What's new

Apple products in films and TV (1 Viewer)

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Obviously this is of limited interest to Apple fans. I thought it would be fun to list films and TV shows were Apple computers are used as props. This didn't quite fit into Movies or the TV section, maybe After Hours Lounge.

I only bring this up as I saw the School of Rock this weekend and there is an Apple Titanium Powerbook used by one of the kids, and the class room had two iMacs.

Then Sunday's airing of Alias, the evil Sloan character had a not so disguised 17" Powerbook.

Perhaps others have noticed other Apple products in recent films or TV? Of course product placement has been going on for years, but sometimes often, on TV, they use Apple products because of their great eye appeal. And often the logo is hidden.

Nelson

JamesHl

Supporting Actor
Er... in the ER episode a week before last where Dr. Carter went to the Congo he had an ipod most of the time he was onscreen.

There are a ton of other examples, I just can't think of any off the top of my head.

Kevin Hewell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Hewell
Carrie Bradshaw on Sex and the City uses an Apple laptop to write all her columns. They even did an ep a couple of years ago about her old one dying.

You see many more Apple products on TV and films than you see in real life. Apple must pay a bundle for all those product placements.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
A few that come to mind...

The Hulk
iBook and iMac in Banner's lab

Gilmore Girls
Apple Studio Display on the desk at the Independence Inn
iBook ( clamshell ) - Birthday present for Rory; also used in subsequent episodes.

and going way back

Tron
Apple /// - in Jeff Bridges' loft.

Slightly off topic. Speaking of Alias - what type of systems are being used in the CIA conference room? Sort of looks like a metal case tablet PC married to a circular swivel mount arm attached to a dock.

- Walter.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Certainly products are placed on TV shows and films at the expense of the manufacturer. But in the case of Apple, I think it's kinda 50-50 when it's paid and not. I noticed last year or year before on The King of Queens, the wife character was working on a Pismo G3 Powerbook, but the logo was taped over, as it was on Alias last Sunday. If they tape over the logo, I think it's so they don't have to worry about any legal issues.

In The School of Rock, they definitley showed the Apple logo. That reminds me, in Batman and Robin, Alfred was using a 20th Anniversary Mac. It was a non production unit, actually a concept model made by Apple prior to the final design.

And I just remembered that Steven Segal used a Newton on the train in Under Siege 2. And Jeff Goldblum was using a Powerbook during the movie and used it to deliver the virus to the Alien ships. Don't recall the model.

I was wondering what those screens were too in Alias CIA conference room.

Patrick_S

Senior HTF Member
And I just remembered that Steven Segal used a Newton on the train in Under Siege 2.
I never saw US2 but if his character is still in the service that is probably why he was using a Newton. At one time several branches of the military used specially modified Newtons for various communications and intelligence applications.

Pamela

Supporting Actor
On the TV show Ed, Mike and Nancy have an iMac.

The movie, Bridget Jones's Diary, features a bunch of Apple products in the office scenes.

Kris McLaughlin

Stunt Coordinator
Just watched The Italian Job and Charlize Theron was training with an iPod to repreoduce ambient noise.

There was an iPod on the season premiere of Scrubs, as well. Now I just need one on my desk...

JasenP

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jasen
I just think it's funny that so many characters in films and TV have macs but they are relatively scarce in reality.

Mike Sogge

Stunt Coordinator
Seinfeld always had a Mac of one model or another on the desk in his back corner of his living room.

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
Seinfeld always had a Mac of one model or another on the desk in his back corner of his living room.
Yeah, it was like an old IIci or something like that. Apple products have ALWAYS been used in TV and in Movies. I believe the big appeal is the look. The Mac cases have always had an artsy look to them (everyone is finally catching up)

More examples:

-Jay and Silent Bob strike back: Screen Grab

-When the iMacs came out, Mimi (Drew Carey show) used one - I believe it was orange?

-Unbreakable: When Elijah Price (Sam Jackson) rolls down into his room (a the end of the movie) there are a slew of G3's (or G4's) under his desk.

-The Ozbournes: Kelly uses an iBook when she is making her music video in CA.

and these are what I can think of off the top of my head. I've always noticed Macs on tv and in movies.

Rob Gardiner

Senior HTF Member
I was flipping channels last night and came across an episode of BUFFY THE VAMPIRE SLAYER. (I don't know which episode, it's the one where the blond guy threatens to destroy a Boba Fett action figure.) Alison Hanigan lifts the cover of her Mac laptop (white case with the Apple logo clearly visible).

Didn't Harry Anderson have one on NIGHT COURT?

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
:laugh: I always forget that Titanic starts off in the present day. When I saw Titanic in the list (from the web site Anthony posted), I was trying to figure out what Mac product was around in 1912? :b

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I happen to flip the channels to Less Then Perfect last night and I saw the 17" flat panel displays on the desks in an office location. The Apple logo in back was covered over.

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
In my observation, the VAST majority of computers featured in movies are Macs. I actually only notice when it's NOT a Mac...

--
H

NicholasL

Second Unit
In Season 2 of THE SOPRANOS, Meadow's half black half something else boyfriend in college has an ibook.

Toby Zigler of THE WEST WING uses a black powerbook with a glowing green logo.

Chuck H

Agent
Tonite on Angel on the WB in the Wolfam and Hart offices that they are now using were full of Apple laptops and the small Cube's from a few years ago and 20" Studio displays.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks