Apple TV 4K official

Robert Crawford

Real Name
Robert
I took the plunge this weekend and purchased an Apple TV 4K. I really need to get a handle on this remote. Looks good, but it is not very intuitive and I keep hitting the wrong button and getting out to the search page. All of the apps are soooo much quicker than on my TiVo, and easier to backup and go forward. I'm using the Amazon Prime app, the Vudu app, and I've loaded up and subscribed to Vue as a replacement for cable, since I have no cable option at my new home.

Any advice, tips and tricks for this newbie?
Just remember you have some voice command capability with this remote.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
I took the plunge this weekend and purchased an Apple TV 4K. I really need to get a handle on this remote. Looks good, but it is not very intuitive and I keep hitting the wrong button and getting out to the search page. All of the apps are soooo much quicker than on my TiVo, and easier to backup and go forward. I'm using the Amazon Prime app, the Vudu app, and I've loaded up and subscribed to Vue as a replacement for cable, since I have no cable option at my new home.

I prefer using the iphone remote for the ATV. For me, it’s much better than the remote that comes with the ATV.

Scott Merryfield

Film Editor
Senior HTF Member

The Apple TV also works with Harmony universal remotes, so if you find the Apple remote cumbersome the Harmony is another option. Personally, I have never used the Apple remote -- it's stored with all my other OEM remote controls. The Apple TV works well with my Harmony 650 remote. I lose the voice capabilities Robert mentioned, but it's a fair trade-off for me, as I refuse to perform the remote shuffle via a coffee table full of remote controls.

Cranston37

Effects Supervisor
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick

Something that isn't obvious to a newbie - if you hit the menu button it takes you back one page, but if you hold it it takes you all the way back to the menu.

The TV button can be programmed to do a number of things in settings (mine takes me to the TV app.

To move or delete apps long press the click button.

To turn your TV off long press the TV button.

DaveF

Real Name
Dave
The aTV remote sucks. I use my Harmony remote or the iPhone app.

Download the various apps for channels you enjoy in your cable subscription and connect to them (e.g. FX, SyFy, CW). Good way to catch a show if you miss an episode from a DVR schedule error.

Check out the Trailers app. Great way to browse recent movie previews.

Mike Frezon

The aTV remote sucks. I use my Harmony remote

This. Even if I didn't like the Apple4kTV remote, I STILL want just one remote to rule them all.

Check out the Trailers app. Great way to browse recent movie previews.
As soon as I'm finished watching Shirley Temple's Heidi on the TCM app, Dave...that just what I'm going to do! I need to learn about other available apps. I'm woefully ignorant. I have this incredibly awesome device and know VERY LITTLE about its capabilities. I've been using it mostly to stream baseball games via the MLB app. Probably the only other apps I've used are YouTube and TCM. Also, Amazon Prime (but only to watch Mrs. Maisel). I'd love to hear other recommendations for apps.

Mike Frezon

Is it "iTunes Movie Trailers," Dave?

Or the $0.99 Trailers - Movies and TV Shows app (connected to TMDB)?

EDIT: Or the $0.99 Movie Trailers app (which you can use with Trakt)?

JohnRice

Film Editor
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Well, I like the 4K remote. I have two remotes in the rooms, a Harmony and the 4K. With older ATVs, I always used the Harmony only.

Reactions: dpippel

Josh Steinberg

Film Editor
Reviewer
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I like the aTV remote because it’s the only remote that actually came with any of my devices that doesn’t require a line of sight to work. For everything else I have, a third party device is required to achieve that result.

Reactions: Tino and Sam Posten

Ted Todorov

Cinematographer
Senior HTF Member
This is an objectively wrong opinion. :) You may like it. But it’s a badly designed device, not meant for humans and their human hands.
I am absolutely on Sam's side here: the aTV remote is the *only* remote I use other than the Harmony (Logitech) universal remote iPad/iPhone app.

My favorite aTV remote feature is the ability to slide back and forth over a video to get to a specific spot - it works with anything, but I especially use it with the Infuse aTV app.

JohnRice

Film Editor
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
OK, so my take on the 4K remote, FWIW. I assumed it would go back in the white box, just like every previous aTV remote I'd ever owned did. Then I discovered it wasn't IR. Then I discovered it does things my Harmony can't. It did take some getting used to, because it's just different from other remotes. BUT... once I got the hang of it, it's awesome. I rarely have to look at it. I just know the layout and navigate my way around stuff, and you don't have to aim it, which is great in my main HT (and why I have a Harmony Elite down there) because the gear is quite a way off to the side of the viewing area. I swore I would never use more than one remote ever again, but this little gadget changed my mind.

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tlkohler