What's new

Apple iPad buyers / Owners thread (1 Viewer)

Steve_Tk

Senior HTF Member
Question for current iPad owners. I have an iPhone 4. I have all my apps backed up on my computer. I assume when I get an iPad I can transfer all these apps from my computer to the iPad. My question is, I've seen certain apps that look completely different on the iPad, looks like they are optimized for the bigger screen. Do I have to go download these from an iPad app store (or is the app store the same for iphones/ipods/ipads)? Do you have to pay for apps twice if they make an iPad version and iPhone version?

Or are some apps you download both made for all devices, and will just look/work differently depending on the device you are using?

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member
There are three type of Apps: Universal, iPhone only and iPad only. All three types will work on the iPad, though the iPhone only ones are fugly on an iPad. For existing iPhone apps, some have gone the universal route, in which case the same app you already have will work with nice native iPad formatting. Some have developed separate iPad apps, and may require you to re-buy the iPad version. It is entirely up to the app's author.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Exactly right. It's frustrating when they don't go universal, both from a cost perspective but also an management issue.

Take Avatar for example, which I purchased on my iPhone for my nephews when it went on sale for 99 cents. They liked it so much I splurged for the higher cost Avatar for iPad app. The problem is that I then sync my iPad and now have two Avatar apps floating around on it and there is ZERO difference in the icon or app name to help me decide which one to remove from the device, and if i remove it from the device itself it comes back next time I sync! If i want to keep it off the device I have to specifically drill down to that app on itunes and its EVEN MORE impossible to tell which one is which in itunes! Same icon, same name, similar size, exact same version refresh date!

Steve_Tk

Senior HTF Member
Thanks for the info. Anyone also think that iTunes is terrible when it comes to syncing your devices? There has to be a more user friendly way. I'm pretty savy, but it wouldn't be the first time that I've unhooked my device only to find I totally screwed up when I synced, the playlist are all wrong/gone, the music list is incorrect, the apps are no longer arranged properly, etc etc.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
I'm fairly ok with iTunes. I know there are other MUCH more sophisticated management apps out there but they require much more sophisticated users! ;)

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Sam , deleting apps from my iPhone means they don't come back when I sync later. Does the iPad do syncing differently? It sounds like there's a setting set wrong in your iTunes if apps keep returning after deletion.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Maybe they changed this behavior since the last time I tried it? This article from '08 says it works the way I describe...

http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-19512_7-10115624-233.html

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
In 2010 and 2011, it doesn't for me and my wife :)

If I delete an app from my iPhone, it's deselected from syncing in iTunes, but not deleted.

Now, if I delete an app from itunes, on Sync it will copy it back into iTunes from the iPhone (rather than delete it from the iPhone)

And any new app downloaded automatically is synced to my iPhone.

I'm out of town again, so i can't check my settings to compare to how you're set. But what you describe on the iPad is not my experience with my iPhone. I'll give it another look in two weeks when I'm home.

EricW

Senior HTF Member
when i delete an app on my ipad (or touch), upon sync, it will not reinstall itself.

if you want to know which Avatar icon to delete, it's simple: next time your ipad is connected, select your ipad within your itunes, then go to the apps tab and see which one to uncheck.

for example, below i have both versions of Risk:

they're together only because i'm sorting by name. if i'd sorted by type, the ipad apps would be seperated.

and its EVEN MORE impossible to tell which one is which in itunes! Same icon, same name, similar size, exact same version refresh date!

also, if you're in the apps "listpage" on itunes, there should be a "kind" column you that can create (if it's not there), just right click along the top bar where it says name, seller, etc.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Guys, I've started to experience an odd problem, I suddenly cannot send email from the iPad. It can receive email fine though. I get a pop up that says, "user name or password is incorrect" when I try to send. However, my iPhone 4 can still send email via the same wifi network in my home. iPhone has the same mail settings and account. Nothing has changed. I did delete the account on the iPad to see if that would help, and then I redid the account, still doesn't work. Emails hang in the outgoing box. I have not backed up in a couple of months. I have not reset it either. My Airport has been flakey lately, but email worked then. Any suggestions?

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Are you using Gmail? Have you changed your password recently? If so, search authorize account or something like that. Gmail disables email access from non-web access after a password change.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I'm using Yahoo mail. It's the same account I've had for at least 8 years and the password has not been changed recently. My iPhone has the same email access set-up and it working fine via wifi at my home network. I will double check my setting on both devices, but they were the same.

Steve_Tk

Senior HTF Member
So if the rumor was a Feb 9th announcement date, when do they actually announce when the announcement would be?

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member
Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve_Tk

So if the rumor was a Feb 9th announcement date, when do they actually announce when the announcement would be?

I don't believe that they would announce the iPad 2 a full two months before it ships. So unless they are ready to ship by the end of February (not likely) I don't think they will be talking about it. They may talk about iOS 5, they may talk about in app purchases and subscriptions, etc.

How far before shipping the iPhone 4 did they announce it? That should be your guide for how long before the iPad2 ships the announcement will happen.

As to how soon can their be an Apple Event? Invites to the press would go out somewhere between 4 to 10 days in advance.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Originally Posted by Steve_Tk

What rumor is that?

Safe money is Apple sticking with an annual refresh, so we'll hear about iPad 2 in April.

EricW

Senior HTF Member
hey guys. there's 2 things i was hoping you could test for me:

1) compass. if you don't aloready have app that uses a compass like Star Walk, get this for free

http://itunes.apple.com/app/free-hd-compass/id378697811?mt=8

the compass on my ipad never seem to work anymore due to "interference" though it used to work fine

2) try taking a screencap in landscape mode, then go to the photo library and see if the screencap is in fact landscape, or if it's in portrait (my screencaps are always in portrait no matter what).

to take a screencap of your ipad, press the power/sleep button + home button at the same time.

thanks

EricW

Senior HTF Member
pretty cool idea

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/jay-design/padpivot-lap-and-desk-stand-for-your-ipadtablet-or

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
FYI, I got my iPad working again to send email. Turns out it has been happening a lot to other people. My friend's father took his to the Apple Genius, and they reset some mail settings and now his will send emails. I Wish I knew what those settings were. What I did was finally upgrade to OS 4.2. That fixed the email sending problem. Sort of like tossing then baby out with the bathwater, but I was backing it up and one thing led to another. I had been avoiding it up till now. I don't have any issues yet with the rotation lock physical switch missing, yet! I was curious what you guys think of it. I have not upgraded my iPhone 4 to it yet either, I hope it will fix the proximity sensor problem though! The only thing I found of the new OS that is not as good is the magnifying glass when I select text to edit, the text looks blurry in the magnifying glass! Like it's not optimized for the screen resolution. Perhaps it's a perception thing and it was like that before. I'm still getting used to the new OS, so far so good. Though emails take a little longer to send, I bet it's more an issue with my ISP.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
WSJ seems to be Apple's official unofficial leak conduit, though I'm unclear I'd they use specific authors (like the two behind that article).  So I take that as Apple's intentional action to quelch the rumors of Retina Display iPad and set expectations correctly.  Also note much of is banal. The next gen of iPad will have more memory and faster processor?!?! Wow!!! Killer reporting!!! It reads to me like apples effort to control spin.  Now, what about John Gruber's oblique suggestion that the iPad 3 will be out late this year ? Do I read him right? http://daringfireball.net/linked/2011/02/09/hp-touchpad-veer-pre

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks