1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Apple TV 4K official

Discussion in 'Apple' started by Sam Posten, Sep 12, 2017.

1. Sam Posten

Sam Posten Moderator

Sam Posten
    Don't let facts get in the way of the cult of harmony shouting you guys down tho.

2. JohnRice

JohnRice Executive Producer

John
    He's a weird thing that happened. After updating to OS 13, the Hulu app on the ATV 4K that's connected to a 4K TV updated to a new version, that has a black icon. The other one, that's connected to a 1080 TV is still green. I haven't double checked the versions on them, but both ATVs say they're up to date.

Just curious why that would happen.

3. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    That is weird as the third ATV4K in my household is connected to a 1080p TV and it has the same black icon with green letters as my other two ATV4K units connected to my OLEDs.

4. Robert Crawford

Robert
    Update: I just verified that two of my ATV4K units are still on 12.4.1 software. The only ATV4K unit I have on 13.0 is my Beta unit down in my main HT setup.

5. JohnRice

John
    I have Apps on both units set to update automatically, and both say the OS is up to date. So... no idea what the deal is.

On a side note, last week I upgraded by internet from 75Mb/s to 500 Mb/s, with a 25% reduction in cost, and my streaming has never been so good. No surprise. Last year we passed municipal fiber optic internet, which will still take a couple years to fully implement the infrastructure, but competition is a good thing. I wonder how many cities will do the same.

Tino likes this.
  6. Robert Crawford

Robert
    Okay, I just updated my firmware to 13.0 on those two ATV4K units and I still have the black with green lettering Hulu icon even on my 1080p Samsung.

7. TonyD

TonyD Who do we think I am?
    Supporter

Tony D.
    My xfinity WiFi just sent me an email that they have upgraded me from 150 to 200.
    Which seems random to do and interesting that they even did that.

Also my atv4K on my HD v has a black Hulu logo fwiw.

8. TonyD

Supporter

Tony D.
    Btw my WiFi never seems to go higher then 179 using the Speedtest app on Atv

9. Wayne_j

Wayne_j Cinematographer

Wayne
    I also like the Apple TV remote. I usually use it instead of my harmony to control the Apple TV. It also has a handy volume control that controls the receiver.

Sam Posten likes this.
  10. Robert Crawford

Robert
    I just updated my Beta ATV4K unit to 13.2 today.

11. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer

I received the same message today, but oddly it came as a text, not an email. I do not remember giving Comcast my mobile number.

12. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

Dave
    Gigabyte data cap or Mbps speed?

13. TonyD

Supporter

Tony D.
    Speed.

14. JohnRice

John
    A few random thoughts on recent topics here.

The Hulu app on the ATV4K in my HT had updated to the latest version, black with green text. I don't know why that didn't happen until several days after the other one.

Comcast sometimes increases the speed you get, and they don't always even tell you.

As far as I know, all Comcast residential internet (all speed levels) has a monthly data cap of 1TB. They give you two "courtesy" months to go over that, but then they really hit you with fees. $10 for every 50GB, so a second TB would cost $200. I suspect there are households, especially if they have a lot of children and everybody is streaming stuff all the time, who would go over 1TB frequently. I've never come close, averaging about 200GB. I wonder if there's any way for them to prevent you from having two accounts, with different email addresses, but at the same physical address.

The comments about WiFi speed made me curious. My router is the last Extreme Apple made and it's fairly central to the house. Anything that can easily be wired, is. I tested the speed using my iPad at various spots. In the room adjacent to the router I got 400-Mb/s (my service is 500Mb/s and routinely provides 550-560Mb/s) and in my office, which is as far away as I can get (though everything in there is wired) I get about 50Mb/s. I have two ATVs on WiFi and those two rooms get about 200 and 70. None of that should be any kind of problem. I didn't think my old router was capable of 400Mb/s.

15. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer

You would need two different Comcast services, with two routers, for this to work. My Comcast account is not tied to an email address -- I have an actual account number that is tied to my physical address and cable entrance.

I did go over my 1TB monthly limit once -- when I switched my online data backup service from Crash Plan to Backblaze (the former was moving to a corporate-only model). I have about 1.4TB of data to backup, and didn't even think of the implications of my data cap with Comcast since my normal monthly usage is in 250GB - 350GB range. When I originally started using Crash Plan, Comcast had no data cap. I may have to reconsider my backup strategy eventually -- if I ever have to do a full restore from the service, I would go over my cap again unless I do the restore over several months (most of the data is photographs, so I could do a staged restore without impacting my daily life too much). I also do local backups, so Backblaze is just my redundant offsite backup. Therefore, the chances I will need to do a full restore from Backblaze are small, but anything can happen (which is why I have the service in the first place).

16. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

Dave
    What I've seen around D.C. is that there's some competition in a big market, so the with the rollout of gigabit, lower speed tiers are being de-emphasized and even phased out. This brings free upgrades from say 25 to 50 Mbps. You might be seeing something in that vein.

17. TonyD

Supporter

Tony D.
    Yeah what John said a couple posts back.
    Spemtimes they just do this.
    In the same house a had the same WiFi but a different plan.
    I think I was at 200 or 250 and without notice I had accidentAlly found that I was bumped to 300.