Apple TV+ Video Service - Exclusives, Shows and Subscribers discussion

Tino

Executive Producer
Premium
Reaction score
Real Name
Valentino
I’ve gotta get a cheap AppleTV device in next hour. Thoughts on fire vs roku?
edit. Never mind.

Do both devices have the same full functionality as the ATV 4K?

Josh Steinberg

Executive Producer
Reviewer
Reaction score
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Never had the Fire. That said, from what I’ve read the Fire is more limited in apps it supports and sound formats it outputs compared to the Roku. If it’s just for AppleTV maybe that doesn’t matter but I get the sense that in the long run a Roku also offers more flexibility.

Reactions: David Deeb and Tino

Sam Posten

Reaction score
Website
www.navesink.net
Real Name
Sam Posten
edit. Never mind.

Do both devices have the same full functionality as the ATV 4K?
Clearly no. But the target audience won’t spring $180 and they will $50. It’s not my money so I don’t get a say. I have noted for years that it’s clear to see how Apple is losing sales like this but first time real hand experience in action.
EDA24DFF-0C24-43B4-BA92-28562B2432A4.jpeg

Tino

Executive Producer
Premium
Reaction score
Real Name
Valentino
Clearly no. But the target audience won’t spring $180 and they will $50. It’s not my money so I don’t get a say. I have noted for years that it’s clear to see how Apple is losing sales like this but first time real hand experience in action. View attachment 69411
I was just looking at the same roku unit.

Scott Merryfield

Executive Producer
Reaction score
I have been using both a Roku Premiere 4K (in our master bedroom) and a Roku Express (at my parents' home in rural northern Michigan) with the Apple TV app quite a bit lately. The interface isn't quite as good as a true Apple TV box, but it's gotten better since it was launched. As @Adam Lenhardt said, the video and audio quality are excellent.

My biggest complaint had been that not all my purchases were showing up in the "library" section -- especially the TV shows. However, I noticed during our trip to northern Michigan the past few days (we are in the process of moving my mother to a condo near us) that many more of my TV show purchases were showing up -- maybe all, as I didn't scroll past the first screen. I could still play the shows, but had to find them either by searching or if they appeared in the "Up Next" section.

BTW, all my mother's stuff is in her condo as of last night (we hired professional movers for the 180 mile move), so if anyone wants to stop by today to help us begin the task of unpacking about 75 boxes, they will be welcome. ;)

Reactions: Sam Posten

Tino

Executive Producer
Premium
Reaction score
Real Name
Valentino

mark-edk

Second Unit
Reaction score
A disappointing mess of a premiere. Hope the remaining episodes are better.
I didn't think it was horrible, but it wasn't great either. It's like a variant of Kate and Leopold but in reverse.

Cranston37

Cinematographer
Reaction score
Real Name
Epix is available for free through Apple TV channels through May 2

Reactions: EricSchulz

EricSchulz

Producer
Reaction score
I signed up for that on Saturday. I nice selection of recent AND classic movies.

I also took advantage of the free month of CBS Access.

David Deeb

Screenwriter
Reaction score
Real Name
David
“Apple TV+ for Free: Dickinson, Servant, For All Mankind, Snoopy and More | TVLine”
https://tvline.com/2020/04/09/apple-tv-free-dickinson-for-all-mankind/
I'd love to know the number of paid Apple TV+ subscribers this free trial generated. I'm sure Apple will never share that, but would be interesting nevertheless.

This particular subscription service just isn't generating the kind of buzz I expected. I really like the Morning Show, but not much else. And that's not even included in the free trial.

DaveF

Reaction score
Real Name
Dave
I'd love to know the number of paid Apple TV+ subscribers this free trial generated. I'm sure Apple will never share that, but would be interesting nevertheless.

This particular subscription service just isn't generating the kind of buzz I expected. I really like the Morning Show, but not much else. And that's not even included in the free trial.
I've heard the shows are good. But as for me, and I think my immediate friends, we're all overloaded with streaming content as is. Even at $5/mo, well I've got Disney+ for that price. Sure, AppleTV costs a third what Netflix costs, but Netflix has *so* much content I love. And Amazon Prime is basically free, coupled with the shipping program.

Apple is in the mix against Hulu and CBS, for me: services with a couple shows I want to watch but not so many that it's worth another $5 to $15 per month.

I might try out the free shows they're offering. Or if the free year offer for new products continues, I'll get that when I (hopefully) upgrade phones this Fall.

But Apple presumably understands this is a long-term, strategic effort. They will build up their library, and build up subscriber base year to year. Or not? We'll see.

Reactions: David Deeb

Bernard McNair

Second Unit
Reaction score
Real Name
Bernard McNair
Watched The Banker on Apple on Saturday evening. I knew nothing of the history of the two real characters and found the movie to be highly enjoyable with fine performances and good production values.

ScottJH

Supporting Actor
Reaction score
Real Name
Scott
Just happened to check this out and discovered since Epix has the James Bond titles up through Brosnan you can stream the 4k versions for free. OMG Goldeneye PQ so much better than the Blu-ray.

mark-edk

Second Unit
Reaction score
Apple Inc. is acquiring older movies and shows for its TV+ streaming service, aiming to build a back catalog of content that can better stack up against the huge libraries available on Netflix, Hulu and Disney+.

Reactions: EricSchulz

EricSchulz

Producer
Reaction score
Apple Inc. is acquiring older movies and shows for its TV+ streaming service, aiming to build a back catalog of content that can better stack up against the huge libraries available on Netflix, Hulu and Disney+.

It's about time! While they are at it, can they PLEASE create a user friendly interface? I have "added" titles to Apple TV+ but have yet to figure out where they are. Favorites? A queue? SOMETHING????

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
technocratshorizons