1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Apple HomePod

Discussion in 'Apple' started by DaveF, Jan 29, 2018.

1. 101 Feb 12, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2018
    dpippel

dpippel HTF Premium Member
    Supporter

Doug
    That's what I'm currently doing with an Echo Dot and my Plex server Mark. It's a nice option to have!

2. 102 Feb 12, 2018
    Raul Marquez

Raul Marquez Supporting Actor

Raul H. Marquez, MD
    REALLY HAPPY with my Sonos One.

Thanks Ron !!

Particularly after this:

3. DavidJ

DavidJ Producer

David
    We have an original Echo that sits in the pass-through between our kitchen/breakfast nook and the living room. The living room has our nice surround system, but it is rare that we will fire it up to listen to music. I'm the only one in the family that does and I don't often find the time for it. My wife and kids will use the Echo to play music while working in the kitchen, playing, studying, etc. They also use it for timers, weather, games, etc.

I'm trying to decide what to do. I'd like to improve the quality of my listening experience, but replacing the Echo might not work since my kids and wife like the other Alexa skills. We have fun with it. I did check out the HomePod and it's pretty good. I was just checking it out at Best Buy so it probably wasn't an optimal scenario. I am very impressed with its listening ability and how well it hears "hey, Siri."

I'm still trying to decide whether to pick one up or a couple of the Sonos Ones. I thought I was going with the Sonos because of the two for the price of one scenario, true stereo, and Alexa integration. But then I started thinking about placement and other than my office at work, the places I would be putting them don't work well for listening in the sweet spot between two speakers. In most of the locations, the HomePod may actually be a better solution.

I had decided to get by with a cheaper speaker and an Echo Dot in my office, but I started to doubt the wisdom of that too. The office is where I listen to music the most. Maybe I should put a couple of Sonos speakers or a HomePod there.

DaveF likes this.
  4. 104 Feb 12, 2018
    Mark Booth

Mark Booth Screenwriter

That guy (Armando Ferreira) is a known to be hateful toward certain Apple products and toward Apple in general.

https://www.cultofmac.com/315646/how-an-android-user-created-a-hit-apple-viral-video/

Which I guess is fair, because there are so many pro-Apple folks around here too. :)

The first part of his video is 100% show. He knew BEFORE he even tried that an Android phone can't be used to set it up. Anyone that doesn't know that isn't paying attention.

My HomePod was simple to set up, I had none of the issues he showed. A friend that bought a HomePod this weekend also had no problems.

As for the 'Sorry for Party Rocking' song he tried... What the HomePod played was a track from the album of the very same name. The track it played is 'Rock the Beat II' on the album 'Sorry for Party Rocking'. He didn't tell it to play the specific song of that name. I just tried on my HomePod and said "Hey Siri, play the song Sorry for Party Rocking" and she played the correct song from the album.

I laughed out loud when his Google Home wouldn't work the way he expected it to for his thermostat. :)

Mark

5. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Founder
    Owner

Ronald Epstein

Mark,

Unless I am missing something, iTunes match is included with Apple Music these days.

6. Mark Booth

Mark Booth Screenwriter

Yes, I know that. My iTunes Match just renewed about two months ago. That's why I said I'll cancel it if I decide to keep Apple Music (which I just activated last week).

Mark

7. Raul Marquez

Raul Marquez Supporting Actor

Raul H. Marquez, MD
  8. Ted Todorov

Ted Todorov Producer

Please - Consumer Reports has turned into a disgrace.

For HomePod users who don't want to wait for AirPlay 2 for multi-room support: https://www.imore.com/how-airplay-multiple-homepods-mac-and-pc-without-having-wait-airplay-2-support

9. 109 Feb 13, 2018 at 10:47 AM
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2018 at 11:39 AM
    Mark Booth

Mark Booth Screenwriter

That's very interesting! Thanks for sharing, Ted!

As for Consumer Reports... It tested the HomePod like it was a traditional analog speaker. They tested it in a treated listening room. The very type of room where Google Home Max and Sonos ONE were designed to sound their best.

Very few audiophiles with fully treated listening rooms are going to bother with a HomePod for music playback in that listening room.

If Consumer Reports had run its tests in a normal living room, kitchen or bedroom, I am VERY confident the HomePod would have come out on top. The HomePod is more digital than analog. Apple designed it so it adjusts itself to sound terrific in EVERY room. The room Consumer Reports used was the BEST case scenario for Google Home Max and Sonos ONE and just another room for HomePod.

Consumer Reports also didn't mention HomePod's ability to sound great REGARDLESS where you are standing in the room. If you move off axis from Google Home Max or Sonos ONE the sound quality changes quite noticeably.

In other words, Consumer Reports didn't adapt its testing method to account for the biggest reasons the HomePod is the best choice for real world everyday listening. Very few people sit down in their easy chair and spend hours listening to music in the sweet spot between a pair of speakers. Most music is listened to while people are doing other things.

Apple just reinvented the speaker. Consumer Reports is still stuck in the 1950s.

Mark

10. Sam Posten

Sam Posten Moderator

Sam Posten
  11. Mark Booth

Mark Booth Screenwriter

Sam Posten likes this.
  12. Dave Scarpa

Dave Scarpa Producer

David Scarpa
    I've always know this but once again i swithed back from AMazon Music Unlimited after comparing once again , with the same headphones and the same track the audio quality between Amazon and Apple Music, and AM just sounds flat out better, there is less compression, there is an openess to the tracks, the Amazon music version just sounds muddy with undefined mids and highs, vocals re so much more full.

13. dpippel

dpippel HTF Premium Member
    Supporter

Doug
    Tidal. ;)

14. Ted Todorov

Ted Todorov Producer

So I set it up for my mom. Impressive with classical music, played Beethoven’s 9th symphony, and a Mozart piano concerto with Murray Perahia. My mom liked it so much, she promptly ordered one more HomePod, though the single one could be heard throughout her two story house.

That said, Apple really needs to have an extra thought about older people, etc. I thought the setup would be as simple as possible and for most of us it would have been. But, first thing it asks for: enable two factor authentication, which my mom disabled some months ago, be she couldn’t get up and hunt for another device when she was asked to. Why the *($(*&#(*&*!?..?! do you absolutely need two factor authentication for the HomePod? Probably someone at Apple got the bright idea that this was a great opportunity to make sure more people have better security. The possible problems for older people are multiple including ones who have no computer devices other than a single iPad (my dad's case for instance ) making it impossible. I guess he is never going to get a HomePod from me...

15. Mark Booth

Mark Booth Screenwriter

The two-factor authentication isn't for HomePod, per se. It's to protect your Apple and iCloud accounts. And, if I recall correctly, Apple said that two-factor authentication would be mandatory at some point. Perhaps the HomePod (and future products) are that point?

Mark

16. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Founder
    Owner

Ronald Epstein
  17. 117 Feb 13, 2018 at 11:32 PM
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2018 at 11:42 PM
    Ted Todorov

Ted Todorov Producer

Maybe I'm misunderstanding the meaning of "two-factor authentication" but is it entirely doable if you have just a single device? And what happens if your only device dies, breaks or is stolen?

Lastly, especially among some older people, some Apple device users could care less about security, but ideally would be back to the early age - in the 2007 iPhone etc. age - where no passwords were required, never mind two-factor authentication - because any security makes things that are already difficult for them essentially unusable.

And yes, I understand that these rules are enforced because people who do use these devices for their bank account or... would still use them with no protection and then get very upset and sue Apple if they get robbed. But there are two entirely different species - some, especially not in the US, etc. have never owned a credit card, have never paid anything in other than cash, have never accessed a bank account other than in person at the bank and view any and all security as an attempt to prevent them from using an iPad to read Gutenberg books and FaceTime the grandkids?

18. 118 Feb 13, 2018 at 11:50 PM
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2018 at 5:50 AM
    Ted Todorov

Ted Todorov Producer

I'm not scratching mine:
    If they are sitting centered in front of the speakers (which they were) that is very conceivable. Of course if they had moved around, like real people do, the non HomePod devices would have immediately lost the contest, because unlike them, the HomePod can sound great *anywhere* in the room. Home Max sounds like crap when you go off center.

19. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Founder
    Owner

Ronald Epstein
    Every review that I have read that puts the Google Max up against anything in its class, buts the Max at a loss. I suppose the fact that they did not move around the room is the most revealing part of that test.

20. Mark Booth

Mark Booth Screenwriter

David Pogue's biggest mistake was that curtain of fabric he suspended between the speakers and the panelists. The HomePod is the only speaker in the group (in the world?) that dynamically adjusts its output based on what its microphones pickup with regard to room acoustics. The curtain, acoustically transparent or not, could have easily resulted in the HomePod dialing back (or boosting) certain frequencies. Yet, the curtain's affect on the other speakers would have been negligible (or, at the very most, equal across them).

The HomePod is a different animal. It is something new. It demands new thinking from those testing it. The "traditional" speaker test doesn't tell the whole story. Pogue should have used blindfolds on the panelists instead of a curtain. And, as Ted pointed out, the panelists should have also been asked to listen off-axis from the traditional speakers' sweet spots. The HomePod is the only speaker tested where the ENTIRE ROOM is the sweet spot.

Somebody stand behind a Sonos ONE or Google Home Max and tell me it sounds exactly the same as standing in front of it. I'll wait here while you try it. :)

Mark