1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Apple Fall event official for October 30th

Discussion in 'Apple' started by Sam Posten, Oct 18, 2018.

Tags:
  1. DavidJ

DavidJ Producer

David
    This is exactly what I am contemplating. I was wondering about the mini for use at home as a Logic Pro machine and media server at some future point. I currently have a mid-2014 MBP as a shared home machine.

2. JohnRice

JohnRice Executive Producer

John
    That doesn't sound very demanding, if you mean media server, not HTPC. I put my 2012 Quad core Mini under a lot more processing demand than that. It should do great. I suspect the i5 Six Core model would do for you.

DavidJ likes this.
  3. JohnRice

John
    I ordered my Mini today. I decided to start a THREAD for 2018 Mac Mini owners.

4. DavidJ

DavidJ Producer

David
    I would be running quite a few virtual instruments within Logic which will require processing power. I do use many video and photo editing programs at work, but don’t plan to do much of that at home so that’s not a big concern for me. It just would be nice if the capability was there.

5. Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina Executive Producer

If you're really worried, wait for barefeats.com to do a benchmark comparison. Usually they do it within a couple of weeks of hardware releases. I would think CPU wise the 6 core would more than handle any complicated tasks Logic can throw at it, and of course you'd want to put as much RAM as made sense for you (and if you're comfortable with that iFixit video, you can DIY the added RAM for a fraction of the cost).

Honestly if you're running Logic fine on a 2014 MBP, you should notice a considerable improvement on a new Mini. Esp if you add external SSDs to compensate for internal SSD price gouging by Apple.

DavidJ likes this.
  6. Carlo Medina

DavidJ likes this.
  7. DavidJ

DavidJ Producer

David
  8. JohnRice

John
  9. Carlo Medina

10. JohnRice

John
    Thanks @Carlo Medina , my question is, how important are the GPU stats to someone who isn't editing video or gaming? I looked into it a bit more, and it's not actually that big a deal with Photoshop. The GPU in the Mini is enough to enable the few things Photoshop uses it for, and it's such selected things, I don't think it will make that much difference. The thing is, the guys who do these tests place an unnatural priority on gaming. I don't think most people game, and those who do, if they get a Mini, will add an even better GPU than is available in an iMac anyway.

11. Cameron Yee

Cameron Yee Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Cameron Yee
    My assumption is the emphasis on gaming is that it's the most demanding use situation, but -- like you said -- it doesn't seem to mesh with how most people are using the machine. While the Engadget review had its flaws, it was helpful in that it provided a realistic use case around video editing and described the advantage GPU provides for that kind of work.

12. JohnRice

John
    I came across a video, but didn't post it here, where they really hammered the i7 model. No matter how hard and long they hit it, it never dropped below 3.4 GHz, which is still above the rated clock speed, and was usually higher than that.

These reviewers just have no imagination. The Mini is now a great core machine, and just the i5 is more than most people will ever need. Then, if you have specific demands, you have options for really juicing it up, with an eGPU or an external M.2 drive and so on. Even after adding those, it's still cheaper than the other Mac options.

13. Sam Posten

Sam Posten Moderator

Sam Posten
    The upcoming top pick for most people in our guide to the best MacBooks, the MacBook Air (2018, 8GB RAM, 128 GB SSD), now available for $981 (from $1200) w/ code APPLE15 Buy: http://wrctr.co/2DLyzWb