What's new

Apple TV+ Apple TV+ Video Service - Exclusives, Shows and Subscribers discussion (1 Viewer)

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I don’t see Disney as being a potential suitor here. Fox was a worthwhile purchase to them because they got a deep catalog of both family and more adult films which fill in the gaps of the Disney brand, plus production facilities, non-news/non-sports cable networks, and the piece of Hulu they were missing.

MGM doesn’t have anything like that to offer. They’re essentially a holding company that strip mines their intellectual properties by putting together packages wherein they bring on outside financiers to bankroll independent production companies to physically produce the film, for which they then partner with other studios to distribute.

Apple can probably do all of that with MGM themselves. They have the money to finance productions, and their new AppleTV+ service to distribute the content. They have production deals with a growing number of high profile talents. An MGM purchase would immediately give them a collection of existing properties to exploit in today’s era of reboots, remakes and sequels. And given the trend of turning older movies into premium streaming projects, it could provide them with known qualities to exploit.

We’re in the midst of a massive paradigm shift with media and entertainment from all angles. But in the end, a technology company that historically has been focused on providing high quality goods and high quality content with technically good presentations is probably a better fit than the old days when studios were being bought out by parking garage companies.

DeWilson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Denny
The most valuable property MGM owns is the STARGATE franchise - which is ripe for a revival-reunion-reboot. But with the mess MGM has for years, they have mishandled the property.

Also worth mentioning the catalog - both the ZIV TV Library (Sea Hunt, Highway Patrol,Bat Masterson,etc) and the American International Pictures library of films also have value in being exploited.

Chris Will

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chris WIlliams
Funny you mention Stargate, I just started binge watching SG1 through Amazon Prime this week. I really enjoy all the Stargate shows, even SGU. Love the movie as well.

DVBRD

Second Unit
Real Name
Andy
The most valuable property MGM owns is the STARGATE franchise - which is ripe for a revival-reunion-reboot. But with the mess MGM has for years, they have mishandled the property.

I think that the James Bond franchise is bigger for MGM. But that doesn't diminish Stargate's popularity at all.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I think Bond grosses more but MGM only owns 50% of it, and they seek finance partners to help with their end, so the amount that an MGM buyer could make from Bond could end up being less just due to having to share.

Cranston37+

🇺🇸
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick
To put the complicated Bond ownership thing into $$$ terms - we know from the Sony hack at the time of "Spectre" that for "Skyfall"

MGM made $175mil
Danjaq made $109mil
Sony made $57mil

Last edited:

John*Wells

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I want them nowhere near Netflix or Apple. I would prefer they merge with Sony. I speculated out loud recently regarding Disney possibly. But As josh says, they don’t really fit with Disney

Cranston37+

🇺🇸
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick
I think that if they had SUBSTANTIALLY more original product and/or catalog that 10% number would be higher. I really think Apple bungled this one.

I don't think Apple was ever meaning to compete with the other services. They're using this to be just one of the services that brings and keeps people in the Apple ecosystem. They are operating this service on different terms and with different metrics of success.

Last edited:

EricSchulz

Senior HTF Member
I HIGHLY recommend Visible Out On Television. Outstanding documentary that actually spends time exploring the various aspects of the evolution of LBGTQ+ people on TV.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OttoIsHere
Recent bookmarks