What's new

Apple Fall event official for October 30th (1 Viewer)

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Yeah. Won’t be using it for those either. Especially since I don’t own licenses to either. Logic Pro tops. Mostly as a media server.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
I think even Apple is aware of it, because in their most recent iPad video they mentioned how well it performs in "Photoshop...yes, real Photoshop". Acknowledging that mobile versions of powerful programs are a pale shadow of their fully functional counterparts.

Now understand, with prior iPad hardware this made total sense. Try running full Photoshop on iPad Air, or even the first version of iPad Pro, and you'll have a sub-par performance.

But with the tremendous strides Apple has made with their ARM chip performance, Apple is going to come to have to come to a reckoning with regards to how (IMO it's not a matter of if, but when) they'll eventually integrate iOS and MacOS.

Now I don't mean to imply that they'll fully merge the two (but I won't rule that out either), but that at some point, with the computing power gap between iOS and MacOS devices narrowing, iOS will need to be more robust and allow more powerful apps to run on increasingly powerful mobile devices.

I think we'll know a whole lot more around 2020 (good lord it feels weird to write that year...remember when 2001 was a movie about the future?) when rumor sites speculate that ARM performance will make it feasible for Apple to migrate from Intel to ARM for their computer line. If at that point both MacOS and iOS devices are running on ARM CPUs...what sense does it make to continue to have two wildly divergent OSes?

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
I wish IT would let me replace my work computer with one. It’s a Dell with an i3 running Windows 7 and it’s so sssssllllllloooooowwwwww. Most mornings I wanna scream when I have to reboot it because of a BSOD.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I'm getting jazzed about getting a new Mini. I think I'll do something a little crazy. I have a couple of these LaCie dual 2.5" thunderbolt enclosures, and I think I'm going to set one up as a dual SSD RAID 0 for a work file/scratch drive for Photoshop. The file sizes can get pretty enormous and they get slow to work with. I'm curious how much that would improve things. I know it's a common practice with photo, and especially video. I actually don't know how much a scratch drive is used, but I think that even with 32GB RAM, it does get used with some of these really big PS files.

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
The tear down looks pretty simple. If I get wife approval for a Mac Mini and QNAP RAID enclosure this winter, I’m definitely getting the entry level Mini with an i7 processor upgrade, 128Gb SSD, and 8GB of RAM that I can swap for 64GB from OWC.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I like videos better than just still photos for installation instructions. My go-to for them is always OWC, but they haven't posted theirs yet. I did come across this one that shows exactly what you need to see.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
I got the new Mini hooked up. It works. :)

Actually, it's been a little more interesting decommissioning the old iMac. I pulled the dead hard drive yesterday and it was easier than I thought it would be, although that was probably helped by not having the stress of it being an upgrade where I still needed things to be functional after I put it back together.

The iMac still works with an external boot drive over FW800, which makes it tempting to hold onto, but it is probably better off getting donated to the local e-cycler, who can find a good home for it. Frankly, it's a bit too large to use anywhere else in my house, but if anyone has any idea on how to re-use it let me know.

I'll be getting the 27" monitor next week.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
That can be done. The basic issue though is that we don't really have a place for such a large device. So donation for refurbishment is going to be its fate.

Thomas Newton

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Newton
The iMac still works with an external boot drive over FW800, which makes it tempting to hold onto, but it is probably better off getting donated to the local e-cycler, who can find a good home for it. Frankly, it's a bit too large to use anywhere else in my house, but if anyone has any idea on how to re-use it let me know.

Perhaps you could use it in Target Display Mode.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204592

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member
We'll see if I end up getting a Mac Pro or Mac Mini next year when the Pro get released. I think the likeliest thing to guide my decision is what the potential internal storage of Mac Pro is. If it is the same for either the Mini or Pro a (other than a larger single SSD in the Pro), forcing me to buy an external RAID drive to compete with the current internal 50TB in my 2009 cheese grater Mac Pro. Considering a RAID that supports at least that much costs $3,500 on apple.com a Mini might be a safer (i.e. vastly cheaper) bet.

If the new Mac Pro has 4 user upgradable SSD slots + 3 free PCIe slots (which could also house SSDs - that is how I've installed the boot SSD on my 2009 Mac Pro) it would still be worth it. 50TB worth SSDs would neither be possible nor affordable now, but give it a few years, and they will become both possible and affordable. (7 x 8TB SSDs = 56TB - infinitely faster than the current spin drives.)

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
If the new Mac Pro has 4 user upgradable SSD slots + 3 free PCIe slots (which could also house SSDs - that is how I've installed the boot SSD on my 2009 Mac Pro) it would still be worth it. 50TB worth SSDs would neither be possible nor affordable now, but give it a few years, and they will become both possible and affordable. (7 x 8TB SSDs = 56TB - infinitely faster than the current spin drives.)
I'd be very surprised if the Pro had that many slots. Maybe some PCIe, but with Thunderbolt 3, I just don't see them including that many internal slots. Do you really need a RAID for that as opposed to just some way to add that much storage, or a software RAID solution in OSX? I see external 8 bay enclosures with hardware RAID for $350-400 and without for less. I have an 8 bay enclosure I use for a multi drive spanned volume that cost me about $250, as I recall.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OttoIsHere
Recent bookmarks