What's new

Apple TV 4K official (2 Viewers)

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
That was way harder and more complex than it should have been. Definitely not the aTV’s fault. But it needed cables and deep-menu settings on two devices and multiple tests and unintuitive settings on the aTV.

But, is working. So next opportunity I can try out some DV content from my HTPC and see if that works.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Recommended settings link in first post:

David Deeb

Screenwriter
Real Name
David
The Apple TV isn't syncing what I watch from the app on the Roku Ultra, over to our primary Apple TV device. I normally watch Apple TV+ shows on our home theater. But sometimes I'll watch part of an episode on the bedroom set (using the Apple TV app on a Roku Ultra).

When I go back to the Apple TV device, it doesn't remember where I left off in the episode. It starts from the beginning. Anyone else experience this, or know of the solution?

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Sadly the new season of Stranger Things is Atmos.

No, I have no problem with the codec, I love Atmos soundtracks. But now this means I'm suffering from the dreaded Apple TV 4K v2 + Netflix + Atmos random crackling/static/dropout issue. I had thought this was a new development, but it turns out historically there hasn't been much on Netflix that I watched that had Atmos soundtracks (including earlier seasons of ST). So sadly I only noticed this issue when likely I've been prone to it but just never previously exposed to the flaw. Luckily my TVs also have Netflix apps so I'm able to watch on those flawlessly, and enjoy the Atmos sound. On no other app on my ATV4K does this happen: HBO Max, Prime, Disney all flawlessly play Atmos to my Denon 4500h.

One interesting thing I read is that someone said if they plugged their ATV4K directly to their TV, and then used eARC to stream the Atmos to their receiver, they didn't experience the Atmos issues. If I have a long enough HDMI cable I may try that out later. The maddening thing about it is that the problem is totally random. Sometimes I can watch entire episodes or even a full length movie and no issues. Others, it just pops up regularly. It's not content dependent.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I haven’t subscribed to Netflix 4K to try Atmos previously. I’ll be renewing for ST next week and will definitely pay for Atmos this time. Hopefully no problems.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
The Apple TV isn't syncing what I watch from the app on the Roku Ultra, over to our primary Apple TV device. I normally watch Apple TV+ shows on our home theater. But sometimes I'll watch part of an episode on the bedroom set (using the Apple TV app on a Roku Ultra).

When I go back to the Apple TV device, it doesn't remember where I left off in the episode. It starts from the beginning. Anyone else experience this, or know of the solution?
No, I am able to resume playback of shows while switching between our Apple TV device and the Apple TV app on at least some of our Roku devices. We have numerous Roku models, and I have not tried this on all of them, but I know it works with the Ultra (newer model that supports Dolby Vision) and Roku 4K soundbar. We also have an original Ultra, a 4K Premiere and a couple of Express models.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
So it's too soon to draw a definitive conclusion, but I re-wired my AppleTV to go directly to my LG C1 OLED, and am using eARC HDMI to go from the TV to the Denon 4500h and so far I've watched an entire episode of the new Stranger Things season and have not encountered the Atmos glitch. Now sometimes I could go for a while between glitches, so I'm not quite considering this thing fully resolved, but if I do encounter one I'll update this thread.

If this is the "solution" I wonder what the issue is with regards to the AppleTV to Denon AVR connection while only using the Netflix app with Atmos programs. Because according to several forums I'm not the only one who is encountering this.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
OS17. Smaller icons, six to a row instead of five. A clock and the initials of the account when you’re on the top row.

I had to restart after installation to get Hulu to work on the first unit I updated.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
It was a major update, though I don’t know what changed below the surface. The smaller icons are a nice improvement. They were too large and took up too much space.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
I haven't done any deep digging but I think there's some new-fangled interconnectivity possible between an iDevice and an AppleTV if both are on the newest iterations of their respective OSes.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I haven't done any deep digging but I think there's some new-fangled interconnectivity possible between an iDevice and an AppleTV if both are on the newest iterations of their respective OSes.
Yeah, I just told JPCinema to check his AppleTV app again because this latest firmware update might have addressed his issues with his iTunes digital library not showing up on his AppleTV app when using his AppleTV unit.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Did something recently change in respect to the home app screen?
Something looks different but i cant put my finger on it.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Did something recently change in respect to the home app screen?
Something looks different but i cant put my finger on it.

For tvOS 17, they reduced the size of the app icons to yield 1 extra column of them... so naturally, everything also shifted around some because of that -- plus they added a FaceTime app (that's probably on the 1st row by default).

_Man_

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks