1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Apple HomePod

Discussion in 'Apple' started by DaveF, Jan 29, 2018.

1. Message #261 of 314 Dec 12, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 12, 2018
    dpippel

dpippel HTF Premium Member
    Supporter

Doug

How much were they with sales tax included? ;) They're out of stock online at Target now, but B&H has them for $249 shipped, with no sales tax for most shoppers.

2. Nelson Au

Nelson Au Executive Producer

Yeah, I mulled too long for the Target sale too and it became out of stock. So I didn’t hesitate and went for it at B&H. There was no tax and free shipping.

I should add, no tax for me in California, which surprises me and I fear it will bite me later. Your state may charge taxes.

3. Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina Executive Producer

I won't say anything, Nelson.

4. Nelson Au

;)

5. Message #265 of 314 Dec 13, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 13, 2018
    Mark Booth

Mark Booth Cinematographer
    Supporter

My total, delivered, was $512.44. I had a $12 Target gift card from a previous order screwup via Target.com so my out-of-pocket was $500.44.

My Target ones arrived today. To my disappointment, they were shipped rather loose together in a too-big shipping box. Just one sheet of bubble wrap that did little to prevent them banging into each other. The boxes are banged up at several corners and along several edges. I would NOT give these as gifts, the boxes don't look new.

Worse, both HomePod boxes were missing the plastic wrap around the outside. This resulted in the telescopic box top lifting off the bottom a bit on both of them (they were packaged on their sides). The HomePods themselves were thus loose in their boxes. One of them had clearly been removed from its box before shipping and wasn't repackaged correctly.

In other words, it looks like I got a used or customer return item for at least one of them, if not both. The HomePods look fine physically, I haven't plugged them in yet.

I'm on hold right now with a Target.com customer service supervisor. She's located two new ones at a store reasonably close to me and she's checking with the store to see if they are, indeed, in stock (in the right color and still sealed in plastic). If so, it will be a direct exchange for a 20 minute drive.

If not, I will be returning these and ordering from B&H (if they still have them in stock).

This will be my LAST order with Target.com.

Edit: Target supervisor didn't have any luck finding anymore Space Grey ones in stock anywhere close to us. I will be returning them to Target for a full refund tomorrow. I have a case number that the supervisor assured me would cover any "hassles" I might get when the Target associate sees the banged up boxes. I ordered two from B&H. They aren't in stock right now but they expect more in 1-3 days (according to their website).

Mark

6. dpippel

Supporter

Doug
  7. Nelson Au

Mark, that is a pretty horrible experience with Target. Sounded like the $249 deal was to sell off returned HomePods. I hope you have better luck with B&H.

Speaking of which, I got an email from B&H that the HomePod I ordered is being shipped and I have tracking info. This HomePod will be paired with the first one I got earlier this year when they were first released.

8. Mark Booth

Supporter

Thanks, guys! Happily, I just got an email a few minutes ago, B&H has shipped my two HomePods. That didn't take long.

I think Apple Music being available on other devices is a GREAT idea. I didn't buy my HomePods because I wanted to covet Apple Music. I purchased them because of their best-in-class sound quality and their blend-into-the room attractive appearance.

The more people that give Apple money for products and services the better. Apple is the forerunner with regards to caring about their customer's privacy. If Amazon or Google introduced a $150 smart speaker that was gorgeous and sounded better than HomePod I still wouldn't buy it. I don't trust Amazon or Google with regards to privacy. At least, not remotely as much as I trust Apple.

Mark

9. Ted Todorov

Ted Todorov Producer

I'd say the vast difference in sound quality, not to mention privacy are the HomePod's main advantages.

To put it another way: if I were to get a free Echo, I've paid too much. (Old joke about NYU's computer center receiving free Data General Eclipse mini-computer donation in the 1980's - "NYU paid too much")

10. dpippel

Supporter

Doug
    The HomePod and the Echo definitely have different strengths. Which one is best for you all depends on what you want to do with it. HomePod has better sound quality and (arguably) better privacy. Echo steps all over it for home automation and functionality, but Amazon's privacy practices are certainly not as good as Apple's. Different tools for different jobs.

11. Mark Booth

Supporter

What home automation tasks can be achieved with Echo but not HomePod?

Mark

12. dpippel

Supporter

Doug
    Google is your friend, Mark. ;)

13. Mark Booth

Supporter

I received my two HomePods from B&H today. WOW!!! What a difference between the total crap job that Target.com did and what I received from B&H! Not only were the B&H sourced HomePod boxes still in plastic wrap, not only were the white boxes in perfect condition, but each HomePod was double-boxed in ingeniously designed outer brown boxes (Apple design) and then both were well padded with air pouches in the bigger shipping box. Absolutely perfect.

There is no doubt in my mind that the ones I got from Target were in-store returns or refurbs. I really should have taken better photos of the beat up boxes and reported the incident to the California Department of Consumer Affairs. It's a load of hogwash that Target is selling open-box/refurb items as new.

Mark

Sam Posten likes this.
  14. JQuintana

JQuintana Banned
    BANNED

Me
    As are their Home and Mini's. :)

15. dpippel

Supporter

Doug
    :laugh:

16. Mark Booth

Supporter

I'd NEVER put a Google smart speaker in my home. Apple and Google are at opposite ends of the spectrum when it comes to respecting personal privacy.

Mark

17. JQuintana

JQuintana Banned
    BANNED

Me
    If you're paranoid about stuff like that you might as well toss out all your Apple "I" gadgets, you are just as bad off with Apple stuff as your would be with Google. You're fooling yourself if you think Apple is safer to use.

Also, Homepod's and siri seem to be far less useful compared to Google or Echo. Much much more limited in scope.

18. Nelson Au

My HomePod arrived yesterday from B&H too. Since I ordered one, it came in the Apple design brown cardboard outer box. But no additional external box. It had a dent and wear and tear, but the internally designed structure protected the white Apple box inside. Mine was still in the original clear plastic wrap too. I’ll open it up on Christmas to check it out. I look forward to pairing with my first one to see how the stereo works. :)

19. Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina Executive Producer

Nelson you have a lot more self control than I do.

Sam Posten likes this.
  20. Nelson Au

Ha, ha! Yeah, I’m tempted to open it now. I’ve just got very little time this week.