What's new

Apple TV+ Apple TV+ Is really hitting its stride (1 Viewer)

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Building off early successes like Ted Lasso the new stuff is all really high quality. Black bird is fantastic. For All Mankind is getting raves. The kids TV shows are doing really well. This is what Apple does, start modest and grow monsters.

Last edited:

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Ted Lasso is the best show since The Good Place. It's truly must-see, and worth subscribing to aTV for.

Severance. One of the best seasons of TV. Sublime.

Mythic Quest, how did I almost forget this? It starts so-so-silly but evolves into amazing modern dramedy. The pandemic episodes are unexpected.

Schmigadoon!

Central Park: Daveed Diggs, Stanley Tucci, Josh Gad...why aren't you watching this already?

With The Expanse over, For All Mankind is now the best scifi on TV. (West World fans, don't @ me, it's great too but I didn't like S3 so FAM wins.)

Dickinson, I've only watched one episode of, but I was struck by it. I want to get back to it.

There's more. I can't watch it all. I hope to get to The Morning Show, Dr. Brain, Slow Horses, and others.

EricSchulz

Senior HTF Member
I REALLY tried to watch Severance but hated it. I really wish there was more content available. I’ll resubscribe when the next seasons of Ted Lasso and Schmigadoon! are available.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
I tried the 1st season of The Morning Show... and while it started out engaging enough and had its moments throughout, I just felt like I could take it or leave it by the end of that 1st season -- there's just too much content available all over I'd rather get to... besides my huge backlog of discs...

Never actually got around to watching most everything else beyond that and Ted Lasso and Schmigadoon!... before my 1-year trial ended... though I definitely did intend to check out Dickinson and a couple Apple-produced films (and guess I'll add Severance and whatever else recommended here to that) -- probably whenever I get around to resubscribing for a month or something...

_Man_

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Just got around to getting back to my 3-month trial (for Apple Card customers) after my Amazon Prime free trial ended (w/ nearly all my streaming binging focused on that).

Just finished watching Shining Girls, which nobody's mentioned so far. Intriguing/gripping enough mystery thriller -- and like/love pretty much everything I've seen w/ Elizabeth Moss so far -- but certainly a bit headspinningly convoluted (and potentially too much so for many) for much of the (miniseries) run (and I suppose the ending might not satisfy enough for some). This is one I'll probably have to revisit soon (and that's rare for me), if I can find the time, just because I feel like I musta missed some little details/clues along the way (partly because I wasn't paying quite my full attention at least at first), but also, maybe it'd actually play better the 2nd time (w/ my head not spinning so much, realizing what I'm in for LOL). Well, I want to love it anyway... and maybe it'll be worth owning on discs, if it ever gets a release...

Also just finally started watching Foundation, which looks promising enough...

IF Apple continues to ramp up their array of quality series while keeping pricing low like now, maybe it'll indeed be worth keeping on a regular basis, especially for those of us who also use Apple Music and iCloud storage -- it's just another couple dollars to go for Apple One w/ ATV+ included...

_Man_

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Slow Horses is indeed excellent! And I liked Foundation, which I just finished watching, a good deal as well -- I've never actually read the books (though had intended to many years ago back during my high school years), but can imagine there's quite a lot of compression and alterations (perhaps bordering on a tad too much) going on w/ this series... though seems like mostly done quite well at least for those of us not that familiar w/ the source...

Can't wait for more of these series...

I have to say though I wasn't that crazy about Dickinson after watching the first 2-3 episodes a while back. Just feels too oddly anachronistic, etc for my taste and reminds me a little bit of Baz Luhrmann's spins -- no, I'm not at all a fan of his Moulin Rouge!, NVM his Romeo+Juliet, etc...

_Man_

Last edited:

Jason Goodmanson

Second Unit
Real Name
Jason
I read the book The Shining Girls awhile back. I just remember liking it, but the show for the most part felt totally unfamiliar.
Regardless, I enjoyed the show.

My wife and I just finished Severance (based on a co-worker's rec) and wow - that was something. I need more NOW.

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member
Watched the first episode last night, definitely very enjoyable (helps that I am a fan of both the lead actors):

One mild criticism -- there seems to be no subtitle method where you only get English (or French) subtitles when necessary -- i.e. I don't want English subtitles when they are speaking English, only when they speak other languages.

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
Today I decided to cancel my $7 a month Apple TV subscription. I watch it the least of all of my services, and it also "forgets" my password often. I guess it's for security reasons, but it's just a hassle. I assume I'll be able to see Scorsese's next movie in a theater anyway.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Apple TV+ is perhaps one of the most watched services I own.

Got rid of Netflix months ago because the price was just so exorbitant.

Ted Lasso has had its ups and downs. However, it has been an extremely well-done series.

The Morning Show is excellent. Have watched both seasons and looking forward to S3.

Currently watching For All Mankind. Halfway through Season 2 and I expect to be up-to-date within a month. Really enjoying it.

May watch Silo next. Just read it's the #2 most popular show streaming right now. I just kind of dislike post-apocalyptic stories. We'll see.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Today I decided to cancel my $7 a month Apple TV subscription. I watch it the least of all of my services, and it also "forgets" my password often. I guess it's for security reasons, but it's just a hassle. I assume I'll be able to see Scorsese's next movie in a theater anyway.

FWIW, if interested, maybe you can do their new 2-month free trial promo sometime later before that expires in early July -- it's supposed to work for returning subscribers too, but not sure how long you have to wait to use it. I plan to do that myself (in early July).

Presumably, if using that in early July, the free trial should cover most (but not all) of the upcoming new season of Foundation that's due for 1-episode/week drop starting mid-July.

_Man_

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Weird and bummer. Have never had AppleTV forget my password.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I’m with @Ronald Epstein AppleTV is currently top of my viewing (though Netflix remains my overall primary streaming service).

Here’s some recent shows I have or am now watching:

EricSchulz

Senior HTF Member
I no longer have Apple TV+ but was able to watch the first episode of season two Schmigadoon! and loved it! It’s showing six episodes in the season. Have they all dropped? I’m definitely resubscribing for a month to see the rest and catch up on Ted Lasso, too.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I no longer have Apple TV+ but was able to watch the first episode of season two Schmigadoon! and loved it! It’s showing six episodes in the season. Have they all dropped? I’m definitely resubscribing for a month to see the rest and catch up on Ted Lasso, too.

Is it a good show? The premise seems extremely hokey to me. However, I like Cicely Strong, and if there is substance here, I'm willing to watch it in another week when I finally finish S3 of FOR ALL MANKIND.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks