What's new

Apple TV 4K official (1 Viewer)

John*Wells

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I have the version of Apple TV Hardware prior to 4 K. Would I be better off not buying the Hardware when I upgrade to 4K TV and just getting the Apple TV App from Roku?Or should I buy the actual Hardware ?

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I have the version of Apple TV Hardware prior to 4 K. Would I be better off not buying the Hardware when I upgrade to 4K TV and just getting the Apple TV App from Roku?Or should I buy the actual Hardware ?
Roku doesn't support Dolby Vision, if that's important to you. I have one Apple TV 4K -- installed in the main home theater in our family room -- and Roku devices attached to the other four displays in our home, plus one in the main home theater (I had it already before getting the ATV4K). Having the Apple TV app available for the Roku has been great, as I already had those devices for the other displays -- and they are a lot less expensive than an ATV4K. However, when I stream just about anything other than NHL.tv or Amazon Prime in the main home theater, I use the ATV4K, and not the Roku Ultra that's installed there.

One other thing to consider, if you are a Comcast customer. They have an Xfinity app available for Roku which allows you to use that device as a cable convertor, thereby saving you the monthly equipment rental fee (that's why we have Roku's attached to all our displays). There is no such app available for the ATV4k.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
If you had a Gen3 ATV, it would be a slam dunk to get the 4K, but a Gen4 is a little less obvious. With all the crap going on, is there a new one coming? Or, will the current one drop more in price? I just know the 4K is awesome. I have two of them.

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member
I am absolutely a fan of the AppleTV 4K hardware, but I have not had the opportunity to test out vs the Roku.

I will say that the AppleTV 4K is clearly superior to the software on my LG OLED HDR 4K TV

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I am absolutely a fan of the AppleTV 4K hardware, but I have not had the opportunity to test out vs the Roku.

I use both types of devices quite a bit, and when I purchased the ATV4k a couple of years ago it was clearly a better device than the Roku Ultra I also owned. However, that was primarily because (1) iTunes content could only be viewed on an Apple device, and (2) the Roku Ultra had very buggy code, and Roku's quality control on software upgrades was non-existent -- a new version would fix one thing and break something else. That instability was the primary reason I acquired the ATV4K then, and I used credits on Amazon to get it for no out of pocket cost.

Fast forward to today, and the Roku has been a stable platform for quite awhile, and iTunes content can now be played on the device via the ATV app. That app was clunky when it was first introduced, but it's improved quite a bit.

So, for me today, the ATV 4K only offers two advantages over a Roku Premiere 4K: (1) Dolby Vision support, and (2) a Smugmug app (for some reason, none is available for Roku). While I do use the Apple device over the Roku most of the time on the one system where I have both installed, I am not sure it's worth five times the cost of a Roku Premiere 4K. I certainly have no desire to upgrade the Roku units on our other displays (one is a 4K Samsung, and the other three are 1080p displays) at the price Apple is charging for their product.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Who knows what’s happening with the AppleTV? There are rumors of new hardware coming. But now, it’s really unknowable if there’s a new device appearing next week or delayed until next year?

I’ve got two HD AppleTVs (gen 4) and use them all the time. I’ve also got an Nvidia Shield, a Roku Stick 4K and a 2019 LG TV.

For anyone even mildly budget conscious, I’d recommend the Roku: $50 vs $180?.

And for the moment, I think the LG TV app system is easier to use than the AppleTV (to my compete surprise). And it is much better at HTPC apps than AppleTV (which is super niche).

But I like the AppleTVs speed.

But as noted by others, the AppleTV has some features not found in cheaper devices. Additionally, Roku has ads on the user interface, while the aTV does not.

My perception is colored by only using HD, no 4K, and my LG smartTV is In the bedroom, not in the living room or theater where I’d care more about absolute quality.
But if $200 vs $50 doesn’t matter and you want the best streaming box and you don’t do HTPC, AppleTV seems like the best choice.

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member
So, for me today, the ATV 4K only offers two advantages over a Roku Premiere 4K: (1) Dolby Vision support, and (2) a Smugmug app (for some reason, none is available for Roku).
I am sure there are multiple such apps, just depends on which one is important for which user. In my case the app is Infuse, which by itself would make the AppleTV vital.

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Question about AppleTV -- is there a simple cheap remote I can use to replace the Mini Siri remote?
A remote that works more like a Bluray or TV remote with buttons that work consistently instead of the Swipe method

I absolutely hate (what's worse than hate?) the Siri Remote interface. Stop/Start, search, FF/Rewind-Reverse are just painful to maneuver.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Any programmable universal remote will work. I use a Harmony Elite and a URC MX780 to control my two AppleTV's. You can also use the iPhone app, which works really well.

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Trying to avoid the Programmable Remote options can cost more than the ATV4K. I really don't want to do a phone esp since I don't have an Iphone. I'm seeing some Android version, but none that seem to be well rated.

Looking closer to $20-40 version that stays next to the TV -- real buttons, batteries that last months without changing and I wouldn;t feel bad if it got thrown against the wall during a bad football game (or dog chewed or lost) or spilled on during a good football game.

The Salt TV remote that a Swiss company just released looks to be a winner except I haven't found a way to get it here yet without paying Ebay's 500% markup or waiting 6 months.
https://fiber.salt.ch/en/fiber/equipment/remote-control

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member
Ironic because I do use Harmony for everything *BUT* the Apple TV 4k -- I absolutely love the remote, and hate all the standard too-many-buttons remotes for the other devices.
You say you have no iPhone -- how about an iPod Touch, an iPad or an old iPhone sitting around somewhere (it can be turned in an iPod Touch). Any of those can be used, and not just with aTV remote software but also to old generic Remote app which I still regularly use for iTunes, but works for the AppleTV as well.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Trying to avoid the Programmable Remote options can cost more than the ATV4K. I really don't want to do a phone esp since I don't have an Iphone. I'm seeing some Android version, but none that seem to be well rated.

Looking closer to $20-40 version that stays next to the TV -- real buttons, batteries that last months without changing and I wouldn;t feel bad if it got thrown against the wall during a bad football game (or dog chewed or lost) or spilled on during a good football game.

The Salt TV remote that a Swiss company just released looks to be a winner except I haven't found a way to get it here yet without paying Ebay's 500% markup or waiting 6 months.
https://fiber.salt.ch/en/fiber/equipment/remote-control
I use a Harmony 650 universal remote to control my entire home theater, including an ATV4K. You should be able to find one, or the newer 655, for $40 or so.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I'd also wonder how
Trying to avoid the Programmable Remote options can cost more than the ATV4K
Also, how are you controlling the rest of your system? TV, Receiver, blu-ray, etc.? Now might be a great time to improve your home tech with a universal remote to corral all that. :) Or, often TV or Receiver remotes are (limited) universal remotes and can control other devices, so you might already have a remote that can be programmed to control the AppleTV.

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
No Iphones of any ilk. I do have an Ipad Mini (v2 I think) I basically got for free somewhere signing up for a required Education program I took 6-8 years ago, but entirely too big to use with one hand. That and the ATV are the only Apple Devices I own

Most of my HT and other equip I actually control with the remotes they came with. Only a couple of the remotes really get much use and the rest just sit an arms length away for easy access
The lesser 650/655/665 I might have to look at or one of the general Replacement Remotes

The 665 appears to have raised tactile buttons which is nice and looks to be a good size for holding in the hand

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member
I do have an Ipad Mini (v2 I think) I basically got for free somewhere signing up for a required Education program I took 6-8 years ago, but entirely too big to use with one hand.
That iPad would run the Apple Remote software. Too big? It could be used one handed on the coach next to you, on your leg, etc. I actually use my 10.5" iPad Pro as a Harmony remote - I only use my iPhone if the iPad isn't there.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
No Iphones of any ilk. I do have an Ipad Mini (v2 I think) I basically got for free somewhere signing up for a required Education program I took 6-8 years ago, but entirely too big to use with one hand. That and the ATV are the only Apple Devices I own

Most of my HT and other equip I actually control with the remotes they came with. Only a couple of the remotes really get much use and the rest just sit an arms length away for easy access
The lesser 650/655/665 I might have to look at or one of the general Replacement Remotes

The 665 appears to have raised tactile buttons which is nice and looks to be a good size for holding in the hand
I have been using universal remotes for many, many years -- one of my first was a Marantz RC2000, which was quite big and heavy. I just hate doing the "remote control shuffle" with a coffee table full of remotes.

The Harmony 665 is one of the best "bang for your buck" items you can get for your home theater. I use the older model 650 to control my entire home theater -- including a Denon AVR, Vizio 4K display, Comcast Xfinity cable convertor, Panasonic UHD player, Sony UHD player, Oppo DVD player, Apple TV 4K and Roku Ultra. The OEM remotes are packed away with their batteries removed. My system is much easier to use with the Harmony -- my completely non-technical parents figured it out by themselves after I bought my first Harmony remote and they were staying with us many years ago. I came home from work and saw my dad was watching TV. I said something like "I see you figured out how to turn everything on with the new remote" and his reply was something along the lines of "any idiot could figure it out -- I just pressed the button labeled Watch TV".

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
I've reviewed a few Atmos soundbards for HTF. Some of them costing $2k and up. Meh. I wouldn't get your hopes too pinned on it.

Essentially they are soundbars that can accept Atmos tracks. They aren't soundbars that accurately measure up to bounce Atmos speakers and are in no way comparable to full discrete overheads.

Cranston37+

🇺🇸
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick
I've reviewed a few Atmos soundbards for HTF. Some of them costing $2k and up. Meh. I wouldn't get your hopes too pinned on it.

Essentially they are soundbars that can accept Atmos tracks. They aren't soundbars that accurately measure up to bounce Atmos speakers and are in no way comparable to full discrete overheads.

My expectations for what they can do are measured. I want one for a bedroom so I don't want to do full speakers. I'll try the Beam and the Arc and see if the Arc is worth the extra $$$.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks