What's new

Apple TV+ Apple TV+ Video Service - Exclusives, Shows and Subscribers discussion (1 Viewer)

Cranston37+

🇺🇸
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick
It's about time! While they are at it, can they PLEASE create a user friendly interface? I have "added" titles to Apple TV+ but have yet to figure out where they are. Favorites? A queue? SOMETHING????

You mean you added titles to the Apple TV app? Apple TV+ is the subscription service.

If you added titles to the Apple TV app (I'm assuming you hit "Add to Up Next"?) then they will be right across the very top of the app. The first thing you see...

Last edited:

Thucydides

Grip
Real Name
Shane
Apple has clarified their strategy around licensing third-party content. They will consider licensing older movies or tv shows if they are commissioning new material for those properties.

In that spirit, Apple have licensed all 96 episodes of Fraggle Rock exclusively in 100 countries. This includes all the live-action material (which means they also have the specials) but not the animated spin-off. Apple is also rebooting Fraggle Rock. In fact, according to the article it was the Jim Henson Company that suggested to Apple that if they are going to reboot Fraggle Rock, they should consider licensing the original show.

Thucydides

Grip
Real Name
Shane
Apple is bank-rolling the Scorsese movie "Killer of the Flower Moon". Paramount will handle worldwide theatrical distribution. This will likely be the first Apple original movie with a shot at the oscars.

The deal, which calls for Apple to finance and become the creative studio, gives the movie a hybrid situation and the best of both worlds. The film will get a wide theatrical release through Paramount before it becomes the biggest film title so far on Apple’s streaming service. A big priority was for this a large scale Western and that was important to Scorsese, DiCaprio, De Niro and the film’s producers Dan Friedkin and Bradley Thomas at Imperative.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
So they're going with the Amazon model, of an exclusive theatrical window first followed by streaming later. I wonder if that might be part of why Apple got it instead of Scorsese going back to Netflix, where he would have had to settle for an extremely limited theatrical release again.

This will likely be the first Apple original movie with a shot at the oscars.

Greyhound (the Tom Hanks WWII movie that they bought from Sony post-coronavirus) could have a shot. It qualifies under the Academy's new rules because it was intended to have a theatrical release prior to the pandemic, so it could win something if it's good. That one has become an Apple Original retroactively, because they bought a finished movie, but you're right that the Scorsese project will be their first homegrown prestige film.

I have a free year of AppleTV+ because I bought a Mac earlier in the year, but I haven't found much on it that I want to watch yet.

David Deeb

Screenwriter
Real Name
David
I have a free year of AppleTV+ because I bought a Mac earlier in the year, but I haven't found much on it that I want to watch yet.

Part of that is because there's barely anything on it to find in the first place. I enjoyed Morning Show. I'm really enjoying the Defending Jacob miniseries. Amazing Stories - meh. Servant was interesting for 1 season and should have ended there. But like many other mysterious shows, will probably go on until it makes no sense because there's no real point other than being odd. I have the free year as well. But I'm not sure I'll stay with it after it ends. It's an odd strategy they are attempting.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I have the free year as well. But I'm not sure I'll stay with it after it ends. It's an odd strategy they are attempting.

I think bundling it with Apple products is smart, because it at least gets customers to try out the app. I highly doubt I will stick with it as a permanent subscription after my free year ends, but I could pop in and out during months when they have something I want to watch. I'll definitely watch Greyhound for sure. Although, since that was originally scheduled for theatrical release in June, I assume they won't wait that long to release it, so it will be on there before my year trial ends.

As far as other original content, at this point what they have is what they have. The pandemic has made more people stream more content more often, but it also disrupted production on pretty much everything, so an other new things they were planning to launch are probably going to have to go on the backburner for now.

Thucydides

Grip
Real Name
Shane
I think Apple is in it for the long haul and plan to build their library over time. Eventually they'll have a large enough collection where the value prop makes more sense for more people. We can already see that as time passes they're willing to make increasingly larger investments. Not to mention, they're building their own in-house studio (Apple Studio) from scratch. I'm pretty sure 'Masters of the Air', their first production, is currently underway.

This wouldn't be a viable strategy for a startup, like Quibi for example, but Apple has the resources to keep chugging along. Also, it helps that a subscription is only $5, which is about the price of a movie rental. So as they get interesting or popular movies here and there it makes financial sense to subscribe to the service for a month to check out the movie and, might as well, poke around to see what else they have. Each time this happens Apple will retain some percentage of those subs.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I'm pretty sure 'Masters of the Air', their first production, is currently underway.

It might have been before the pandemic, but pretty much everything is shut down right now. Who knows when they will be able to resume, or how long it will take until they can actually bring that out? The virus is causing more people to stream more stuff, but it's also causing a significant delay in the production and release of new content which might slow down Apple's attempted momentum.

Right now, they've definitely got the least of all the streamers: Netflix and Amazon have been doing this for years, Disney+ has all of Disney's library content, HBO Max has everything WB was able to get the rights to again, and the same will be true of Peacock for Universal. So they are at a disadvantage, at least until the pandemic begins to subside and they can actually resume making new content.

Cranston37+

🇺🇸
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick
Apple is bank-rolling the Scorsese movie "Killer of the Flower Moon". Paramount will handle worldwide theatrical distribution. This will likely be the first Apple original movie with a shot at the oscars.

One detail regarding this I will be interested to see when the time comes - does Apple keep this only for Apple TV+ subscribers or do they also sell it on iTunes?

David Deeb

Screenwriter
Real Name
David
One detail regarding this I will be interested to see when the time comes - does Apple keep this only for Apple TV+ subscribers or do they also sell it on iTunes?

Good question. I would think they would have it exclusive for a period of time, then sell/rent it on iTunes. Until the monthly subscription for Apple TV+ goes over $5, it could be an interesting test to rent it for $4. Might encourage subscribers.

Cranston37+

🇺🇸
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick
Good question. I would think they would have it exclusive for a period of time, then sell/rent it on iTunes. Until the monthly subscription for Apple TV+ goes over $5, it could be an interesting test to rent it for $4. Might encourage subscribers.

It's definitely an interesting debate for those who have a mind for business/economics. You obviously want a marquee title like this to help your service gain subscribers. On the other hand if a consumer wants to give you $20 for an iTunes purchase instead of $5 for a month of ATV+ that would have its merits as well.

You can argue that $5 might turn into $50 if they stay, but it could also stay $5 if they leave. And then there are the people who already subscribe - if they are already paying their money for ATV+ and want to give you an additional $20 to own a copy why not take it...

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
For those interested, FandangoNow has finally arrived on Atv.

Cranston37+

🇺🇸
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick
A nice little app, but should we move discussion of it to the Fandango/Vudu thread? This one is for the Apple TV+ service...

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Yeah I saw that one after I posted this.

looked for a General Atv topic but couldn’t find one. I swear there was one.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Oh brother. I always forget about the apple section. And yeah the missing 4K will become a discussion.

Cranston37+

🇺🇸
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick
I just like that I now have 5 apps on my ATV that I can access my digital movie collection from.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks