1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Apple Mac / OS X announcements on October 20th

Discussion in 'Apple' started by Ted Todorov, Oct 13, 2010.

1. mattCR

mattCR Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Matt

This argument to me is pointless. If someone is planning on hooking this thing to a 27" Apple Cinema Display, they really wasted their money. With non-expandable storage, and no docking station to get gigabit or other functions, this seems a poor cop. More then that, the Air is using the Nvidia 320, which is in the process of being wiped out by the Ion2 and 400M, which Nvidia announced was replacing the 300 series almost 2 months ago:

http://blogs.nvidia.com/ntersect/2010/09/new-geforce-400m-series-notebook-gpus-arrive-for-the-holidays.html

So, you're using a graphics chip in this that is a generation and a half back that chokes on outputting 1080P, and you're doing it on a platform that doesn't support bluray in a non-expandable form.

I -get- the 13'. It could be used as a replacement, a full laptop. But how much "work" are you getting done on an 11.6 with an SU9400 Core type processor?

Cult of Mac pretty much nailed this:

I'm just struggling to see the gain in that model. I think the 13" model has some traction, it's a viable full function laptop. But I can't make sense of either of these. I get that they are using the older video type because it's both cheaper and likely less heat in newer die shrinks.

2. Ted Todorov

Ted Todorov Producer

OK, I'll give you a very specific example. You are a professional writer and want the 27" screen to have multiple drafts on screen simultaneously. The 11" MacBook processor is just fine for running Pages. The storage is more than enough for you to write the world's longest novel. And as stated above you wan the the *lightest Mac possible*

Why is this so difficult to comprehend? There are plenty of applications where all the nonsense about video cards and waisting your money ($999, the horror, the horror) couldn't be more meaningless. I personally know a bunch of people (family members included) whose Mac requirements would be met perfectly by the 11" MBA.

3. mattCR

mattCR Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Matt

I guess this is where I get tripped up. I get what you are saying, but it's still the wrong concept (JMHO). You're describing "Lightest possible" Ok, I get that. But what you're describing could be done on any netbook @ $249 available almost anywhere... and those little $249 jobs get almost double the battery life of this 11.6"er. If all you care about is writing pages. I won't go into the "OSX86 on an AspireOne" argument. But I love the "$999, the horror, the horror" Shockingly, the economy is not as hot for everyone as everyone else. So, if I'm budget tight, is a $999 "almost" a laptop really a sell, when it's not a great deal more speed or performance then a Netbook that is 1/4 the cost? And those at least have storage, etc.

You describe a very limited use here, also "more then enough for the largest novel" Well, that's true. My TI-83 Calculator with 256MB could do that.

But here's what I see:

I have an iPad with 64GB of Space.

You have an Air with 64GB of Space.

My operating system on the iPad takes up minimal space, about 1GB, total.
    Meanwhile, on your Air, you're going to install up your normal software you want to use, including quite a few things I can't on my Ipad. Outside of the fact the OSX install is significantly larger.. according to Apple, the standard install for this is 14.36GB, which is about what I get too.

So, now you install Itunes, Ilife (6GB, since you install the kits) and just some basics (Acrobat, etc.)

So, now you've used, let's say 27GB of your 64GB total space.

I have an Ipad with about 60GB of free space for me to install any of the small games, apps, etc. and music.

Before you even get out of the gates - let's forget office, just the OS, and only things you basically must have to be comparable, you're near 20GB used, so around 40GB free.

Here's my bigger concern, and I why I keep mentioning: there is a big difference between flash and SSD... I love my new Ipod touch. It's a great little unit. It has been through everything and I love the damn thing. But, twice, I've had errors, and yep, all I can do is wipe and restore from iTunes. It happens. This also happens on SSDs and any type disc, and yes, it happens on iPads too, which is why Apple and everyone urges you to backup.

When you're using flash only on a laptop PC you get quick instant on, but any fubar, and you're finding yourself re-initializing. So, that makes the air one of those things that don't go back in.

And I don't want to get crowned as "oh, there's the apple hater" Everyone here has an ipod, I've had an apple in my house back to the II+. Next year, I'll probably replace my wife's Macbook Pro with a new MBP. But the attract of the air just isn't quite there.

I think the link that Sam put up far more effectively spells this out from a Mac standpoint then I, maybe.

4. Sam Posten

Sam Posten Moderator

Sam Posten

Amen. For my Mom and her friends this would be pretty perfect except for the whole eye vision thing. I'm not sure an 11" is going to be any better for her than the iPad which she says is too hard to read...

I stand by my initial assessment tho, the 11" Air is going to be THE computer to have for a highschool or college student, especially those who are not tech heads. It's light, has a usable keyboard, runs apps, Applications, games up to and including world of warcraft (which runs fine on my 4 year old plasticbook). Mac Appstore and Airs are going to be INSANELY popular on campus in early 2011.

5. Sam Posten

Sam Posten Moderator

Sam Posten

I forgot to correct you on this. This is not technically true. The 11"ers keyboard and trackpad are smaller than those on the 13s (tho the 13"s are in fact full size).

6. Christian Behrens

Christian Behrens Supporting Actor

Christian Behrens
    As corrected in the other thread, the storage is not hardwired to the board, as can be seen here:

http://guide-images.ifixit.net/igi/LknkqWKga2vIIUHD.medium

Secondly, the Mac Mini has no problems playing 1080p due to the Nvidia 320M chip with its hardware H.264 acceleration, so I wouldn't be surprised if the same is true here.

-Christian

7. Ken Chan

Ken Chan Producer

The reports I've seen is that the 11.6's trackpad is definitely a bit shorter, but "full" width. Keyboard is "full" size. Haven't seen the new Airs side by side with regular MacBooks (and with "netbooks"), which would settle the issue for me.