What's new

Apple G5 Commercials Banned (1 Viewer)

John Thomas

Senior HTF Member
Here's an interesting article concerning the G5 commercials being banned in the UK due to false advertising:

Linkage

"...the results of limited tests in which the specification of the computers used was configured to give Apple the best results."

Surprise, surprise. ;)

Aurel Savin

Supporting Actor
I am surprised that Apple still beats the "we don't crash as often as PC/Windows" issue to death.

Being a web developer and using a PC for 12-14 hours a day, I don't remember the last time I had to reboot or had major glitches with Windows XP.

But I do remember clearly when working as a Network Admin having always lockup issues on Macs.

John Thomas

Senior HTF Member
I thought the subject was about the banning of a commercial. The TV area perhaps? ;)

But thanks for adding to the conversation.

Now, regarding the issue at hand here's what I found amusing:

"He found that the claim was not supported by independent reviews and that at best "the G5 was generally as fast as the best Intel-based workstations currently available"

"as fast as the best Intel-based workstations currently available" just wouldn't sell as well I don't think. :D

John Thomas

Senior HTF Member
I would hope that we could get this back on topic and not try to shoot it down before it even starts.

I surely don't want to see-

Administrator! Weee blah de blahdey blah blah! Wacka wacka weeeeeeee! This thread boopity boopy boop boop be boop!

:laugh:

Garrett Lundy

Senior HTF Member
Owning both a Windows XP Pro PC and a Mac OS X I can say the following:

*Not playing 3-d shooting games or editing a major movie, I cant find any reason to believe a 400mhz computer will let me access the internet any faster/better than a 2gigahertz computer.

*I've yet to have to reboot my Mac, but I do get "Unknown error: send report" messages every now and then. This may be because OS X "Panther" is a few days old, and they have kinks to work out. My Windows PC has to be rebooted if I try to do three things at once (assuimng one is burning a CD). But my Win XP Pro computer is five years old.

*iTunes rules!

*Macs have one-button mice, stupid engineers

Seth--L

Screenwriter

I posted about this in the computer forum.

I'm running Avid Xpress Pro on my P4 2.2GHz Dell. It works just as well on my computer than on any Mac and G5 (though obviously the G5 will render faster). So basically Macs being the best for digital video editing is now a myth.

Patrick Larkin

Screenwriter
So basically Macs being the best for digital video editing is now a myth.
Unless you are using Final Cut Pro which is Mac only. Coen Bros edited Intolerable Cruelty using it.

And I agree with Garrett. Speed is relative. For instance, my 1.25GHz G4 running Panther is as fast as I can work when doing routine GUI activities and web browsing. However, the difference between the speed of Jaguar and Panther is VERY noticeable making me think a lot of speed is a product of the operating system. MacOS X is so young and just beginning its optimization.

Len Cheong

Second Unit
Macs are beautiful. They are used in movies, tv shows, magazine ads, etc. Performance wise? Well, that's another thing.

Seth--L

Screenwriter

Well duh Mac only software works best with Macs. There's nothing that FCP can do that Avid can't do. They probably went with FCP because the studio has a contract with Apple, or Apple gave them free computers and software in return to be able to advertise that a major Hollywood film used their software. Point is, the Coen Bros could have just as easily edited the film on a PC using a program like Avid.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks