service. Google dropping out of the Internet feed business was a tragedy.

2) if you are watching your broadcast TV via AppleTV vs TiVo, you won’t be able to skip the commercials

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Does that work for ads?

One reason TiVo remains better than streamers for me is ad skip and fast forward features.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Network apps will never be for you? Because they have ads on AppleTV, that’s where I encounter them. And why I still prefer TV via TiVo over TV via streaming box.

Netflix and amazon of course are different, having no ads. But they don’t have enough content yet to take me away from TV/cable.

Last edited:

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member
I actually extensively used the NBC Sports/Olympics app (on aTV) extensively during the South Korea winter games, and was a.blessing to watch downhill skiing essentially commercial free. There were some races with zero commercials, others with absolutely minimal ones (for the full race there would have been far more wasted time skipping regular NBC ads with my TiVo).

Bigger bonus you could watch races, live, from start to finish with none of the ten minutes of athletes bios, that had essentially made me stop watching the Olympics.

I’ll grant you this isn’t common for network apps, but there you are. Too bad I can’t report on watching the World Cup via AppleTV while in Italy...

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member
Thread title update, Let's use this to discuss the actual service and the upcoming fleet of shows on it.

The Youtube Channel to promote it is live:
https://www.macstories.net/news/apple-launches-dedicated-youtube-channel-for-apple-tv/

A terrible URL:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC1Myj674wRVXB9I4c6Hm5zA

Speaking of terrible URLs - while I can see why using YouTube is useful, can't Apple also stream videos directly from Apple.com so we don't have to deal YouTube problems from bad URLs on?

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Obviously AppleTV+ will be one, by definition, but I sort of doubt it will be used for other things - like the iPhone - Photo ads.

It's unlikely that Apple will develop an Youtube / Vimeo alternative any time soon. I wouldn't bet against them buying Vimeo at some point tho.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Apple doesn't seem to want to be in the business of hosting amateur community content for free. They're gatekeepers and want to keep the gates. Hosting all the random stuff good and bad that's posted to YouTube seems against their DNA. Maybe a Vimeo-business that's more professional minded might be in their wheelhouse?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks