What's new

Apple Maps: Steve Jobs must be rolling over in his grave (1 Viewer)

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
DaveF said:
We're not a stock site, but someone make sense of this?
It's not hard to understand. Apple was experiencing exponential profit growth, and now it's not.

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
The real problem with Apple stocks aren't the profits or the earnings. It's the perception that the post-Jobs era is one of stagnation and lack of innovation, and that means there's nowhere to go but down. It's no accident that the stock price hit an all time high right before the launch of the iPhone 5. The lack of any wow factor made a lot of investors think this is the beginning of the end. Putting Apple in your long term investment portfolio might not pay off. Adding Amazon and Google, who earn waaaaaaay less profits, look like safer bets because they don't have the flash in the pan tarnish Apple is getting.
The fact that Tim Cook is still mum on Apple TV and outright said not to expect a larger iPhone isn't going to make them happier.

DVDvision

Screenwriter
Real Name
David
Well, nothing is happening actually. There is no Lion or Mountain Lion update, ever. iTunes 11 is a piece of crap you can't master (impossible to get compilations together). New lines of computer like the mac mini actually are regression (no worthy graphic card anymore) with some lip service things added (USB3). The hard drives they sell their computer with are worse than ever. iOS updates are scarce. Plans doesn't know where north is. MacPro have no real update and it's like 3 years old which in computer age is like 30 years. They fired some very creative people. They may make money right now, but they are dancing on the edge of the abyss. Apple died with Steve Jobs. The rest is just a post scriptum. Just look at their keynotes, it's like attending a burial.

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
And just to add, the market has already seen what a post-Jobs Apple is like. And it wasn't pretty.

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
Sam Posten said:
Yeah. 13 billion dollars profit. D0med!
You seem very anxious to ignore what the trends are, ie, not think about the future. "all that matters is that they're making lots of money now!" I'm curious. Do you own Apple stock? If you do, are you confident in keeping it? If you don't, would you buy it now?

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
RobertR said:
You seem very anxious to ignore what the trends are, ie, not think about the future. "all that matters is that they're making lots of money now!"
No, I'm actually, you know, reasonable about their potential growth opportunities. You realize that the iPod came out in 2001 right? In 11 years we've had iPod, iPhone, iPad and now iPad mini. Ipad itself is only 3 years old. http://gigaom.com/2013/01/23/tim-cook-to-apple-investors-keep-calm-and-stop-listening-to-rumors/ http://www.macworld.com/article/2026141/in-his-own-words-tim-cook-on-apple-earnings-and-more.html http://blogs.hbr.org/pallotta/2013/01/the-market-wants-apple-to-unve.html I think focusing on growth is dumb over focusing on profits but that's just me. I believe Apple will continue to invent disruptive technologies at the pace they have done so in the past decade. I have no unreasonable expectations that they will do so any faster than that or that they will sacrifice profits to get there. Ultimately I believe that those who chant the 'Apple is d0med!!!1' line will look foolish in the future but that unreasonable expectaions and time-machine dreams will continue to make its stock a roller coaster. As always, we will see who is ultimately right, but I like their chances. I don't understand why so many want to believe that Apple died with Steve. I believe Steve was a visionary but I don't believe Apple's success was entirely attributable to him-as-alive per se. That his philosophies are ingrained in those that remain, were cultivated by the entire team at Apple and not just him, outlive him within Apple, continue to baffle companies that are NOT Apple, and they will influence Apple's future in the right direction.

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
Sam Posten said:
No, I'm actually, you know, reasonable about their potential growth opportunities. You realize that the iPod came out in 2002 right? In 11 years we've had iPod, iPhone, iPad and now iPad mini. Ipad itself is only 3 years old.
So you believe that the company's behavior in the post Jobs era will not be significantly different than when he was alive and in his prime. Based on what?

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Corrected that typo, it was 2001. I base it on everything Tim has said over his time in the CEO seat, starting 2 years before Jobs actually died. http://articles.latimes.com/2011/oct/06/business/la-fi-apple-university-20111006

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Done? He introduced the iPad Mini which multiple reviewers are calling the best tablet on the market despite not having a retina screen. Under his watch 80% of Apple's products were refreshed in a 3 month period. You know when the last time that happened? Right before iPhone was introduced so they could focus on that. They've introduced and expanded the capabilities of Siri. Siri is expected to open to 3rd parties sooner rather than later. They've entered the Maps market, perhaps with some difficulty but it gives them a foothold to radically expand what 3rd parties can natively do with that tech in their own maps using OS level vector maps speed. They've clearly got something cooking with TV. Anything less than a smash hit on that will be considered a flop, be ridiculed and then if history is a guide, will be iterated on until it's almost impossible to remember before it existed =p They've got something big lined up for Pro markets to be unveiled soon with the Mac Pro, and expected 2 year cycle updates to Logic, Aperture and other creation apps. China. China. China. To be continued with more in tech-growth nations. Stay tuned.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Market Share: Explain to me why anyone cares? It is meaningless. Stock Price: The company is the most profitable business in the history in the world and "analysts" are bummed about it. If Apple listened to analysts they'd be.... Dell. Profits: Most profitable company in the world. Profits are flat. Boo hoo.

DVDvision

Screenwriter
Real Name
David
The iPad mini is not a product made for the consumer, it's made to kill the competition. Siri? Don't start over this joke, it cannot even understand movie titles.

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
Sam Posten said:
Market Share: Explain to me why anyone cares? It is meaningless.
So you claim it will be "meaningless" if the Iphone continues to decline to, say, 10% of smartphone sales? 8%? 5%? Really?
"analysts" are bummed about it.
The fact that the stock is down 35% in the past four months (a fact, not just a perception by "analysts") is something you again claim is "meaningless"?
Profits are flat. Boo hoo.
They used to be increasing. The fact that they're not is again "meaningless", according to you?

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
I wouldn't call Apple doomed, but to actually expect them to continue performing as they did during the Jobs era, especially under their current microsope, is certainly unrealistic, if not wishful thinking. One thing. I do suspect if they're able to rise to the all-around challenge (in these next few years), it'll very likely involve a whole lot in China... _Man_

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
HDvision said:
The iPad mini is not a product made for the consumer, it's made to kill the competition. Siri? Don't start over this joke, it cannot even understand movie titles.
How do you kill the competition with a product that consumers don't want?

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
http://daringfireball.net/linked/2013/01/24/aapl-irrational Perfectly captures my view of Apple stock: irrationally undervalued by the market. "Apple’s stock hinges on how that news is received by shareholders like you and me, not on quarterly successes. And an enthusiastic reaction isn’t a foregone conclusion. Some may look at Apple’s tally and think, wow, this is even better than I expected. Others may shrug, their expectations too high. And there’s certainly a precedent for that kind of reception. Last quarter (Q3 2011), in fact. Apple came out and reported another record quarter, yet they missed “the street,” industry-speak for falling short of analysts’ expectations. The end result was a 5 percent hit in the market the following day." I'm a Random Walk guy, but Apple and Amazon stock price defy reason.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation155
Recent bookmarks