What's new

Apple TV 4K official (6 Viewers)

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member
The screensavers were shot with drones and helicopters.

https://www.businessinsider.com/apple-tv-wallpapers-drones-helicopters-2015-11

More info (including downloadable captures of the screensavers):

https://appleinsider.com/articles/1...n-savers-featuring-china-dubai-greenland-more

Mark
Some of them are clearly shot from way higher than a helicopter is capable of - we are talking about satellites or the International Space Station.
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT208992

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Some of them are clearly shot from way higher than a helicopter is capable of - we are talking about satellites or the International Space Station.
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT208992
I know satellites are capable of great resolution, but these images are just to crystal clear for a satellite. Think of all the atmosphere the camera would have to look thru.

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member
I know satellites are capable of great resolution, but these images are just to crystal clear for a satellite. Think of all the atmosphere the camera would have to look thru.
I don’t think we are talking about the same images. You can’t see the curvature of the Earth from something lower than a satellite (or a balloon going up beyond the edge of the atmosphere). And there are a number of them where you see the curvature of the Earth

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
I don’t think we are talking about the same images. You can’t see the curvature of the Earth from something lower than a satellite (or a balloon going up beyond the edge of the atmosphere). And there are a number of them where you see the curvature of the Earth
I agree, different images. The ones going over London, Los Angeles, a beach, etc. Those must be taken using an aerial vehicle of some sort. The ones taken from the ISS are, of course, spectacular.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Ok, help me out on a basic question:

One of the key reasons I am afflicted with HTPC madness is the HD AppleTV only does 5.1.

If I upgrade to a 4K AppleTV (and connect to an HD projector), will Avengers Infinity War or Spider-Verse on Movies Anywhere app have the Atmos soundtrack?

Thanks. :)

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
I can't speak for Infinity War, since I only own it on disc, but Spider-Verse has Atmos audio in iTunes. Don't know about the MA app, but if a title is available in your MA account it's available to you in iTunes as well.

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
In the past several days there has been an update for the better to the iphone remote. There are some superficial layout changes, but that’s not the biggie. It used to be that when my phone went to sleep, I had to activate and open the phone, swipe down from the right corner, and select the Apple TV. Now when the phone goes to sleep, it wakes up the the tv remove. So much more convenient.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
I’m a little confused on this Atmos question on the Atv4K.
I’ve had mine since december and it’s had Atmos since at least then and I’m pretty sure it’s been talked about in this topic before.

I thought it was common knowledge.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
And it works with HD content? For Blu-Ray vs UHD, blu-ray doesn’t get Atmos. I have to do HTPC jiggery-pokery to merge the UHD audio track into the HD video file to get Atmos in 1080p. This is a big part of why I’ve got an HTPC, until I can go a 4K.

Does streaming on an aTV from iTunes or MA or whatever support Atmos if you’re outputting to an HD 1080p device instead of 4K?

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
If I can watch HD with Atmos on aTV 4K, I might upgrade my aTV sooner than later, decoupling that from my 4K upgrade.

And I realize, I can test this with my Shield and see how it behaves. aTV probably follows the same rules with Movies Anywhere, at least.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
And it works with HD content? For Blu-Ray vs UHD, blu-ray doesn’t get Atmos. I have to do HTPC jiggery-pokery to merge the UHD audio track into the HD video file to get Atmos in 1080p. This is a big part of why I’ve got an HTPC, until I can go a 4K.

Does streaming on an aTV from iTunes or MA or whatever support Atmos if you’re outputting to an HD 1080p device instead of 4K?
Dave,

I have several HD titles in my iTunes library that have Dolby Atmos.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Right. So I’m looking for the space in between. A lot of recent blu-rays don’t have Atmos; it’s reserved for UHD to try and force upgrades.

A recent example: you have to buy Spider-verse in UHD to get the Atmos track.
https://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Spider-Man-Into-the-Spider-Verse-Blu-ray/226978/

https://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Spider-Man-Into-the-Spider-Verse-4K-Blu-ray/222810/

There is no way to watch Spider-verse in a blu-ray HD system in Atmos (AFAIK) without HTPC shenanigans.

I’m wondering if streaming gets around this. Can I watch, for example, Spider-verse in Atmos on my HD-only system with iTunes or MoviesAnywhere?

Or does steaming follow the same rules as UHD: if I watch the HD stream it is restricted to the 7.1 mix, and I have to upgrade to a 4K display to watch the 4K stream to get its Atmos track?

It’s a weird situation I suppose, but I’m not ready for the $10,000 4K upgrade yet, but I’m exploring options for the near term until I can do a huge tech upgrade.

:)

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Maybe I’m not understanding the question regarding Spider-Man into the spider verse.

I added the digital version from the UHD disc into iTunes.
I can only watch it in HD on my tv but I still get the Atmos track.

You can buy it on iTunes and if you don’t have a 4K tv you will watch it in HD and also have the Atmos track.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks