Apple Hardware Subscription (1 Viewer)

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
Not to derail the thread but reading the CNET article made me think of Google and their apparent commitment to just the opposite strategy with their automatic Chromebook obsolescence plan. Can't believe that's even legal.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Chromebooks are those things that friends with kids get from the school, that they scream at because they’re so janky. Otherwise, I’m completely at sea these days wrt what Google’s doing with chromebooks. :)

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Scroll down. The x does not work.
F6577DE0-EF07-4FBB-9042-244EAB507730.jpeg

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
Scroll down. The x does not work. View attachment 132229
I see what you're referring to now. For this particular one the X worked fine for me but there are other ads as you continue to scroll. These aren't pop-ups though, they're imbedded, which is why no ad blocker can exclude them.

It's a pretty low tactic on CNET's part.

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
Chromebooks are those things that friends with kids get from the school, that they scream at because they’re so janky. Otherwise, I’m completely at sea these days wrt what Google’s doing with chromebooks. :)
That's one use for them but they are also becoming an important part of the Enterprise business model. Because they only run apps from the Google Play store they tend to be very secure, making remote management a snap for system administrators. The Windows platform has introduced a similar concept called "S Mode", hoping to compete. I don't know if the MAC platform has adapted yet but they eventually will.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I see what you're referring to now. For this particular one the X worked fine for me but there are other ads as you continue to scroll. These aren't pop-ups though, they're imbedded, which is why no ad blocker can exclude them.

It's a pretty low tactic on CNET's part.
Ad blockers exclude them just fine.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
That's one use for them but they are also becoming an important part of the Enterprise business model. Because they only run apps from the Google Play store they tend to be very secure, making remote management a snap for system administrators. The Windows platform has introduced a similar concept called "S Mode", hoping to compete. I don't know if the MAC platform has adapted yet but they eventually will.
Ah. These aren’t used in my industry. We’re just boring windows 10 desktops.

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
Ad blockers exclude them just fine.
An ad blocker can only block what it recognizes as an ad. This is done via meta data contained in the HTML scripts. My ad blocker caught 4 of them but some of the ones on CNET's pages are presented as if they were part of the relevant article instead of being separately served by a service like Google Ads.

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
on my iPad, and iphone too I think, 1Blocker caught and blocked all ads including the one giving Sam grief, it appeared.

1Blocker isn’t perfect, but it seemed to do a fine job in this case
I’m still using Legacy 1Blocker on my iPhone but have been thinking lately about buying the new version.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
If they do this, will that be the only way to have an iphone, pay a monthly subscription fee?

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein

I am paying about $58-$59 a month for the top-tier Pro Max iPhone with 256GB and the upgrade program.

Now, I do realize the prices in the above article were only estimates. Who knows how much it will cost per month to lease an iPhone. However, if they can reduce the cost to $50 per month or below I would still be happy with that -- but I don't know how Apple would make money reducing costs further.

The worst thing about the upgrade program is forcing the customer to take Apple Care.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
I am paying about $58-$59 a month for the top-tier Pro Max iPhone with 256GB and the upgrade program.

Now, I do realize the prices in the above article were only estimates. Who knows how much it will cost per month to lease an iPhone. However, if they can reduce the cost to $50 per month or below I would still be happy with that -- but I don't know how Apple would make money reducing costs further.

The worst thing about the upgrade program is forcing the customer to take Apple Care.

Well, you can be sure they'll require (at least some form/degree/variation of) AppleCare for leased products... just as all other businesses/industries usually do (require insurance or similar) at least to some extent (to secure their "investments")...

_Man_

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Well, you can be sure they'll require (at least some form/degree/variation of) AppleCare for leased products... just as all other businesses/industries usually do (require insurance or similar) at least to some extent...

_Man_

Oh, I am certain they will.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks