What's new

Apple TV 3.0 is a total yawner. (1 Viewer)

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
At $99, I start to get interested as a media interface for the bedroom TV. Especially since we just canceled our $10/mo basic cable plan. Curious what the apps will be.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Hmm:

http://www.therussiansusedapencil.com/post/1006628084/controlling-apple-tv

I think we've got a little but of Occam left to cover here. Y'know that 7" iPad that is rumored but doesn't make a BIT of sense? How awesome would a touch pad capable TV remote that's 7" (bigger than an iTouch, smaller than an iPad and cheap as shit cause it only has say 4gb of on board storage) be?

I'd buy THAT for $200.... =p

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Give me hardbuttons! :)

Listening to various Leo Laporte shows on TWIT the past week, he's going gonzo over how the iOS-powered AppleTV is going to change everything! But I can't figure out how. Everything I hear speculated already exists: TV and movie rentals from broadcast and Cable companies; music for purchase, etc. A refresh at a lower cost and improve UI would help, but it still comes down to content.

It gets interesting if it's an entire ecosystem overhaul: reduce AppleTV price to $99, introduce $0.99 TV rentals, significantly expand the library of shows and movies for rent, and also have the ability to play interesting and useful new iOS apps.

To me, $0.99 HD TV rentals through a $99 box has some real appeal. Currently, I can't watch Futurama (no cable), so I'm fighting with DivX, futzing with downloading them from some site, the legitimacy of which I'm pointedly not investigating, and watching in the office or connecting the laptop to the living room...it's not especially convenient. If I could watch current Futurama for $0.99 rentals, and get the benefits of an improved music player over in my bedroom, this becomes something I seriously consider. If I can also get other cheap shows that my wife and I say would be nice to watch...but not quite nice enough to pay for NetFlix or buy the DVD set...it becomes not a toy for me but a "household" purchase, like Tivo. :)

To me, the OS is irrelevant. Make it cheaper and the library bigger and it's a whole new thing.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I've been wondering about the $99 price: is it reasonable?

I'll assume a basic box and use prices from iSuppli.

http://www.isuppli.com/Teardowns-Manufacturing-and-Pricing/News/Pages/iPhone-4-Carries-Bill-of-Materials-of-187-51-According-to-iSuppli.aspx

Tallying up the iPhone 4 costs for most everything except phone, battery, and screen; that is adding up processor, 50% of RAM cost for an 8 GB kit, WiFi, case, misc packaging. This gets me about $65. (Just the "Applications Processor", RAM, and "Wifi/BT" gets me to $38). Assuming a 200% markup, it's $195 retail.

Now if it's only a 100% markup to retail, it's maybe $129.

So I don't see a $99 AppleTV coming out. But I'm just some schmoe slinging iSuppli numbers, and hope to be wrong :)

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Sounds like a done deal.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2010-08-31/apple-said-to-plan-netflix-streaming-service-on-tv-product-netflix-climbs.html

How will it work?

http://hans.gerwitz.com/2010/08/29/pointing-at-tv.html/

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Be been wondering how it work. Awful lot if pundits ignoring the challenges in repurposing touch ui for indirect 10 ft use.

My guess: standard apple remote. Maybe with spin wheel. No way to hit $99 price with touchpad remote.

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by DaveF

Be been wondering how it work. Awful lot if pundits ignoring the challenges in repurposing touch ui for indirect 10 ft use.

My guess: standard apple remote. Maybe with spin wheel. No way to hit $99 price with touchpad remote.

Via software remote for the existing 100 million iOS devices.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave

It may be an option, but it won't be required. And it still doesn't answer how they'll bolt on a mouse cursor to the direct-touch iOS.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
RF? Not IR? Wasn't high on my priority list, but I definitely won't be buying an AppleTV if it's not Harmony One compatible.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks