What's new

Apple tries to block HTC imports to the US (1 Viewer)

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
http://androidandme.com/2011/07/news/apple-strikes-again-tries-to-block-htc-imports-to-the-u-s/
I despise this sort of thing. It's NEVER a good sign for a company when it tries to use governmental power against a competitor instead of focusing on its OWN efforts. Hire more engineers, not more lawyers, you idiots!

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
I completely agree, but I'm reminded of two things:
-Apple didn't start this and have only recently had to start grinding up these lawsuits as a protective measure
-At the original iPhone launch Apple was VERY clear just how many patents they had built up for the technology underlying it, and they were even more clear that they were going to not shy away from using them.

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
Patents seem to be used as a means of enforcing monopoly privilege and/or using coercion to make money instead of earning it, rather than "protecting" someone. Most of the positive aspects of patents can be gained through trade secrets and licensing agreements, while avoiding many of the negative ones (such as inhibiting innovation from competitors). I'd be just as upset if HTC or Motorola was trying such nonsense against Apple. I'm astounded that Amazon patented the "idea" of one click buying!

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Originally Posted by RobertR
Patents seem to be used as a means of enforcing monopoly privilege
Well, yes, per the Constitution
"To promote the Progress of Science and useful Arts, by securing for limited Times to Authors and Inventors the exclusive Right to their respective Writings and Discoveries"

And the creation and enforcement of patents is what you get from hiring more engineers.

The problem, IMO, is what's allowed to be patented and enforced, and not patents per se.

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
I realize it's in the constitution, but on balance, I think patents do more harm than good. As I said, trade secrets and licensing agreements could achieve most of the benefits without the drawbacks. People (politicians, especially, who are often the targets of affected companies) often lose sight of the fact that it isn't about "guaranteeing" success for a given company, but the benefit that an idea brings to society generally. I have to laugh every time I hear a company pleading for some sort of protection claim that they do so for the "public good".

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
Originally Posted by RobertR
... I'd be just as upset if HTC or Motorola was trying such nonsense against Apple. ...
This type of action (filing a complaint with the ITC to block imports) is standard procedure in these cases. And yes, Apple HAS been the on the receiving end of such filings. In their battles with Nokia and Samsung both sides have made these filings against the other. It's just part of the game that is played.

Apple is no more or less guilty than any other large company when it comes to these patent lawsuits. It's a game everyone has to play. If you don't, you lose by default.

Save your outrage for the US Patent Office. They're the ones approving these ridiculous patents.

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
Craig S said:
Save your outrage for the US Patent Office. They're the ones approving these ridiculous patents. 

I believe I just said I want to do away with it entirely. :)

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
And the nonsense continues:
http://www.latimes.com/business/technology/la-fi-tn-apple-samsung-injunction-20120607,0,3300974.story
These people really do need to give it a rest.

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
Apple will drop their Samsung suits just as soon as Samsung market share drops to nothing like HTC.

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
techcrunch.com/2012/11/11/with-htc-patent-deal-apple-is-going-for-androids-jugular/
Looks like this, and not shifting focus from litigation back to innovation, is the reason for the settlement.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks