What's new

Apple TV 4K official (2 Viewers)

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
I am an apple music subscriber and it works completely separate from any other device on the Apple TV 4K.
Thanks Wayne! I have an older Apple TV (2nd or 3rd gen I can't remember) and from what I could tell I couldn't manage and playback Apple Music directly from there, I had to stream to it, or connect the ATV to, my laptop or iPhone which was logged in to Apple Music.

Since it seems I can truly play/stream directly from Apple Music to the 4K Apple TV, without the need for any of my other Apple devices to be on and connected to it, I now am very tempted to get this as an early Christmas present to myself.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Wow, so what is the deal with the 64GB versions? All nearby Best Buys (like 10 of them) have zero in stock. No local Apple stores have them in stock and show a January XX delivery date. 32GBs abound everywhere. Did Apple not source enough 64GB RAM chips?

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I think it's not officially released yet. B&H shows it as a "New Item - Coming Soon". If they'd ever received any it would say it was backordered. Apple also shows it not available until 1/18.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
I think it's not officially released yet. B&H shows it as a "New Item - Coming Soon". If they'd ever received any it would say it was backordered. Apple also shows it not available until 1/18.

I bought a 64GB directly from Apple over a month ago. It's been released.

gadgtfreek

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jason
11.2 has been great in beta, see it is going live, nice. Hey Amazon, how about a damn app...

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Wow, so what is the deal with the 64GB versions? All nearby Best Buys (like 10 of them) have zero in stock. No local Apple stores have them in stock and show a January XX delivery date. 32GBs abound everywhere. Did Apple not source enough 64GB RAM chips?

Because Apple is silently clearing stock to make room for the surprise launch of the 8K 128GB Apple TV in January!

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Because Apple is silently clearing stock to make room for the surprise launch of the 8K 128GB Apple TV in January!

I'm in! lol
In all seriousness I know Apple doesn't make its own memory chips, it sources them. I wonder if the launch of the iPhone 8/8+/X has constrained their memory supplies so they're prioritizing the iPhones and lowest ATV over the 64GB ATV. Total conjecture, no proof on my part.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Because it's not obvious that it's necessary. And most people should buy the 32.
Sam, since you have two of the 64s and I know you love gaming, how much extra stuff would you have to load it up with to need more than 32BG?

BTW, as far as me getting the impression that it hadn't been released, it just seemed strange that B&H shows it as a pre-order when it's already been released. They probably figured that the availability is so far off, that was the safer way to post it.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Zero clue. I hemmed and hawed over spending the extra for 64 and decided it was better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it. I never game on it, it's 100% a media box for me, probably completely wasted dough. No ragrets.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Honestly, I probably would have done the same thing on the first one I just ordered, if the 64 was available.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
You’ll be fine with 32GB. I’ve got two. For all practical purposes, it’s an appliance in the sense that I have never had to be aware of its storage capacity.

The weird part of the product lineup is Apple selling a higher capacity model with no explanation for why anyone needs it.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Does anyone with an Apple 4K TV use the NHL app to watch games? I have read of people not getting HD streams of the games using Apple TV on a hockey forum which I frequent, but they are not specific regarding which Apple model they are using.

I was getting frustrated with my Roku Ultra due to all the issues I was having with the device, so was close to pulling the trigger on an Apple 4K TV even though I'm not much of an Apple customer. The lack of Amazon (which appears to be finally resolved) and NHL in HD were my two biggest concerns. The Ultra has been a lot more stable since Roku replaced it for me, though, so adding an Apple TV isn't as urgent any longer.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks