What's new

Apple Silicon (ARM based) Macs buyers and owners thread (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Wow! It looks like the next generation of AIR with the M2 chip and a rainbow variety of case colors is going to be a solid offering as an entry-level Macbook.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Went to the Apple Store to pick up my ATV4K today. I will likely be buying a 24" iMac and one of iPads with the keyboards (maybe even the magic keyboard) for work. Both looked to be stellar products, and I know they're taking flak for the colors, but I liked them in person.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
No Apple Store browsing for me. They were at max capacity without an appointment, and I didn’t have an hour to kill until the next opening.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Rumors still running rampant that M2 Macbook Pros to be introduced at WWDC in two weeks.

I am going to be putting in a sell request with sellyourmac.com for my current 16" MBP, anticipating a release. Worst case scenario is that I cancel the sale and wait until September.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
I had to pull the trigger today. I have a June 1 deadline for my work funds to be expended, and there is zero chance of any new Macs being available for billing by then. And no, I can't game the system by having work purchase a $3000 Apple Gift Card for use in a future release, as the auditors would have a field day with that.

So I have had our IT department order a new M1 iMac that will be at my office and a 13" M1 MBP for on the go. Both will have 16GB memory and 1TB SSD upgrades, and I'm going to try the Magic Trackpad for the iMac.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Carlo,

I think we had all hoped that the iMacs released this year would cover a wider gamut of professional options.

However, it's obvious Apple has chosen to introduce all their models with the most basic configurations, making PRO users wait another year for the models they crave.

Even the upcoming Macbook Pros may have a variant of the M1 chip (labeled M1X) instead of jumping to M2.

I do hope that the M1 iMac and the M1 MBP serve your needs well.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Yeah I was of that belief early on. It’s for work, which is the opposite of pro use. It will be more than sufficient for my work needs.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I had to pull the trigger today. I have a June 1 deadline for my work funds to be expended, and there is zero chance of any new Macs being available for billing by then. And no, I can't game the system by having work purchase a $3000 Apple Gift Card for use in a future release, as the auditors would have a field day with that.

So I have had our IT department order a new M1 iMac that will be at my office and a 13" M1 MBP for on the go. Both will have 16GB memory and 1TB SSD upgrades, and I'm going to try the Magic Trackpad for the iMac.
If I had $3000 free use-it-or-lose-it money, I'd happily buy a 24" imac. Or maybe I'd buy a Mini and an LG 5K monitor. Or gamble on one of those $1300 ultrawide high end monitors. :)

For my purposes, the current M1 mini is plenty. It's the monitor situation that's the sticking point. After using a 5K 27" iMac for a few years, there's no going back to a (comparatively) low-def 24" Dell monitor.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
the resolution was fine for me. The stopper was the gloss.
I’d probably be fine with the “4.5K” of the 24” iMac. But after the 5K 27” it would be a hard adjustment for a month or two and I don’t want to deal with downward tech coping right now.

Users who are viewing this thread