What's new

Apple, Google, Intel, Pixar and others face Sherman Anti-Trust case (1 Viewer)

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Reportedly, agreements amongst each other - in part bolstered by conversations in Job's books, indicate that companies had an "informal agreement" to prevent employees from leaving one company and moving to another..

http://www.engadget.com/2012/04/20/antitrust-suit-carries-on-against-intel-apple-google-and-other/

Part of this goes back to documents and work uncovered in the Jobs book and before, in which executives from companies made informal agreements to not go after other employees.

http://www.theverge.com/2012/1/27/2753701/no-poach-scandal-unredacted-steve-jobs-eric-schmidt-paul-otellini

Google's director of staffing Arnnon Geshuri[I said:
[/I]revealed the existence of a formal Do Not Call list in an email to Eric Schmidt, such as the ones that the Justice Department claimed in the original 2010 settlement.]

Numerous companies are named in this plan to keep employees locked into one company or to prevent bidding wars for employees, fixing employee costs

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
I hope they lose on this one, it's a terrible policy for, you know, actual human beings.
I hope Apple loses on the iBooks thing, and I hope Amazon ALSO loses.
And I hope the government looks into the possibility of price fixing on other DRM schemes too.
Burn them all.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Originally Posted by Sam Posten /t/320187/apple-google-intel-pixar-and-others-face-sherman-anti-trust-case#post_3918499
I hope they lose on this one, it's a terrible policy for, you know, actual human beings.
I hope Apple loses on the iBooks thing, and I hope Amazon ALSO loses.
And I hope the government looks into the possibility of price fixing on other DRM schemes too.
Burn them all.

Both Amazon and iBooks need to lose on their deals, I agree. I'm trying to think of another major DRM that takes up enough market % to call for price fixing to be valid

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
hah.. no, I don't even think that's the point.. this is one of those stories that is much more about the technology market . as Google, Intuit, Pixar, LucasArts, etc. are also all named in the lawsuit. It's much more about the practices. That having been said, the one who is going to get most of the attention on this one is Apple..

But right now there are really two... the one involving iBooks is important for users of any Apple component because ibooks is a central technology and significant changes in how that will work going forward will make changes in the way Apple plans it's forays into the ebook market.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
This falls into the realm of "Be Evil"Undoubtedly there will be some inconsequential financial penalty, and all the engineers will have to undergo annual training on the topic. And the execs will emerge unscathed.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks