JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
My Yamaha 3060 receiver showed Dolby TrueHD if I turned my receiver's ability to process Dolby Atmos off.

• Unlike iTunes, Dolby Atmos titles on Vudu are not showing Dolby TrueHD if you turn off processing for Dolby Atmos. It shows Dolby Digital+.
Thanks Robert. That's really all the info I was hoping to get. This discussion is about what Atmos formats are available where with the ATV 4K. Just simple facts. There has been no discussion about who can hear a difference and what systems produce an audible difference.

When I get a chance, I'll double check this with the current OS13 and the Movies app, but I suspect it's still the same. Most of what I buy through iTunes is movies that are only available on DVD elsewhere, so most of what I buy is HD only and no Atmos, but I do have two with Atmos, and I figure Midsommar is the best one to check, since it's a new movie.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Sorry Dave, the sarcasm came out as spite, not intended.

You're asking for a feature that their box can't make significant use of due to storage limitations, that -primarily- benefits pirates with minor benefit to greybeards who still think there is a significant benefit to ripping their own very large media and one that's antithetical to their streaming business.

You might as well wish they'd actually support physical media. That's as big an ask as what you are looking for, And one that would benefit significantly more users. If they did that you'd get your TrueHD processing essentially for free... =)

The bottom line is Lossy Atmos is fine for streaming. If you want full tilt boogie Atmos, stick to disks.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
A guy can wish. If the aTV did this, it would be really close to The One Box To Rule Them All. It has some other quirks with video playback— it can’t handle MPEG2 natively in my experience.

So I’ve got a Shield for best-quality movie watching and the aTV for streaming services in the theater.

Shield has its quirks too. (Wide Color Gamut has been an issue, I think I’ve read.)

That’s the meta-frustration: no vendor has a universal streaming box product.

Last edited:

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Different topic: what’s the deal with aTV frame rate matching and/or smoothing?

Black Mirror on Netflix is 25 FPS, I’m given to understand. With frame-rate sync off (interpolation on?), it looks terrible: herky jerky non stop. Refresh rate sync on, all good, looks right.

I tend to prefer native frame rate with hardware sync, so I’m happy now that I’ve got it sorted.

But I thought I’d read the aTV was aces at frame-rate interpolation / motion smoothing (e.g. output all content at fixed 60 Hz to avoid display sync changes) and my HD unit is obviously not good at this. Is that something specific to the 4K model? Or a Netflix app weirdness?

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Different topic: what’s the deal with aTV frame rate matching and/or smoothing?

Black Mirror on Netflix is 25 FPS, I’m given to understand. With frame-rate sync off (interpolation on?), it looks terrible: herky jerky non stop. Refresh rate sync on, all good, looks right.

I tend to prefer native frame rate with hardware sync, so I’m happy now that I’ve got it sorted.

But I thought I’d read the aTV was aces at frame-rate interpolation / motion smoothing (e.g. output all content at fixed 60 Hz to avoid display sync changes) and my HD unit is obviously not good at this. Is that something specific to the 4K model? Or a Netflix app weirdness?
Dave, what are you asking? Are you saying it looks good with "Match Frame Rate" enabled, but bad when it's disabled?

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Dave, what are you asking? Are you saying it looks good with "Match Frame Rate" enabled, but bad when it's disabled?
Yes.

I’d read that aTV interpolation was really good. Is that specific to the 4k model? Or maybe I misremember, and that’s not so.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Do you have a way of determining what frame rate it’s putting out with the two settings? I know the Marantz app shows it.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
The 4K box (which I have, but is used for HD) does all of that great. And the Infuse app does MPEG2 just fine.

That’s what’s frustrating about iOS but mostly solved by Infuse. The actual hardware in the box is capable of so much more than what the iOS restricts it to, and Infuse works around that and it’s almost the equivalent of jailbreaking a phone back in the day, and all of a sudden, the AppleTV box is extraordinary.

I would bet that it’s technically capable of doing perfect Atmos it only someone would figure out what code to write to make it happen.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Ok. Maybe the 4K is better at it than the HD. I’m half remembering an argument about frame rate sync back in 2017, before aTV could do it.

It might be specific to non-US frame rates like 25fps. I’ve had my AppleTV set to interpolate for a while without issue, for lots of Netflix and Prime and Hulu TV and some movies. But Black Mirror doesn’t play right without hardware sync matching.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I know that my 4K box does that match frame rate beautifully - it gets used for a lot of Great British Bake-off!

What was cool for me on getting the frame rates right was showing that off to my wife and our friends, who had gotten used to UK programming having that PAL to NTSC conversion built in and thought that was simply how their TV looked. It was semi-mind blowing to show them BBC material like Doctor Who looking normal!

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member
I know that my 4K box does that match frame rate beautifully - it gets used for a lot of Great British Bake-off!

What was cool for me on getting the frame rates right was showing that off to my wife and our friends, who had gotten used to UK programming having that PAL to NTSC conversion built in and thought that was simply how their TV looked. It was semi-mind blowing to show them BBC material like Doctor Who looking normal!
Yes, in fact the majority of the DVDs from my collection that I bothered copying to my Mac are PAL, so I depend on Infuse/aTV 4K to make them look properly on my LG OLED 4K HDR tv - and I am very happy with the results

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
For Dolby Atmos fans - now officially supported by Infuse: https://firecore.com/blog/24493

Infuse doesn't support Emby. (yeah, I'm a weirdo and don't use Plex ;) )

Emby support has been announced as an upcoming feature for Infuse!

I'm intrigued and looking forward to checking this out in the future. I'll be following along via the Emby forum. :)

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
How do you guys feel about Apple buying Disney and DirecTV? I seriously doubt it happens, but you never know in today's corporate world.

https://hometheaterreview.com/if-apple-is-buying-disney-they-should-pop-for-directv-too/
Well, that's one way for Apple to finally get 4K transfers of Disney products in iTunes. ;)

I am no fan of Di$ney as a company, but a combined Apple + Disney conglomerate wouldn't be good for home entertainment, IMO. There needs to be more competition -- not less.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Well, that's one way for Apple to finally get 4K transfers of Disney products in iTunes. ;)

I am no fan of Di$ney as a company, but a combined Apple + Disney conglomerate wouldn't be good for home entertainment, IMO. There needs to be more competition -- not less.
Yes, absolutely. Take two of the greediest companies and let them merge, prices will go up.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
After Apple buys directv, they can buy Verizon to get all its AOL dial-up customers! Imagine what an AppleTV would look like to replace those clunky modems!

that article made no sense to me.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks