What's new

Apple TV+ Apple TV+ Video Service - Exclusives, Shows and Subscribers discussion (1 Viewer)

Chris Will

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chris WIlliams
Let me get this straight. A new streaming service that barely has any content is going to show some of that content theatrically so that I don't have to subscribe to their service.

Thanks Apple!

More seriously, this does surprise me a little. Apple usually tries to forge new paths, change they way things are done, etc. So them deciding to support the "old" way of doing things is a little surprising. I just thought they would want to build up a user base first before offering other ways to view the content.

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member
More seriously, this does surprise me a little. Apple usually tries to forge new paths, change they way things are done, etc. So them deciding to support the "old" way of doing things is a little surprising. I just thought they would want to build up a user base first before offering other ways to view the content.
This is what Netflix & Amazon Prime do, because to be eligible for the Oscars, your movie has to have a theatrical release first.
This is why I get to see the new Scorsese- Netflix “The Irishman” today at the NY Film Festival.
Major directors would insist on it before they are willing to work with AppleTV+

Chris Will

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chris WIlliams
Look, "The Irishman" is only getting a limited release after the NYFF showing and will then be on Netflix a few weeks later. If they were just worried about Oscar nominations then they could go with the limited release route like Netflix. It's the support of the 90 day window I find odd. For a new service about to launch, it seems odd to say you are considering withholding content for 3 months.

David Deeb

Screenwriter
Real Name
David
Any idea if Spielberg or his name will be attached to any of these theatrical Apple films? It was only a few short months ago, he was worried about streaming's effect on theatrical distribution. Now he's producing a streaming show for a company going to get into theatrical distribution for "short" runs in order to get the film eligible for Oscars and most likely eligible for streaming immediately after the short run.

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member
In partnership with A24, Apple is also looking for a 2020 theatrical release of Sofia Coppola’s “On the Rocks,” a film that reunites the director with Bill Murray, the star of her 2003 comedic drama, “Lost in Translation,” according to the people familiar with Apple’s plans, who were not authorized to speak on the record.
I’m very excited- huge fan of Sofia Coppola’s work!
Re the short Netflix big screen period- AFAIK Amazon Prime has a longer one for its theatrical releases, so I wouldn’t take Netflix as the be all and end all example.

David Deeb

Screenwriter
Real Name
David
It was reported Apple TV will soon be coming to Roku (and other streaming) devices. Was it ever described exactly what that will consist of? Will it will just be the Apple TV+ subscription service that people will be able to subscribe to like Netflix/Hulu/Prime/Disney+/YouTubeTV, etc? Or will it be the Apple TV app be which has my movie library on like it is on my Apple products / iTunes, etc,. as well as being able to order non-Apple TV+ movies through it

I don't have an Apple TV streamer, but wouldn't mind being able to use the Airplay feature from my phone to that app, but I suspect that won't be available.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks