What's new

Apple TV 4 now with Dolby Atmos support (1 Viewer)

JQuintana

BANNED
Real Name
Me
A lot of times when you read “soundbar” they actually come with 2 rear speakers as well.

Vizio just today came out with a package for $500 that includes soundbar, 2 rears, and sub, all powered.

It’s obviously not even close to a real set-up but if room/budget necessitate a bar it’s still a very welcome upgrade.

https://www.engadget.com/2018/09/18/vizio-dolby-atmos-home-theater-available/

I see.

I was seeing things like this (no rears) that tout it as Atmos.

https://us.creative.com/soniccarrier/

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I just installed the update, and Ready Player One shows as Atmos on the LCD panel of my Denon receiver. I cannot see what the incoming signal is, though, as I cannot display the full signal input/output information because the on screen display doesn't work with my Denon X3300W when a Dolby Vision signal is passed through. I need to find something in my library with HDR10 and Atmos to see exactly what I am getting.
I found some titles in my library which are HD + Atmos, and those are showing "Atmos" as the audio input to my Denon. I have never seen that before with discs that have an Atmos soundtrack. Those show up as Dolby TrueHD since I do not have any height speakers configured. So, I cannot confirm if the signal being sent from the ATV4K is lossless or lossy.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I found some titles in my library which are HD + Atmos, and those are showing "Atmos" as the audio input to my Denon. I have never seen that before with discs that have an Atmos soundtrack. Those show up as Dolby TrueHD since I do not have any height speakers configured. So, I cannot confirm if the signal being sent from the ATV4K is lossless or lossy.
Scott,

That's correct as I have several HD titles with Dolby Atmos.

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
Apple is sending lossless audio? Wow, that's great! I wasn't that excited about Atmos, since I do not have height speakers installed. However, I assumed they would be sending Atmos over lossy Dolby Digital +, and not lossless True HD.

I am excited now. :dancing-banana-04:
I don’t believe there is such a thing as “lossy” Atmos. Isn’t Atmos just Atmos? I don’t think it comes in different flavors.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I don’t believe there is such a thing as “lossy” Atmos. Isn’t Atmos just Atmos? I don’t think it comes in different flavors.
Unlike iTunes, Dolby Atmos titles on Vudu are not showing Dolby TrueHD if you turn off processing for Dolby Atmos. It shows Dolby Digital+

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
Unlike iTunes, Dolby Atmos titles on Vudu are not showing Dolby TrueHD if you turn off processing for Dolby Atmos. It shows Dolby Digital+
Wow. I had no idea that Dolby had put out a dumbed-down version of Atmos. They should require a different name for it, like Atmos-enhanced or Atmos-lite. :)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Wow. I had no idea that Dolby had put out a dumbed-down version of Atmos. They should require a different name for it, like Atmos-enhanced or Atmos-lite. :)
TBH, I can't really distinguished any difference in audio quality between Vudu and iTunes with Dolby Atmos titles. I've tried, but, I'm sure there are those of us that can distinguish the differences between the two.

Last edited:

Hawkmoon

Auditioning
Real Name
Amy M Hockley
With the update you are forced to choose best available. However when you do that it no longer upconverts the stereo track that many network streaming use. It took my a couple of days but realized if I changed the processing default on my Denon receiver it will upconvert the stereo track and still change of the streaming source has a better audio track .. Dolby Atmos for instance. Anyone else have the same issue?

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
With the update you are forced to choose best available. However when you do that it no longer upconverts the stereo track that many network streaming use. It took my a couple of days but realized if I changed the processing default on my Denon receiver it will upconvert the stereo track and still change of the streaming source has a better audio track .. Dolby Atmos for instance. Anyone else have the same issue?
I'm not sure I understand what you're asking. By "Stereo" do you mean old style Dolby Surround, as in Pro Logic? I just use Dolby Surround (DPLII on older, non-Atmos receivers) and it matrixes the two channel surround. For instance, with Hulu, which is all two channel.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
There are still dozens of networks that only broadcast in 2.0 stereo including have a dozen sports channels

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
How is this possible in 2020?
Yeah, it seems strange considering almost everything they have is 5.1, but It's really not that big a deal to me. Hulu gives me an inexpensive way to watch shows from three different networks at my leisure. It's just not a huge deal to me if The Connors is two channel with Dolby decoding.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Yeah, it seems strange considering almost everything they have is 5.1, but It's really not that big a deal to me. Hulu gives me an inexpensive way to watch shows from three different networks at my leisure. It's just not a huge deal to me if The Connors is two channel with Dolby decoding.
The Handmaid’s Tale deserves better than 2.0. :) Fortunately, current Dolby processing does a good job of extracting surround sound from it.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
The Handmaid’s Tale deserves better than 2.0. :) Fortunately, current Dolby processing does a good job of extracting surround sound from it.
I agree. That’s why I bought the first two seasons. The third didn’t do as much for me, but I’ll probably get it on sale.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks