What's new

Apple TV+ Apple TV+ Video Service - Exclusives, Shows and Subscribers discussion (1 Viewer)

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Indeed! Apple always expect the same thing that happened with the music industry & iTunes to happen with the TV & Movie industry, but it didn't (and it won't).
It is hard to say, but I think their biggest mistake was not producing yet one more AppleTV - namely the HDTV monitor itself.
I doubt even the most ardent Apple fan boy would be willing to pay the premium up charge on a big screen TV just to have an Apple logo on it.

Chris Will

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chris WIlliams
So, I tried asking Siri to "show me Apple TV+ Shows" and it worked... kind of.

Just like any Siri search, it displayed the results in horizontal bar on the bottom 3rd of my TV. It did list all the Apple TV+ shows but, the first 2 results displayed were just trailers for unreleased shows (Servant, and Truth Be Told). The rest of the results didn't show which ones I had started watching or not, etc. So, no thank you. That is not as good as a shortcut would be straight to the TV+ section of the TV app.

Thucydides

Grip
Real Name
Shane
Apple has officially announced that See, For All Mankind, and Dickinson have been renewed for a second season. The Morning Show already had a two-season order.

If "sources close to Apple" are to be believed, the launch of TV+ was successful:

"Sources close to Apple say all four series delivered "millions" of viewers over launch weekend after all four shows debuted Nov. 1 on the $5 per-month subscription service. (The service was free for seven days at launch.) Those same sources say Apple is thrilled with the early performance of all four shows. The average time spent on Apple's TV+ platform was well over an hour for each viewer, those same sources said. Viewership is said to have grown "triple digits" from Friday to Saturday and again from Saturday to Sunday as first adopters returned over the weekend. Apple, like other streamers Netflix, Amazon and Hulu, does not release viewership information. Information on total sign-ups for the service was was not immediately revealed."​

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/l...ly-renewed-second-seasons-at-apple-tv-1252113

Cranston37+

🇺🇸
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick
That is not as good as a shortcut would be straight to the TV+ section of the TV app.

I know I already said it a few pages back but... the first thing you see just after your "Up Next" shows isn't this huge banner that takes you straight to the TV+ section?

14B61753-D3B5-46F1-997F-6068864C6590.jpeg

BB04BE21-5AE9-4C97-8C1B-6EDEC229EE9E.jpeg

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I think the big question is, what will this service be doing a year from now when all the free subscriptions run out? Will they retain a bulk of their customers of will the customers think “that was nice but I’m not paying for it”?

I’d be curious to know what percentage of their subscribers are paying customers and what percentage are free offer redeemers.

Thucydides

Grip
Real Name
Shane
We learned something new last night.

New episodes are released midnight eastern time. This means folks on the west coast got the new episode of See, For All Mankind, and The Morning Show at Thursday 9pm pacific rather then the Friday.

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member
I doubt even the most ardent Apple fan boy would be willing to pay the premium up charge on a big screen TV just to have an Apple logo on it.
The way I pictured it was strictly a monitor (say 4K OLED HDR 55/65/75") with all "smart software" taking place in a replaceable external (or a slot devices) AppleTV.
What that gives customers is something that will absolutely last for over a decade, that is absolutely secure, and that will have absolutely up to date software support, that can be upgraded regularly via tvOS and occasionally for the latest and greatest Axx Apple CPU/GPU chip for very a tiny amount of $$ relative to upgrading the entire monitor.
Meanwhile everyone else who bought a Sony or Samsung or .... smart TV will be forced to upgrade the entire thing because of security or other software issues with their long unsupported device.
They'll notice that their friends or neighbors 12 year old Apple monitor is still absolutely up to date with the latest & greatest and free of security issues software, and this time will get a new Apple monitor.
Ardent Apple fan boy? This is exactly the same as saying that anyone who gets "overpriced" iPhone instead of a cheap Android phone that does everything you need is an Apple fan boy. Trouble is, anyone who got a relatively cheap iPhone SE is still getting the latest software, meanwhile they probably had to replace their Android phone twice during the same period.
(And yes, I have a large number of friends happily still using 5 year old iPhones - I have never met an Android/Samsung equivalent person).

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
The first time I heard of something called AppleTv this is exactly what I expected and was confused when I found out it was only a steaming box and an expensive one at that.

I have one now and like it but it’s not a tv and I’m surprised they never went there.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
The way I pictured it was strictly a monitor (say 4K OLED HDR 55/65/75") with all "smart software" taking place in a replaceable external (or a slot devices) AppleTV.
What that gives customers is something that will absolutely last for over a decade, that is absolutely secure, and that will have absolutely up to date software support, that can be upgraded regularly via tvOS and occasionally for the latest and greatest Axx Apple CPU/GPU chip for very a tiny amount of $$ relative to upgrading the entire monitor.
Meanwhile everyone else who bought a Sony or Samsung or .... smart TV will be forced to upgrade the entire thing because of security or other software issues with their long unsupported device.
They'll notice that their friends or neighbors 12 year old Apple monitor is still absolutely up to date with the latest & greatest and free of security issues software, and this time will get a new Apple monitor.
Ardent Apple fan boy? This is exactly the same as saying that anyone who gets "overpriced" iPhone instead of a cheap Android phone that does everything you need is an Apple fan boy. Trouble is, anyone who got a relatively cheap iPhone SE is still getting the latest software, meanwhile they probably had to replace their Android phone twice during the same period.
(And yes, I have a large number of friends happily still using 5 year old iPhones - I have never met an Android/Samsung equivalent person).
That really doesn't doing anything that the existing Apple TV streaming box accomplishes, except for being a proprietary card going into a proprietary slot of a proprietary display instead of plugging into a standard HDMI port of any display or AVR on the market.

BTW, we used to keep our Android phones for about 3-4 years before beginning to lease them via Sprint, as it's about the same price as the replacement cycle I had when buying the phones and I get the latest model every 12-18 months... for about a quarter of the monthly price that people are paying for a similar deal for the latest iPhone. Even when I purchased the phones, though, I still came out ahead cost-wise at 3-4 years versus your 5 years for an iPhone at the price I could buy an Android phone.

Last edited:

DavidJ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
I don't plan to subscribe to this anytime soon, but I'm still grateful for it because it got Apple to finally release an AppleTV app for the Roku, so I can watch my iTunes purchases.

I‘m interested in checking out some of the shows but am in no hurry to subscribe either. I haven’t been able to keep with the shows I’m currently watching on the networks and other services. I may bite on the free trial at some point.

Mark Klaus

Stunt Coordinator
I wonder, is it possible to sign up by mistake?

I did not go through a normal sign up, but I watched the first episode of some of the shows as it appeared they were offering the first episode free. However, then I noticed it was offering me the second episodes. I assumed when I clicked it would tell me that I needed to sign up, but no, it just showed me the episode.

Perhaps I signed up simply by playing the episode, since Apple already had my credit card info for itunes? For $5, I really don't care, and the shows are pretty good.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
I wonder, is it possible to sign up by mistake?

I did not go through a normal sign up, but I watched the first episode of some of the shows as it appeared they were offering the first episode free. However, then I noticed it was offering me the second episodes. I assumed when I clicked it would tell me that I needed to sign up, but no, it just showed me the episode.

Perhaps I signed up simply by playing the episode, since Apple already had my credit card info for itunes? For $5, I really don't care, and the shows are pretty good.

Maybe if no one does by the weekend.

I’m only watching the first two eps.
They seemed to be free to me since I haven’t subscribed.

Cranston37+

🇺🇸
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick
I watched the first episode of some of the shows as it appeared they were offering the first episode free. However, then I noticed it was offering me the second episodes. I assumed when I clicked it would tell me that I needed to sign up, but no, it just showed me the episode

The first 2 episodes are free

Cranston37+

🇺🇸
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick
With Apple +, Disney +, Peacock, HBO's new streaming service and more all arriving around the same time, what does this mean just two weeks after the debut of Apple TV + ?

I would say it's a sign an industry vet sees Apple TV+ as having a bright future considering the first thing said industry vet did upon leaving was to sign an exclusive first-look deal with Apple...

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks