What's new

Apple Silicon (ARM based) Macs buyers and owners thread (1 Viewer)

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Absolutely, but it's going to take time to develop the technology to match what Nvidia has, I'd guess in 3 to 5 years they will be maturing.

I would bet real money they launch with a competitive external GPU for pro machines within their 2 year cycle. I have it a 25% chance of it happening THIS fall.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein

This is actually encouraging. I had thought of Macbook silicone. To learn that it could be a Pro is very exciting.

I just sold my 2019 13" MBP in anticipation of an ARM replacement. I will do the same for my 16" MBP once that comes out.

I hope that Apple puts a serious graphic card in the 13" model so that it can drive a widescreen display at the expected ratio which the current 13" MBP cannot.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I hope that Apple puts a serious graphic card in the 13" model so that it can drive a widescreen display at the expected ratio which the current 13" MBP cannot.
Honestly Ron, the on-board graphics in even the current, basic i3 Mini can drive your widescreen monitor, and more. As I recall, it can drive two 4K monitors. I'd certainly expect any new MBP to be capable of the same.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Honestly Ron, the on-board graphics in even the current, basic i3 Mini can drive your widescreen monitor, and more. As I recall, it can drive two 4K monitors. I'd certainly expect any new MBP to be capable of the same.

Oh, it drives it. However, I was not able to get it to 3840x2160. It would only accept odd ratios.

Additionally, those that were using LG Monitors with the 13" MBP were having issues. Now, I don't know if that is an LG problem, an Apple problem, or just compatibility between the two hardware devices.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Oh, it drives it. However, I was not able to get it to 3840x2160. It would only accept odd ratios.

Additionally, those that were using LG Monitors with the 13" MBP were having issues. Now, I don't know if that is an LG problem, an Apple problem, or just compatibility between the two hardware devices.
OK, I see. It didn't recognize widescreen ARs. That disappoints me. The 16" MBP does, though, right?

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
OK, I see. It didn't recognize widescreen ARs. That disappoints me. The 16" MBP does, though, right?

Yes, absolutely, the 16" MBP does a fantastic job of driving a widescreen display.

The secret is the Radeon Pro card.

The 13" MBP, even in its highest build, has an onboard graphics card. It just can't handle widescreen displays properly.

So, I am anticipating that the 13" or 14" ARM will include a graphics card that can do the job.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Ron, I looked up the 2019 13" MBP, and it can drive the internal display plus two external 4K displays. I find it extremely odd that it wouldn't let you select to proper resolution/AR for your external widescreen monitor. Unless you had it set to mirror the displays.

You posted your last comment as I was writing this.

I seriously doubt it's an inherent problem of on-board graphics. The graphics in the 13" MBP can drive more video than you need. It seems that it's just not recognizing the AR of you monitor. That sounds like something that could be remedied with firmware. My point is, don't assume a separate GPU is necessary for that you want.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Apple doesn't make or sell any ultra widescreen displays AFAIK. If there is support for them it's cause the graphics vendors care about it, not Apple. I've tried to discourage Mac users from getting their hearts set on UWS for this reason. It's a niche of a niche.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
@Ronald Epstein may be able to work around this using a custom resolution: https://www.alphr.com/custom-resolution-mac-osx/

Thank you, Dave.

I just sold my 13" MBP in anticipation of new ARM notebooks next month so this is all mute right now.

However, I was using SwitchResX to select custom resolutions and with the 13" model I could not select the same resolution I was getting with the 16" MBP.

Could very well be I missed something. I just found it to be a completely different experience with the 13" model and I originally attributed it to the lack of a Radeon graphic card. Maybe I am wrong.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Moot =)

Anyway, the focus on MagSafe and Dolby Vision for the iPhones has me rethinking what might be big about upcoming Apple Silicon Macbooks and iMacs.

These just went to the top of my features wishlists...
Magsafe for Laptops
Snappable cases
Dolby Vision capable 1200 nit displays (OLED would be awesome but I don't think first generation will do it)
Dolby Atmos support
NVME4 SSDs like current consoles are jumping on
5G built in
Hardened glass screens with pencil support
FaceID -and- Touch ID

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Moot =)

Anyway, the focus on MagSafe and Dolby Vision for the iPhones has me rethinking what might be big about upcoming Apple Silicon Macbooks and iMacs.

These just went to the top of my features wishlists...
Magsafe for Laptops
Snappable cases
Dolby Vision capable 1200 nit displays (OLED would be awesome but I don't think first generation will do it)
Dolby Atmos support
NVME4 SSDs like current consoles are jumping on
5G built in
Hardened glass screens with pencil support
FaceID -and- Touch ID

Sam,

I am with you on Face ID and Touch ID as well as built-in 5G. I think Dolby Vision will be a given now that the iPhone can record in it.

Question...

You and I bought the 16" last year. If Apple offers up a 16" ARM next year (as I don't think it will happen this year), will you sell your current MBP and buy it?

I plan to do it.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
You and I bought the 16" last year. If Apple offers up a 16" ARM next year (as I don't think it will happen this year), will you sell your current MBP and buy it?

I plan to do it.

The devil is in the details. I probably shouldn't have bought the 16", it really doesn't meet my needs as well as the iPad Pro does with the create or smart keyboard cases do. I actually have both the 3 year old iPad Pro in Create and 2 year old in Smart Keyboard iPad Pros running along with the 16".

I use the 16 mostly for 3D print STL creation with a bit of video and photo editing with some Diablo on it too.
I use the 2 year old iPad Pro for EVERYTHING on travel and in my civic duties and club memberships. I edit newsletters, emails and other docs like crazy on it. I edit photos. I use the web and all media consumption. I know you and I disagree with whether the iPad Pro is a laptop replacement but for me it truly is and gets the most use of all my devices.
I still have the 3 year old iPad pro kicking around because I never got around to selling it off for what it was worth. I still love the combo with create but not as much as smart keyboard. It still kicks ass but mostly sits in my TV room for twitter during events and TV just because that's where it is plugged in.

Will have to make a hard decision about moving to a Silicon Macbook Pro vice the next iPad Pro, assuming there is one =) But I will never have both the iPad Pro and MBP at the same time again.

I cannot wait to see what a Silicon iMac looks like tho. I expect to get THAT day one. It will be interesting to see if they create a radical new form factor for that or not.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I used to be an iMac guy. Owned several when I first switched from Microsoft to Apple.

Then I got a Macbook Pro. I was constantly having to install the same software on both my MBP and iMac.

I finally stopped buying iMacs and went with an MBP as I could easily hook it up to an external monitor and get the same benefits of a desktop.

I think an ARM iMac re-design would be incredible. Just would rather still have a laptop for portability and the ability to turn it into a desktop.

Maybe one of these years after COVID is over we can take a train ride into NYC and you can demonstrate the things I need to on an iPad that I don't think are as intuitive or as quick as doing it on a laptop.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
My wife is getting due for an iMac upgrade, so will consider holding off for the ARM iMac for her.

For me, I don't use laptops these days, and have no need replace my 2019 iMac yet. I'll probably get the iPad Air since that's a better device for my mobile uses.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks