Apple TV 4K official

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
So I'm starting to get tempted by an Apple TV 4K, because my Samsung KS8000's UI for apps is...unawesome. But I have a 3rd gen AppleTV that I never use now, so I'm afraid I'll just be throwing good money after bad. I am not tempted to hook my ATV up to my Samsung because I would give up 4K HDR Netflix.

The other boggle is that the current ATV4K is a couple of years old. I'm one of those who doesn't like to buy something, if an upgrade is just a few months away...first world problems.

4K and HDR are important in whatever I buy to supplement my Samsung TV's apps. My Sony 900F TV has a pretty decent UI and apps, so that's where I watch my 4K streaming mostly.

EDIT, found the rumor that has me hesitating, from...fittingly...Macrumors!

Really do hope that there is a new remote. I'm not a fan of the one that came with my 3rd gen, and the current one isn't much better.
SInce your Samsung doesn't support Dolby Vision, you may want to consider a less expensive 4K streaming solution, such as the Roku Premiere 4K. I picked up one recently on sale for about $30, including the proper 4K HDMI cable.

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member
Prime started having trouble remembering where I am in a series recently, but otherwise it's working.

I haven't tried any 4K recently. I'll have to give it a look.
Prime has always been a mess especially in having separate 4K vs not 4K versions of the same show

Carlo Medina

Senior HTF Member
SInce your Samsung doesn't support Dolby Vision, you may want to consider a less expensive 4K streaming solution, such as the Roku Premiere 4K. I picked up one recently on sale for about $30, including the proper 4K HDMI cable.
Sage advice, Scott. I just like to "future proof" things a little, and I can see myself replacing that set with one that does support DV in 2-3 years time. So my goal is to hold out a little longer for a new ATV 4K (hopefully by holiday season if some of the rumor sites have it right) and then in a couple of years attach it to a new TV.

And don't get me wrong, while the Sony 900F's apps/ecosystem is better than the Samsung, it's by no means "excellent". If I loved the ATV interface and snappiness (my friend has one and it's so much more fluid and responsive than my Sony, and also doesn't tend to have apps hang if the TV shuts down with it on, like the Sony does), I could see me moving the ATV back and forth between the 2 sets depending on which room I'm watching in.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Anyone else experiencing a broken Amazon Prime app on AppleTV box? I have two AppleTV 4K boxes and both are at the same firmware level. However one has Prime Video app with the old interface which works fine and one has a newer interface, and will no longer stream shows or movies in 4K or HDR.
Prime started going to a black screeen, no UI. Had to restart the aTV but that fixed it.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Hope they fix these issues quickly. Doesn't exactly give potential customers a lot of confidence to spend the $$$ over Roku or something else perhaps...

_Man_

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Since Apple silently updated the iMac yesterday, I’m holding out hope for a new ATV soon! :emoji_pray:
You mean there's an updated iMac model w/ new, significantly improved hardware now?

Seems unlikely that a significantly updated, new ATV4K would come out silently given how they treat most other iOS devices. I can see them being more quiet about updates to their computers though, especially the lower end models...

_Man_

Carlo Medina

Senior HTF Member
You mean there's an updated iMac model w/ new, significantly improved hardware now?

Seems unlikely that a significantly updated, new ATV4K would come out silently given how they treat most other iOS devices. I can see them being more quiet about updates to their computers though, especially the lower end models...

_Man_
There is a new iMac updated as of yesterday (I put a post in this subforum about it). "Significantly improved" can be debated. They are now using the 10th gen Intel CPU, which goes up to 10 cores. They also for the 27" has a new glass technology (as an upgrade option) which makes for a matte/glare reduced look. It's not the Apple-silicon upgrade we're all waiting for, which is why they stealth updated it vs. announcing.

I'm not looking for a revolutionary ATV update. But the ATV4K is using a A10X processor which is a few generations old (debuted June 2017) so given how newer CODECs will likely tax CPUs more, going up to a newer A12X or more recent CPU would be appreciated.

Plus I'm hoping that they make a new remote. I know recently they have been including ATV in their Sept. event, so I'm going to wait until that event before making any purchasing decisions.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Supporter
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Regarding Prime, my ATV 4Ks seem to be functioning fine and I'm getting HDR on S3 of Mrs. Maisel.

Reactions: Osato

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
How reliable is AppleTrack?

_Man_

Reactions: Osato

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
How reliable is AppleTrack?

_Man_
they tell you in the first sentence :D

The rumor: The sixth-generation Apple TV originally set to debut later this year may not make the cut after all, according to Mark Gurman (86.7% accurate).

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
That is literally what that site tells you.
But how reliable is what they tell me? :P

I mean... how do I know it's not just another rumor on the net? It telling me it's (however) reliable is kinda like somebody saying to trust them simply because they said so. :P

IF, for instance, you and Sam and a couple others here would vouch for their track record and find that particular rumor very believable (and let me know so), then that lends some more credence from my POV... because I have some familiarity w/ you guys (that I don't w/ Apple Track, et al) as people who follow such rumors/news (and would/could maybe also answer and/or clear up a couple questions)...

Anyhoo, no big deal either way since I'm not actually in some big hurry to buy another streaming device yet...

_Man_

Last edited:

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Real Name
Sam Posten
But how reliable is what they tell me? :P

I mean... how do I know it's not just another rumor on the net? It telling me it's (however) reliable is kinda like somebody saying to trust them simply because they said so. :P

IF, for instance, you and Sam and a couple others here would vouch for their track record and find that particular rumor very believable (and let me know so), then that lends some more credence from my POV... because I have some familiarity w/ you guys (that I don't w/ Apple Track, et al) as people who follow such rumors/news (and would/could maybe also answer and/or clear up a couple questions)...

Anyhoo, no big deal either way since I'm not actually in some big hurry to buy another streaming device yet...

_Man_
dude look at the site. It rates rumor accuracy.
Mark Gurman is the best in the business. He has slipped a bit in last 12 months moving to Bloomberg because some of his sources don’t want to leak to mainstream news sources.
John Prosser is also very reliable.

Prosser and gurman have real sources. 90% of everyone else is regurgitation and speculation

• Appreciate
Reactions: ManW_TheUncool

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PhishHead00