What's new

Apple TV 4K official (1 Viewer)

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Apple just dropped a huge a$$ gauntlet for music lovers. I remember deciding I only wanted to subscribe to one service. Spotify is the market leader in users. Tidal was the high def game in town. But I went with Apple Music primarily because I was already in their ecosystem and looked with jealousy at the relatively few people I knew who used but enjoyed the sound quality of Tidal.

I no longer look at them with jealousy.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Here’s how much of a game changer this is for music lovers. I had planned on screening the Indy 4K films when I wrapped up work. Instead I’m sitting here listening to Atmos music.

I realize we live in a world that doesn’t value music like in the olden days. But for those who still find passion in the their favorite artists’ work, this is an absolute game changer.

It took the niche sound market of DVD-Audio and SACD and took the cost and “hard to find the disc for sale” out of it and plopped it on your lap for no. additional. cost.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Ho
Lee
Craaaaaaaap

So how do I listen to this in Spatial Audio?

I put my Airpods Pro in, click play (in HTF on iPhone) and there's no spatial audio. I toggle the Spatial Audio option on and off in Settings and nothing changes. It's just reverby stereo. Moving around, the audio location doesn't change.

Do I have to be a subscriber and use the Music app?

Does it work for non-subscribers through these web previews?

So. Confused. :confused:

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Do I have to be a subscriber and use the Music app?

Does it work for non-subscribers through these web previews?

So. Confused. :confused:

Yes to both. told ya bud it is 100% subscriber only.

and again if you have the old stereo recordings loaded on your phone you will need to re-download them as Atmos.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I’d get it if these shared embeds didn’t play at all for me. But they do play snippets for a non-subscriber.

I am confused by Apple’s opaque and confusing marketing approach to their Music service.

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member
I’d get it if these shared embeds didn’t play at all for me. But they do play snippets for a non-subscriber.

I am confused by Apple’s opaque and confusing marketing approach to their Music service.
As an Apple Music subscriber I always thought it was better than the other option. It has gotten that much better still. Who cares about the marketing? Chose the one that is best for you, you’ll be listening to music, not marketing

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
As an Apple Music subscriber I always thought it was better than the other option. It has gotten that much better still. Who cares about the marketing? Chose the one that is best for you, you’ll be listening to music, not marketing
Not sure what you mean. Choose the best one what?

I’m confused by the experience of Apple touting amazing new spatial audio, sharing demo clips, experiencing absolutely nothing impressive about the “spatial audio”.

Is it because spatial audio is a nothing burger? Or because Apple Music shared links don’t do the full thing? Or because they don’t provide spatial for non-subscribers in sample clips? <shrug>

I don’t subscribe to any music services. But I wanted to at least get a sense of what the big deal is. But Apple marketing apparently not interested in marketing the big deal.

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member
Right, I meant streaming service. That in and of itself is a big deal.

Try the whole thing for a month. I can't make recommendations based on special audio or Dolby Atmos or lossless audio -- that no doubt also produces different results based on your sound system. The streaming service itself being useful, at least to be tried out, is something I can vouch for.

I don't think that song clips are worth your time, which is no doubt a lot more valuable than the cost of subscribing for a month.

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member
Supposedly HBO fixed their app -- haven't looked at it, too busy enjoying the Hulu app finally with 5.1 sound. Recommended -- the best picture winner, Nomadland, season 4 of Veronica Mars, etc.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
The 14.7 update does not seem to be available for my model of this box. The update display for the box says the thing is up to date with 14.6.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
The 14.7 update does not seem to be available for my model of this box. The update display for the box says the thing is up to date with 14.6.

tvOS 14.7 is in public beta at this time and hasn't seen a general release yet, so to get it you have to enable beta updates on your ATV4K:

System -> Software Updates -> Get Beta Updates (On)

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Good mea culpa by HBO Max. If you haven't updated your app, do so. It does restore the functionality of Apple's native player.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Good mea culpa by HBO Max. If you haven't updated your app, do so. It does restore the functionality of Apple's native player.
There are still problems and the functionality of Apple's native player isn't completely there yet.

I installed on one of my first generation ATV4K units the following tvOS 14.7 (18M5533c)

It still doesn't allowed the swipe down nor does it indicate whether it's in 4K or not along with no DV or HDR. I can go forward and backwards as well as turn on subtitles, but that's about it.

IMO, it's still screwed up!

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
There are still problems and the functionality of Apple's native player isn't completely there yet.

I installed on one of my first generation ATV4K units the following tvOS 14.7 (18M5533c)

It still doesn't allowed the swipe down nor does it indicate whether it's in 4K or not along with no DV or HDR. I can go forward and backwards as well as turn on subtitles, but that's about it.

IMO, it's still screwed up!
Okay, this HBO Max app on ATV4K unit is a hot mess! The Dolby Vision light finally came on my LG OLED when playing Conjuring 3 and Synder's Justice League. However, I'm now having loading issues with different movies including that Angelina Jolie movie. The little wheel or whatever you call it, keeps spinning around which I know some others had issues with as the movie never loads into playback mode. This issue seems to be specific to 4K movies as movies in HD don't have any playback issues. As I have the same intermittent playback issue with Conjuring 3 and Justice League.

The swipe down does work for subtitles and audio. It still doesn't work to indicate what video format is playing except for my OLED light coming on for Dolby Vision.

Anyhow, I'm done messing with this today as I don't plan on wasting any more time on it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks