What's new

Apple iPad 2 buyers and owner's thread (1 Viewer)

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Marco gives his buying advice:

http://www.marco.org/3716727900

Regarding capacity he says this:

If you think you’ll need the 64 GB version, you should consider whether even that will be enough. If it won’t, and you’ll need to “edit” your collections to fit on the iPad anyway, consider whether editing them down to fit into 32 or 16 GB might be worthwhile.
I -could- make 32 gb work if I split my 'on the go' music collection in half, cut out a lot of silly apps, and went from 4 movies 'to watch later' down to 1 or 2. But I think it's worth the $100 to -me- to have the flexibility it provides. Even with judicious editing of what I put on there sometimes I get surprised and don't have enough room to add new things because of the poor way that iTunes handles app updates (ie updating a 1.2gb app like TomTom can require you to have 3GB free while it swaps things around. Keep that in mind while you are budgeting how much space you will really need.

http://www.ilounge.com/index.php/articles/comments/a-brief-guide-to-managing-your-growing-itunes-library/

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Verizon charging activation fee? Charging re-activation fees? Annoying lack lack of good info days before launch. This us where Apples culture of secrecy fails its customers: cultural inability to get important info to customers right before launch. Saw the same priblems with the iphone 4 launch. Uncertain again about what carrier to choose. http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1110803 http://community.vzw.com/t5/Other-Android-Devices/Xoom-35-activation-fee-every-time-you-enable-data/m-p/457388 http://androidforums.com/motorola-xoom/252376-verizon-plan-fees-questions.html#post2386349

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/11/03/08/inside_att_vs_verizon_ipad_2_data_service_plans.html Seems certain: Verizon charges $35 everytime you turn on 3G. I'm going with AT&T. I'm not paying $55 for a month of 1 GB of data.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Wow Dave I never saw that web site before but it reeks havoc on my browser.

Takes almost as long as HTF to load.

Plus I wasn't sure which link I was supposed to look at the page that comes up has a lot of stuff there.

RAF

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
No brainer for me. On Friday I order an iPad2 (color black, don't like white) from the Apple Store using "expedited shipping" (whatever that means), Full 64G Wifi + AT&T 3G. Sandy gets the original iPad. As soon as iPad2 arrives I call AT&T and move my grandfathered unlimited Data plan ($29.99/month) to the new iPad by giving them the IMEI number for the new iPad so that they can move the account over. No SIM card removal required. Nor is it advised. AT&T confirmed that the grandfathered unlimited accounts are transferable to a new device. Sandy will have my "old" iPad and instead of using the 3G feature when away from WiiFi (not that often) she will use the Hot spot feature of her Verizon/iPhone4 to get on the web, etc.

Lots to like with the iPad2 as we wait for iPad3 (retina display? 4G? other??) The grand kids are already lining up to see who gets Sandy's iPad when I get an iPad3

The hardest decision for me with my Black iPad2 is which "smart cover" to buy. I'm leaning toward two covers - one leather (probably black but maybe Red) and one space age polymer (Blue is my first choice). And of course the HDMI cable and Garage Band and iMovie right out of the box. What features and options are others thinking of getting?

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Tony, All the links load fast on my iPhone. But since I copied them and posted from my iPhone, maybe they're mobile optimized and don't work right on a computer. My second post with the link to AppleInsider is the best summary. Scroll down to the Verizon plan section.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Oh and why aren't you buying in store doc? I plan to conveniently stop into the Delaware mall on my way home, saving me 900x.06 dollars or so ;)

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Dave I figured out what link it was and read the confusing, to me, info. Looks like we'll just get a wifi version. Jailbroken iPhone's have an app that allows tethering, might need to look at that. Sam would that be Christiana Mall? that's where we go most of the time, but now that Best BUy sells these, We'll be getting it there once our tax return comes back. Wave to the left of 95 when you go Past Boeing Helicopter, we live a little bit west of there.

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
I go back and forth about the need to update, reading this article:

http://arstechnica.com/apple/news/2011/03/cpu-performance-data-costs-remain-largely-unchanged-for-ipad-2.ars

and I decided to wait, my 64gb 3g is perfect and with the update to ios4.3 today it should be almost as snappy as the new device, there's just not enought to warrant spending an extra 400 bucks on. If revision 3 gets a 7"version, or a retina screen, or 128gb ram availability, then I'll hand this unit off and buy another

RAF

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Originally Posted by Sam Posten /forum/thread/309358/apple-ipad-2-buyers-and-owner-s-thread#post_3788734

Sam,

I go for Chemo today so Friday traditionally is a "bad" day in a Chemo week (days 3, 4 and 5 are the bad ones). The last thing I need to do is to stand in a line somewhere when I can do about the same thing online. It's no big deal to me if I wait a couple of days before getting my iPad2.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Update: my link to AppleInsider was the iPhone-optimized link, which doesn't open in a desktop browser. Here's the all-purpose link. (Web designers have more work to do to ensure a link from one device works on all other devices.)

http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/11/03/08/inside_att_vs_verizon_ipad_2_data_service_plans.html

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
On the question of upgrading from 1 to 2...

I don't have an iPad so buying #2 is a no brainer for me.

But if I had an iPad already? At the end of the day, it's a ~$700 gadget. I don't upgrade $700 gadgets annually, whether it's a TV, receiver, computer, phone, etc. So I doubt I'd upgrade from original to new.

If I had a family (kids), I can imagine buying a new iPad each year as a rolling computer upgrade in the house, enabling every family member to have an iPad. (depending on age of kids, computer needs, etc.)

This is also why I'm not buying two iPads this week. I'm pretty sure I want one of my own, but I'm not sure. By waiting, I might be able to postpone long enough for the second purchase to be an upgraded model.

Steve_Tk

Senior HTF Member
I don't have an iPad either, so the decision to upgrade from nothing is a no brainer!

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I have an iPad 1 wifi model and one thing I'm considering is a 3G model. Nice that you can start and end the service at will. Seems cheaper that trying to tether with my iPhone and pay the extra $20 to AT&T. ( I won't be jailbreaking my iDevices ) Something I don't understand why they charge for, except to generate more income.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Originally Posted by Nelson Au

Something I don't understand why they charge for, except to generate more income.

Nothing more to understand: they do it solely to generate more income. It's double bad because tethering also requires you be on the "data pro" plan, the $25 / 2GB plan. So if you currently have the $15 / 200MB plan, tethering an iPad increases actually costs $35 / 2GB compared to its $25 / 2G on the 3G model. If you use 3G every month, it pays for itself in a year.

Anyone know if tethering can be toggled monthly, like the data plans? For me, that premium on tethering might be worthwhile compared to paying $129 premium on an iPad for my infrequent need.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
It can, this just came up today:

http://twitter.com/#!/GlennF Pro tip: AT&T lets you switch data plan levels (200 MB 2GB) _during_ a month retroactive to the start or pro rata to next change. So if you want to use Personal Hotspot with AT&T, you can turn it on for one day or what have you. Not a monthly commitment. @Navesink You can switch it on/off via myWireless app, AT&T's Web site, & phone cust support. Only billed for days used until you switch.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Right, they changed it so tethering adds another 2GB to your data, for a 4GB allotment for the iPhone and all tethered devices for the month.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks