1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Apple TV 4K official

Discussion in 'Apple' started by Sam Posten, Sep 12, 2017.

1. Ted Todorov

Ted Todorov Producer

Also absurd, but nothing new. You buy a bunch of DVDs in region 1, move to region 2 and they no longer work on your local DVD player. Same with Blu-rays, regions just have a different name.

And, just like there are various tricks for DVDs/Blu-rays to ignore the anti-customer system, so it is true with the iTunes version. Keep a credit card from your old region, indicate that you live there, and you can still download from the old region even if you are physically located elsewhere - Apple does not screw you when you are on vacation abroad, for instance.

Until the film/TV/music & book industries accept that their customers can travel and not be punished for it - these problems will continue, no matter what your media happens to be.

Josh Steinberg, Sam Posten and DaveF like this.
  2. Josh Steinberg

Josh Steinberg Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Josh Steinberg
    I'm not sure that there will ever be a solution for this that works 100% of the time, and I'm not necessarily sure that I think it's a matter of studios trying to "punish" their customers.

In a lot of instances, rights for films and books are controlled by different entities in different territories. As long as things continue to be handled in that way, there will be the occasional problem for people who move from one region to another. But I'm not sure what the alternative is. If someone were to somehow make it a requirement that all new projects had to be made in such a way that there was only one worldwide rights holder, the end result would probably be that multiple projects would have massive troubles securing financing, and projects just wouldn't be funded.

3. Ted Todorov

Ted Todorov Producer

There is a simple approach - keep all local purchases still local - as they are right now, but do not block in any way people from ordering, downloading existing purchases or streaming worldwide. In other words, most people will still shop within their own region, but some fraction will go cross region. (Which, BTW is the case right now, anyway - whether they like it or not, just more cumbersome to users).

Yes, I suspect that if prices are much cheaper in region X, too many people from region Y will buy remotely - which is what is panicking the industry. But in fact even more likely (and again is happening right now) is that people in the higher priced region will actually end up paying zero: either simply not buy the product at all, or pirate it. So, the current rigamarole will mostly inconvenience or anger the most fateful, best current customers, without really making much of a difference for the local bottom line.

To give you an example: thanks to Spotify/Apple Music streaming the music industry has suddenly returned to the golden age of the CD era. I'll grant you that Apple Music is not exactly the same as worldwide distribution but it is close enough. (Spotify much less so, as there are a ton of third world countries that are Apple Music only.) Simply the other industries (film/TV/Books/non-streaming music) will have to accept maximizing their profits by getting to be as worldwide as possible.

4. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

Dave
    Sorry, dumb question, but I need to doublecheck this: Atmos is only supported on the 4k aTV, right? My 4th gen HD devices don't get Atmos with the latest tvOS update?

It's getting harder and harder to keep track of all the xOS updates with so many devices.

Thanks.

5. JohnRice

JohnRice Executive Producer

John
    Pretty sure that’s the case, Dave.

DaveF likes this.
  6. dpippel

dpippel HTF Premium Member
    Supporter

Doug
    Having Dolby Vision problems with my ATV4K and Netflix, by which I mean I'm not getting DV to work. Watching Jessica Jones for example only gives me HDR, even though the program listing shows DV/ATMOS. ATMOS is working just fine. DV on the same title is working fine via the Netflix app on my 2016 LG OLED panel. DV is working just fine on both my UDP-203 and Panny DP-UB820 players when playing 4K UHD titles with DV. Both players and the ATV are connected to a brand new Yamaha RX-A2080 with the same brand of Premium Certified HDMI cables. One output cable from the Yamaha to the ARC HDMI input on the LG. Connecting the ATV directly to the same HDMI input on the LG, bypassing the receiver, gives the same result - no DV. ATV is running tvOS 12.1 and set up to output 4.2.2 chroma, 4K HDR, and Content Matching is turned off. All video processing on the receiver is disabled.

Does anyone have any ideas?

7. JohnRice

John
    As I recall, there’s some little weirdness with an option you need to set on the atv. I’m pretty sure it was recently discussed in this thread. No doubt Sam knows, but look back a bit here and I think you’ll find it.

dpippel likes this.
  8. dpippel

Supporter

Doug
    Thanks John. I found Sam's post, which suggests he had to set Content Matching to "Dynamic Range". I did this, rebooted the ATV, and still no joy. When I play an episode of Jessica Jones and look at the info display on my LG panel it's still showing as HDR, not Dolby Vision.

@Sam Posten, got any ideas?

9. JohnRice

John
    Grasping, but maybe the hdmi cable connected to the atv isn’t up to spec?

dpippel likes this.
  10. dpippel

Supporter

Doug
    All of my HDMI cables are Premium Certified from the same manufacturer (SPC), but I swapped it anyway when I tested the direct connection to the TV. No dice.

11. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    Doug,

I'll take a look and let you know with my Yamaha 3060 and ATV4K. It will probably be tomorrow morning as I'm done with my main HT for the day.

12. dpippel

Supporter

Doug
    Thanks Robert!

13. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

Dave
    Thanks. I don't want to waste time trying to test out features that don't exist on my Apple TV's :)

14. JohnRice

John
    DaveF likes this.
  15. Robert Crawford

Robert
    Doug,

I run my ATV4K unit through my Yamaha 3060. I have the ATV4K’s Video Format set to “4K HDR (24 Hz)” with the Match Dynamic Range set to “On” and Match Frame Rate set to “On”. I have the Yamaha 3060 Video Mode set to Direct. I played Jessica Jones Season 2, Iron Fist Season 2 and “Bright” starring Will Smith. All programs displayed Dolby Vision Picture Mode: Movie Bright on my LG OLED.

dpippel likes this.
  16. Sam Posten

Sam Posten Moderator

Sam Posten
    It's dumb, but do not 'enable' DV. Make sure dV is listed in the types of streams the ATV will accept tho. Match dynamic range and fps and you should be good to go. Are you getting DV on other devices?

dpippel likes this.
  17. dpippel

Supporter

Doug
    Thanks Sam. The trick is to have Content Matching set to "Range and Frame Rate". Got it working now.

Sam Posten likes this.
  18. dpippel

Supporter

Doug

That was it. Match Content MUST be set to "Range and Frame Rate" in order to enable DV playback. It's all good now. Thanks for the info Robert!!

Sam Posten likes this.
  19. Robert Crawford

Robert
    I'm just happy you got it to work correctly. After watching the first 20 minutes of "Bright", I have to finish watching the rest of the movie.:)

Sam Posten and dpippel like this.
  20. dpippel

Supporter

Doug
    Really? I've been avoiding that one. Maybe I should give it a chance. ;)