1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Apple TV+ Video Service - Exclusives, Shows and Subscribers discussion

Discussion in 'Streaming and Digital Media' started by Sam Posten, Jan 30, 2018.

Tags:
  1. dpippel

dpippel HTF Premium Member
    Supporter

Doug
    Why would it have to be an entire year for existing Apple customers? I'd be happy with a free month. That's not at all unreasonable IMO. How about a free 14 days? The Criterion Channel somehow managed it.

2. Message #62 of 113 Sep 10, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2019
    Cranston37

Cranston37 Screenwriter

Customers who don't purchase hardware get a free 7 days. That is in line with what other services offer including Disney+ which will also be offering 7 days in November.

But honestly - if we're down to complaining about getting 7 days instead of 14 or 30 isn't it obvious that no matter what Apple came out with the knives would be out?

I also want to add that I disagree with the framing of this by many as Apple treating new customers better than existing customers. This deal is for anyone, existing customers included, who buy a new piece of hardware. Whether or not a customer had a previous relationship with Apple plays no part in the deal they get.

3. Josh Steinberg

Josh Steinberg Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Josh Steinberg
    While I realize they were only rumors and didn’t make my plans based on them, it had been leaked from multiple sources that Apple was considering including the service for free for people who owned AppleTV boxes. Since that box costs at least 2-3 times what a Roku does, I thought that would have been a good inclusion. If those rumors had not been based on any plans Apple had been considering, which is quite possible, then i may have had an unrealistic expectation. But given that they want to attract a large audience and that they’re big on flashy gestures, i don’t think it’s crazy that they could have extended this offer to people who made purchases this year or this month. After all, when Apple announced they were upgrading everyone’s movies from HD to 4K, they didn’t do that just for new purchasers, they did it for everyone. I thought they might take the same approach here.

This service was only of marginal interest to me. If it had been free, I would have checked it out. I’m ok with not checking it out too.

4. Message #64 of 113 Sep 10, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2019
    Cranston37

Cranston37 Screenwriter

Respectfully, and I do mean that - I think you are asking something of Apple that you are not asking of other companies and services.

You are moving the bar just high enough so that it's impossible for them to reach...

Sam Posten and Josh Steinberg like this.
  5. Josh Steinberg

Reviewer

Josh Steinberg
    You may be right. Years of Apple bundling their software for free with their hardware has conditioned me to expect that the services I use it on the hardware shouldn’t cost more. It’s because I remember when you used to have to pay for the new Mac OS updates and then they did away with that - they changed to a “you buy the PC, we keep it up to date as part of that cost.” So I was kinda hoping that this service would be, “you have the AppleTV box, it’s included, and everyone else with a different box pays.”

But I mean, this isn’t the hill I’m gonna die on. I needed to make those purchases when I made them and I don’t regret it. If someone had said, “wait two months and you’ll get this service free,” making those purchases then was still a bigger priority. And this service wasn’t a priority for me even if it would have been free. My expectations may have been unfair but to me this feels a little less monumental than what I would have thought they’d have done. But it’s really not a big deal to me one way or the other.

6. Ted Todorov

Ted Todorov Producer

Unless I am misunderstanding you have 3 months from purchasing a device to get the free year of aTV+ - meaning anyone who buys a Mac/iPhone or iPad starting in September gets their free year on Nov. 1 when the aTV+ is released.

7. dpippel

dpippel HTF Premium Member
    Supporter

Doug
    Didn't know that they were offering a 7 day trial for existing customers. That's good. But you know, Apple is what, the #2 valued company in the entire world right now? Still #1? I haven't kept track. In light of that fact, some of the other comments here were not out of line IMO. Offering something like 14 days or 30 days wouldn't even be a blip on their radar.

8. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer

That's pretty much my feeling about the service, but I am not a big Apple customer (only one Apple TV 4K and iPad -- I'm a PC, Android and Roku user otherwise). I do not plan on buying any more Apple hardware in the near future, and I already have more material to watch than time -- I don't do the short free trial offerings from any of the service providers for that reason. I did bite on the Disney deal at under $4 per month, but at least with that service I know there will be some material I will watch. With Apple's offering, not so much.

9. Josh Steinberg

Reviewer

Josh Steinberg
    I don’t do the trial offerings either. With all of the new content being released everywhere, in addition to my own collection, I have more than enough stuff. I don’t need to court a new channel to see if they might have something I might enjoy. I need to be hit over the head with a guarantee that they have something I can’t miss. Disney+ with its new Marvel shows that continue storylines from films I’m invested in qualifies. CBS All Access with new Star Trek fits that description. AppleTV with a show about behind the scenes at a fictional morning news show doesn’t clear that bar for me. I’m sure it’s well done but I probably wouldn’t watch that for free on network TV, so it’s unlikely that I’d pay for a premium channel to watch it.

10. Cranston37

Cranston37 Screenwriter

That #2 valued company in the entire world right is also allowing you to share your subscription with up to 6 other people and giving you a way to get 1 free year of service. Nobody else offers that...

11. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    Well, I have three ATV4K units plus an iPhone and iPad. With that said, even if this new streaming service was free, I doubt I'll ever watch it as I have too much stuff to view already. Hell, I still haven't even finish watching "The Boys" or watch the final season of "Jessica Jones" along with some other stuff on Amazon and NetFlix. Network TV shows are dead to me now after Elementary finished up this summer. TBH, I rather spend my time watching movies than shows. I signed up for Disney+, I just hope I get my $140 worth over the next three years.:)

12. Ted Todorov

Ted Todorov Producer

Lots of people are saying the equivalent. I guess I must be the only serious Battlestar Galactica fan, which I thought was one of or maybe the best SciFi TV show ever. Just on that basis I am very eager to see For All Mankind

13. Scott Merryfield

I liked the reboot of Battlestar Galactica, but I just watched it a few years ago on either Hulu (when we had it for free with our Sprint service) or Amazon -- can't remember which. Right now, I don't have enough time to watch all my stuff the first time, let alone re-watch a TV series that I just saw a couple of years ago.

Retirement hasn't given that much more time to watch stuff, either. Instead, my extra free time has been filled with more traveling, more golf and more time assisting my elderly parents who live 3 hours away.

14. Cranston37

Cranston37 Screenwriter

15. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

Dave
    What did people think of the preview for “See”?

I thought that was the worst dialogue I’ve heard in a TV or movie preview possibly ever.
    “If we kill the children maybe they’ll leave us alone.”

Absolutely terrible preview. I don’t know how that got ok’d for mass distribution.

And as much as I’m typically interested in these high-concept sci-fi and fantasy concepts, I couldn’t buy into “mankind can’t see” idea. It was so ridiculous. It feels like a show that is going to realize it’s chosen a concept and theme that is unsustainable and will change course by the second season (if there is a second season), if not sooner.

But...wow...all that money for that cringeworthy trailer!

Maybe the show itself will be good. The cast, the production quality, hopefully it’s actually interesting.

16. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
  17. David Deeb

David Deeb Supporting Actor

David
    Why does Netflix seem to be the only content company that is constantly referred to as being threatened?

To me, how can all those horrible cable TV networks that cram 40% of every hour with commercials not feel threatened by streaming in general.

I suggest that both Netflix and Apple TV+, along with Hulu, Vudu, Vimeo, Prime, YouTube & the others will all be fine. I'll never subscribe to cable again just to get VH-1, shopping channels, History, MTV, Own, Lifetime, etc. UGH!

Sam Posten likes this.
  18. Tino

Tino Executive Producer
    Supporter

Valentino
    Because everyone always wants to take down the big guy in the room.

19. Scott Merryfield

Also, Netflix and HBO are two of the highest cost services out there.

20. Cranston37

Cranston37 Screenwriter