1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Apple iPhone 3G S Discussion

Discussion in 'Apple' started by Ronald Epstein, Jun 19, 2009.

1. Ted Todorov

Ted Todorov Producer

Originally Posted by Ted Todorov ">[/url]

[url=http://www.macrumors.com/2009/07/05/white-iphone-3gs-discoloration-due-to-third-party-cases-not-overheating/]www.macrumors.com/2009/07/05/white-iphone-3gs-discoloration-due-to-third-party-cases-not-overheating/
    [/url]
    What the link says -- third party cases, not overheating are causing the white iPhone discoloration. Use it naked -- looks better that way...

2. Mark Booth

Mark Booth Cinematographer
    Supporter

Adding the proper "Home Theater" tilt to the iPhone App discussion.... One of my favorite iPhone apps is the Delicious Library app! They released it about a month ago (with not much fanfare). Thanks to the app (which connects to Delicious Library on my Mac via WiFi), I can carry my entire movie collection with me on my iPhone and reference it whenever I need, even if I don't have a cell or WiFi signal! It's GREAT for shopping bargains on Blu-ray..... helps me remember which discs I already have which ones I have on DVD that deserve and upgrade to Blu! :)

Mark

3. Mark Booth

Supporter

Ron, What?? Do you have it set on vibrate? :)

Mark

4. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

Dave
    Interesting editorial at HuffPo as it pulls together the many rumors on the iPhone. The above quote is what most interests me. The duration of exclusivity agreement between Apple and AT&T has been talked about with certainty for the past three years. But I've never seen an actual reference to the duration, not even citation of "unnamed sources".

I don't doubt that the current contract will end in 2010; but it's a funny thing these facts that everyone knows but no one can source. :)

And it matters to me. I see an iPhone in my future, but it may be 12 months away. If it's a cinch that Verizon will get it in 2010, I'll definitely wait. If that's fool's gold, then I'd switch to AT&T sooner should opportunity arises.

5. Sam Posten

Sam Posten Moderator

Sam Posten
    Ok, after FOUR dealer stops I now have working BlueTooth between my 09 Trailblazer and iPhone 3gs. Apparently there was a new firmware update on Monday which fixed this. If you have an 09 GM car with Bluetooth you will need to have a service call to have this firmware installed to make it work.

6. RAF

RAF Lead Actor

With all due respect, Dave, I left AT&T wireless many years ago and absolutely nothing would ever make me return to them . Here in the NYC area Verizon is so far superior to AT&T in all respects that it's not even debatable. The quality of the signal, dropped calls, lousy customer service - you name it, AT&T's guilty of it. Hopefully, your area's AT&T service is a lot better. And this is not a knock on the iPhone as a device - just as a phone and that's mostly not Apple's fault but AT&T's fault. In fact, I was so impressed with many of the iPhone's non-phone features that I purchased a 32gig iTouch and I love it.

If the iPhone ever comes to Verizon (unfortunately I don't believe the rumors) I will be all over it on day one (assuming stupid things like not allowing MMS don't carry over!). But as it is now I'm perfectly happy with my Blackberry for all my phone and e-mail needs. Having used both the Blackberry and the iTouch for e-mail I can safely offer the first person opinion that Blackberry email runs rings around iTouch email in terms of functionality and reliability.

7. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

Dave
    I'm told by an iPhone owner that AT&T is good in my area. I've realized I don't need an email phone, I need a media-player and web-brower and app-running phone. The iPhone is the winner for that.

8. Ted Todorov

Ted Todorov Producer

And of of course DVDPedia/CDPedia/BookPedia have had PocketPedia on the iPhone since practically day one of the iPhone App store -- for an entire year. PocketPedia is indispensable for any *Pedia user and iPhone/iPodTouch user. Free, of course.

Considering the iPhone 3GS vastly improved camera for close up, I would expect barcode scanning to be incorporated in one of those apps -- considering iSight barcode scanning has always been Delicious Library's strongest selling point, I look for the Delicious Library iPhone App to come from behind and get there first with the barcode scanning feature.

9. DavidJ

DavidJ Producer

David
    Bad news for the Delicious Library iPhone app:

www.tuaw.com/2009/07/07/delicious-library-for-iphone-runs-afoul-of-amazons-api-terms-p/

10. RAF

RAF Lead Actor

If AT&T is good in your area then you are very lucky. Not so in my area. And I don't dispute the fact that the iPhone (in my case the iTouch) is a GREAT media Player, Web Browser and Application running device. That's why I own one. But as a phone under the AT&T umbrella? Not in my backyard.

Side note: I, too, didn't think that e-mail via a handheld device would be of much use to me but now that I have experienced e-mail in the Blackberry Universe it has become an indispensable tool for me. It's one of those things that I would miss if I didn't have at my fingertips, so e-mail on my phone has become extremely important thing for my needs.

11. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

Dave
    I need a competent email system on any prospective smartphone, but I won't be emailing like my crackberry coworkers and siblings. I won't use a personal phone for work email and I only get a handful of personal emails a day. And after years with Palm's graffiti system, I'd be happy for any keyboard, virtual or physical.

It's all talk for now, though. Smartphone is still on the "wish" list for me :)

12. TonyD

TonyD Who do we think I am?
    Supporter

Tony D.
  13. Mark Booth

Supporter

14. Ted Todorov

Ted Todorov Producer

Re: Delicious Library -- it is indeed a shame, Amazon is being stupid. But: Pocketpedia is still there. Time to check out DVDPedia guys...

15. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

Dave
    An interesting lesson from this and other such incidents is to buy an app the first day it's out; purchased apps have not been revoked have they?

I'll admit to not understanding the DL love. It worked very badly for me. In my home office, the scanning barcodes by MBP camera was largely a failure. And when it did happen grab a barcode, it failed to the lookup of my Harry Potter books. How does a book catalog program not know the most popular books of the past decade? It has similar problems with DVD TV sets. Too bad, as it looked fun and possibly useful.

But I must admit, the prospect of doing a DL type thing via iPhone, complete with barcode scan and lookup, is attractive. If it was near bulletproof, I'd be much more apt to use it than an equivalent desktop solution. It was be very fun for the Christmas morning additions, when my laptop is not available. :)

16. Eric M Jones

Eric M Jones Second Unit

If you're considering purchasing an external power pack for you iphone you may want to check out www.woot.com today.

-EJ

17. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

Dave
  18. Sam Posten

Sam Posten Moderator

Sam Posten
    Hockenberry rules. What apple REALLY needs to do is figure out a way to make things scale for those of us with over 100 apps and want to lock some in place and make moving others not such a pain in the ass.

19. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

Dave
    Unrelated question: If I buy an iPod Touch and buy apps for it, can I later transfer those apps to an iPhone without rebuying?

I'm in PDA purgatory and may need an interim solution. Since "PDA"'s are no made nor sold, a cheap, used iTouch may be a necessary compromise.

20. Christian Behrens

Christian Behrens Supporting Actor

Christian Behrens
    Yes, as with music, what you have on your machine you can sync with unlimited iPods or iPhones.

-Christian